U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 AM

53 posts, read 287,764 times

Advertisements

im 23, irish male and moving to toronto in the about a month.

ive a few questions about toronto...

whats the weather like there in october?

is there any dangerous places in toronto i should avoid? where they mite be heroin addicts or any anti-social gangs haha

is it expensive to a rent a place in toronto? (im head over there on my own so ill be probly only looking for a one bedroom apartment, and in a safe area ha)

thank you..

much love!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 PM

50 posts, read 105,042 times
You have work? A budget? Toronto is a big place.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 AM

53 posts, read 287,764 times
no dont have work yet, gonna start looking online soon enough. and just gonna look for work when i get there too, if i dont get something before i go!

id be probly be going for a cheap place, something only a couple of 100 bucks.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:30 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,617,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhead View Post
im 23, irish male and moving to toronto in the about a month.

ive a few questions about toronto...

whats the weather like there in october?

is there any dangerous places in toronto i should avoid? where they mite be heroin addicts or any anti-social gangs haha

is it expensive to a rent a place in toronto? (im head over there on my own so ill be probly only looking for a one bedroom apartment, and in a safe area ha)

thank you..

much love!!
Go to google.com and type in Toronto+weather, for example.
The site below gives the current temperature of Toronto, and also its historical weather.
Toronto, Ontario - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada

Bookmark the following site. It contains information useful such as housing, health, employment, community & recreation, legal services, and etc. Read up all topics under "Rent a Home", Step 2 and Step 3, especially on "Tenant Rights and Responsibilities".
Information about housing newcomers to Ontario can trust

You mention neither the type of jobs you are interested in, nor your skillset.

To serve F&B and work in a kitchen, you need Ontario's mandatory Food Handler Certificate, and most likely your employer (the restaurant) will sponsor you. If you want to read up the course materials, you can download the pdf files here.
Food Handler Certification Program - Toronto Public Health

A couple hundred dollars for a room, that sounds like a youth hostel. Have you search the YMCAs in GTA? Again, you can "google" this information. Or search the travel sites.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 584 times
I'm moving to Toronto from port hope.. I can deal with people and addiction and wanna continue my work with heroin addicts where would the best areas b to find people with heroin addiction

Old 07-14-2015, 03:32 PM

4,310 posts, read 10,210,339 times
A couple of hundred bucks a month???

I can't see that happening in Toronto even for a shared accommodation. Even a basement apartment is about $1000+.

I hope you have done some realistic planning on how you will survive and what kind of a job you will work at etc.. And I assume you will have a work visa, otherwise, you'll be in trouble.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:24 AM

479 posts, read 363,713 times
The most affordable places in Toronto are on the fringes -- South Etobicoke isn't bad and more areas in Etobicoke have reliable transit access than in the other suburbs.

Downtown Toronto is very expensive now. But, you can still get a shared situation in Kensington Market or near to the U of T campuses (especially near to ChinaTown) - but you need to share with more than one other person to get costs under $500.

Cheaper places are up in North York area, an hour and half out of downtown by public transit. I've never looked for accommodation in Scarberia but I'm sure costs are more affordable there - transit really sucks though and the scenery can be very bleak. It was built for industrial efficiency and for drivers, not for beauty.

Try searching the east end of downtown (called The Danforth).

Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM

479 posts, read 363,713 times
Oh, and Eglinton & Oakwood area, Weston Road area - you can get rooms and shares up there that are still affordable.

Toronto is safe. Just carry yourself with intelligence, mind your manners, and trust your instincts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto