Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 AM

8 posts, read 84,323 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just have a little question...
I have to take the go train to Mississauga to go to work and I don't want to take any transport, bus, before that train.
So I guess I have to find an apartment near Union Station.
do u know if the go train has different stops?
If there are different stops, I will have more possibilities for apartments...and maybe I won't have to be close to union station.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 AM

51 posts, read 118,457 times
Yes, the GO train lines have stops on their way to and from Union Station. If you could tell us which stop or train line your work is at we could give you more specific information.

Two things to consider in any case. One is that the GO train operates in such a way that in general the further you travel the more you pay (so the closer to your work the better). Secondly, I really hope your work is either really close to the GO station you are getting off at or at least has excellent bus connections (a second fare) because this can be potentially a miserable commute.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,085,926 times
How come you don't want to live in Mississauga if you will work there? It's cheaper than Toronto.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM

301 posts, read 1,326,990 times
Cheslina, isn't your stop in Mississauga going to be at Square One? I'm pretty sure that will require a GO Bus, not a Go Train. A GO Train from downtown Toronto will take you to the Port Credit station in Mississauga, but then you will have to make your way north to Square One--- about a 20 minute bus ride.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Well I have to take the go until square one.
I know it's a long commute but I really wanted to live downtown, plus, I checked the prices of the condos near square one and it's almost the same prices with Toronto.

So now I need to figure out, where I could settle, I need to know where are the go train stops to start searching for my apartment.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM

161 posts, read 520,844 times
There's one by Kipling, in Etobicoke. You should live near there. You'll be able to get down-town easily and get to Square One easily.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM

301 posts, read 1,326,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheslina View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Well I have to take the go until square one.
I know it's a long commute but I really wanted to live downtown, plus, I checked the prices of the condos near square one and it's almost the same prices with Toronto.

So now I need to figure out, where I could settle, I need to know where are the go train stops to start searching for my apartment.

Well considering you want to be as close to Union Station as possible (where the Go buses / trains depart), I would start looking around the St Lawrence Market area. Keep in mind, that whole area around Union Station is a condo jungle, so there's no shortage of apartments (rental condos) to consider.

You can rent a nice, new and clean one bedroom, one bath condo around Square One for around $1200. Wouldn't you love the idea of being able to walk 3 minutes from your apartment to the Square One bus depot and catch a single bus from there? I moved from central Toronto to Mississauga in order to be closer to work. My quality of life is much improved now that I commute 20 minutes to work instead of the 90 minutes (more in winter) it would take me when I live in Toronto.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:51 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Well considering you want to be as close to Union Station as possible (where the Go buses / trains depart), I would start looking around the St Lawrence Market area. Keep in mind, that whole area around Union Station is a condo jungle, so there's no shortage of apartments (rental condos) to consider.

You can rent a nice, new and clean one bedroom, one bath condo around Square One for around $1200. Wouldn't you love the idea of being able to walk 3 minutes from your apartment to the Square One bus depot and catch a single bus from there? I moved from central Toronto to Mississauga in order to be closer to work. My quality of life is much improved now that I commute 20 minutes to work instead of the 90 minutes (more in winter) it would take me when I live in Toronto.
cheslina, as determined as you seem to be to live in downtown Toronto, eastwestman is really trying to do you a huge favour here. You don't want to do that commute on a daily basis, particularly in the winter. There won't be much time for exploring and urban shenanigans during the workweek, anyway.

I'd find a place in Mississauga and catch the bus and/or train to downtown Toronto on the weekends. You can even use Priceline to get a cheap hotel room every now and then if you want to overnight in downtown Toronto and you don't have a partner living down there or none of your friends has a place for you to sleep.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheslina View Post
Hi,

I just have a little question...
I have to take the go train to Mississauga to go to work and I don't want to take any transport, bus, before that train.
So I guess I have to find an apartment near Union Station.
do u know if the go train has different stops?
If there are different stops, I will have more possibilities for apartments...and maybe I won't have to be close to union station.

Thanks in advance for your help,

All the GO info you can handle: GOTransit.com - Home Page

Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 AM

Thanks for your answers...

Is it impossible to rent an apartment without a Sin number and credit report?
I didn't arrive in Canada yet and I am wondering if I will have to wait for all these to get an apartment?

Thanks in advance,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto