U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 PM

125 posts, read 600,129 times

Advertisements

Hi there!!

I will be visiting Toronto (from Atlanta) for a week in early Nov... this will be my first trip to Canada. I will be flying in for business - flying in Sunday morning (arriving early, before noon) and returning home Friday evening. I'll be free to enjoy Toronto most nights after 4ish pm, and all day Sunday!

*I'll be flying into YYZ.
*I'll be staying at the Delta Markham (my business mtgs will be in Markham, and this is where they suggested)
*I will be renting a car.
*I'm a 28 year old single African American female... enjoy mixed diverse crowds, etc.

Okay... now that those details are out of the way, I have some questions!!

(1) The 'oh-so-typical' restaurant question. I don't need anything fancy... in fact, I prefer less 'fancy' foods... hoping for some ideas close to the hotel, too. Faves: Cuban, Caribbean, Jamaican, Thai, etc.
(2) I reallllyyyy want to get out and see local nightlife. Please note that I plan to go out alone some nights (without co-workers, etc.) so safety is KEY. Interested in bars, lounges... anything with a social late 20's-early 40's crowd...
(3) Shopping. Any reccs would be appreciated... from local 'must see' shops to Louis Vuitton boutiques, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM

364 posts, read 1,109,742 times
You will be right near a great deal of shopping.
My dh is in Markham for business sometimes and my favorite restaurant nearby is Alice Fazooli's. You may also like The Marlowe Best Fine Dining Restaurant & Banquet Hall | Richmond Hill
There are lots of Caribbean people in Toronto, but I haven't tried any restaurants to help you out with the ethnic food.
As for shopping, you know things are cheaper in the US and you have more options here, right?
You may want to check out the Roots Woodbine at First Markham Place.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM

3,742 posts, read 4,657,152 times
Hi ATL Gal. See Below for my thoughts:

(1) The 'oh-so-typical' restaurant question. I don't need anything fancy... in fact, I prefer less 'fancy' foods... hoping for some ideas close to the hotel, too. Faves: Cuban, Caribbean, Jamaican, Thai, etc.

- Since you are staying in Markham, you are in one of the best areas (Markham and Richmond Hill) for authentic Cantonese cooking outside of Asia. My favorites are:

- Omei (Omei Restaurant) Excellent food, especially anything out of the live tank. The Lobster 4 ways dinner is hands down my favorite food experience in Toronto, bar none.

- Tanchikee (Tanchikee Restaurant, (905) 882-9838 Tanchikee Restaurant, Restaurant Richmond Hill.) Great down home Cantonese cooking. The Snake Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods.

- John's Chinese BBQ (Johns Chinese B B Q Restaurant - Restaurants-Chinese in Markham Ontario - Goldbook.ca) Best place for BBQ Pork and meats. Excellent Rice dishes too.

- Pacific Mall (pacificmall toronto) Huge Chinese shopping center with basically any item you could think of. Great experience for a visitor wanting a Hong Kong Shopping Court experience.

Otherwise, I would recommend you stay away from Cuban in Toronto because there are no authentic or good Cuban places to eat. Also Jamaican food is SO much better in Atlanta than Toronto, despite the city having a large population. Especially if you spend any time in Stone Mountain, GA, anything there will blow away what Toronto has to offer for Jamaican Cooked Food.

Something Jamaican that is very well represented in Toronto are Jamaican Bakeries though. Try Randy's (Randy's Take-Out Service Ltd. - home of delicious Randy's Patties) and Allan's (Allan's Pastry - Scarborough - Scarborough - Caribbean Restaurants | OurFaves.com) for excellent Patties, Plantain Tarts and Gizzada. I am Jamaican so I fully endorse those two.

Thai: Sukho Thai (Sukho Thai) is my favorite.

Otherwise here is a short hit list of other places I would recommend:

- Nota Bene (Toronto Restaurant | Nota Bene Restaurant :: Welcome)
- Chiado for Portuguese (Chiado)
- Beast (Beast Restaurant)
- Guu for Japanese Izakaya (Guu Toronto)
- Pizzeria Libretto for Neopolitan Pizza (Pizzeria Libretto*-*Real Neapolitan Pizza in Toronto)

(2) I reallllyyyy want to get out and see local nightlife. Please note that I plan to go out alone some nights (without co-workers, etc.) so safety is KEY. Interested in bars, lounges... anything with a social late 20's-early 40's crowd...

- I am really out of the club scene in Toronto when I go back to visit, so I will leave that to someone else. I do like going out for cocktails and people watching when I am in town though. Favorites are:

- Drake Hotel: Drake Hotel
- Rooftop lounge at Thompson Hotel: Rooftop Lounge | Thompson Hotels

(3) Shopping. Any reccs would be appreciated... from local 'must see' shops to Louis Vuitton boutiques, etc.

- Yorkville is the heart of Toronto's designer and local shopping scene. A stroll down there is recommended. You will find alot of the same Designer stores as you have in Atlanta though...at much higher prices as well. But a nice place for a stroll and maybe to stop off for a drink at a bar.

Bloor-Yorkville » Toronto, Ontario

Enjoy your trip, hope this was of benefit to you.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM

325 posts, read 991,120 times
Toronto is a very safe city, you'll have a great time. That said, your hotel is a long way away from Toronto - about a $50 cab ride one way from any of the places you'll want to go.

What I would suggest you do is consider getting a hotel on the northern yonge subway line. Yonge/Eglinton would be even better but a longer commute to your meetings. You're renting a car anyway, so driving from say the Novotel hotel at yonge/sheppard to Markham isn't far, but when you go out at night you'll be on the subway line which is much preferred to driving and lets you drink too. Also, there will be stuff to do outside your door unlike in Markham.

source: Lived in Toronto last 15 years, spent first 20 in Markham.

For clubs to check out, you'll want to explore the King Street West area too. Very lively and not too club-kiddy. But I'm a married guy with a kid now, so my info may not be the most current.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,670,143 times
I'd go to chowhound.com to see food recs. I used to go to this place on Sheppard East of the 404 but I can't find it on google. For shopping closer to Markham go to Bayview Village (Sheppard/Bayview). An upscale mall with nice shops.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,645,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGal View Post

*I'll be staying at the Delta Markham
*I will be renting a car.
*I'm a 28 year old single African American female... enjoy mixed diverse crowds, etc.

Okay... now that those details are out of the way, I have some questions!!

Per Google Map, Delta Markham to Toronto downtown is 30km and 29 mins away. Good luck with hunting down addresses and securing a parking spot. That's why I usually ended up with a cab.

On urbanspoon website, there are 177 Caribbean restaurants.
Toronto Caribbean Restaurants | Urbanspoon

This is an informative and useful site for visitors to Toronto.
Toronto Restaurants and GTA Dining Guide. Dine.TO.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,645,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGal View Post
(3) Shopping.
Must buy-list:

The finest Ontario's Ice Wine
("Canada and Germany are the world's largest producers of ice wines. About 75 percent of the ice wine in Canada comes from Ontario.")

Maple Syrup
("Quebec is by far the largest producer, making about three-quarters of the world's output")

Canada Goose outerwear
Canada Goose » Where to Buy (http://www.canada-goose.com/where-to-buy/ - broken link)

Lululemon Athletica
find your local lululemon athletica store location

If I can think of more items later on, I shall add them here.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,799,673 times
One place that stands out for me is First Class Delites on Weston Road. They serve up a great jerk chicken w/ peas and rice. Mmmmm..mmmm...Saliva is dripping from my mouth as I type this..

Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 PM

125 posts, read 600,129 times
Thanks so much, everyone!!! I will make note of everything and do some more research on the info listed!

Thanks again - it is GREATLY appreciated!!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:39 AM

2,753 posts, read 4,233,730 times
How about taking GO train/bus if she had some drinks? I'm not from the Markham area, but I've taken the GO bus from Unionville Station and it was pretty quick. Main thing is that Unionville Station was pretty deserted (no taxis), although this was on a holiday. Is the situation different at other times of the day, or other stations in the area (Richmond Hill, Agincourt, Old Cummer)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto