U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 12,615 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I have been considering a relocation to Ontario for a while and I recently came across a position in downtown Toronto that could be right up my alley. My two main concerns are 1) my boyfriend is a US citizen in the field of accounting and I'm unsure how difficult it may be for him to find work on a NAFTA Visa and 2) I don't know what the cost of living would be like in Toronto and surrounding areas (I am from Montreal).

With regard to my boyfriend, the concerns I have with him finding a job are due to the fact that he does not have a professional designation (e.g. CMA), which seems to be sought in many of the ads I've seen. He does have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting. I have also noticed that many (not all) accounting jobs seem to be listed through agencies, and I don't think this is an avenue he can take as a US citizen. He has applied for jobs from his current location and has had no luck. He feels if he is in the area, he might have a better chance.

We would consider other areas, like Burlington, or Ottawa, but I'm not sure the job prospects would be as great for my boyfriend. So the one thing I do feel good about is that Toronto may be one of the better cities in terms of offering greater job possibilities, but I do worry about cost of living, most especially rent prices. Ideally, I would like to be paying around $800 or at most $1000 for a two bedroom apartment/condo, but I don't know if this is realistic for something that is not a basement apartment. I also don't know which areas would be good to live in (nice, safe neighbourhoods), more affordable, while still being fairly accessible to downtown.

Any insight/feedback on any of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 AM

950 posts, read 2,462,937 times
Easiest way to get a sense is to look at links online for Toronto.
Look up rental prices for housing on Toronto papers like the Sun or the Star
Look at grocery store coupons.
Car prices etc.
You can then compare to what similar items are in your area.

I think 800-1000 for a 2 bedroom is a bit low but it depends on where in Toronto you want to live. It's a big place

Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 AM

30 posts, read 130,478 times
$800-$1000 is a bit low for any 2 bedroom apt/condo near any type of civilization in Toronto. 2 Bedroom condos will be pricy and small. Most likely looking in the $1700-$2100/month range depending where you are looking to live. Apartments on the other hand, you can find a 2 bedroom for about $1300-$1700 in an okay area. Just don't expect to be next to a subway station or in the middle of the city for this price.

You can check out CL to get an idea of what the market is like:
toronto apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 12,615 times
Default Thank you

I'm sorry this is late. Thank you both for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto