Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 48,760 times

Advertisements

Hi People,

We are trying to assess if we should move to Toronto next year after living 3 years in Montreal and having a kid of almost 3 yrs who was born here. We are expecting another one for the coming year My employer is multi-national IT company and I have been working with them for the last 6 years. I have so many questions in my head for which I want your opinion/suggestions but before that here are the motives for our move (or plan for move at this point).

- Better Quality of life (Toronto being bigger and main city)
- English Education for my child (Thinking of starting pre-school at 3)
- Cultural aspects (i.e. more options to relate to culture in Toronto than in montreal)
- Change of role or job with the same or other employer

Now the situation is:

- I am evaluating between change of location on the same role with the same employer (to reduce the risk for new location) or change of location with the new role and new employer (risk is higher as new role, new employer and effort required)
- We are having our 2nd baby towards Jul-Aug so changing location would mean new doctor (search as well), new medical system (which BTW, I hate in Montreal already) but at the sametime know much better since our first child was born here.
- My child is good at English conversation but none in french coz we (mom & dad) know very very little french so on the long run we will not be able to help her out with the french education. Also, I believe French as Secondary language is fine but if its the main language than its not helping us.

And now the questions are:

- I want to stay in a neighborhood that is nice, clean, upscale, low crime rate, multi-cultural families, good schools, medical facilities i.e. clinics/hospitals and have recreational spots for weekends either within Toronto city or in suburb as long as it would be 30 mins one side to office considering office is in downtown. The closest I found to my criteria were Etobicoke, Mississauga and Markham. We are originally from Pakistan so thinking easy access to Pakistan/Indian community, food & recreational stuff etc. But we are more of a Condo family like we prefer to live close to the main city in medium to high rise building rather than a separate home in any suburb or secluded area. So, can you suggest something?

- Since, we are expecting a baby so what are the nice hospitals and doctors. Also, how do we find OBS/GYN in any area or if there are any known good doctors that can accept new patients in Mar-Apr 2012 (time when we are thinking of moving).

- For Education of my child, what is the procedure? Does Toronto have pre-schools system for 3 years (not Day Care)? Any recommendations on that? Also, what is the proper schooling age and admission hurdles?

Finally a friendly advice, should I move this year or wait till we have the baby here and then plan next year to reduce the risk of medical hassles, commitment to new job (in case I go for new job) and new location hazards?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestion on the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 04:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,093,260 times
I'm not sure if there is anything that will fit all of your criteria.

Upscale communities with condos and shops nearby: Downtown Oakville, Port Credit, North York Centre and the central neighbourhoods of Toronto (Midtown, Liberty Village, Downtown, etc) are probably the best choices. All of them have pretty good access to downtown Toronto too.

Oakville is pretty WASPy, although there are some European immigrants around Kerr Street (Italians, Eastern Europeans...). Port Credit is not as WASPy as Oakville, and is also closer to Toronto and the multicultural parts of Mississauga and Brampton. North York is quite multi-cultural, but mostly Chinese, Korean and Persian and not so much South Asian (if that's ok with you). As for Toronto's central neighbourhoods, the ones around Midtown are mostly WASPy or Jewish, the ones East of Bathurst have a lot of Portuguese as well as some Italians, Eastern Europeans, Latin Americans, Brazilians and are starting to get Tibetans. From Bathurst to Yonge there are a fair bit of Chinese. From Yonge to Parliament is quite multicultural, but not very upscale. East of the Don River, the main ethnic groups living there other than Anglos are Chinese and Greeks, but there is also an area with a lot of Muslim and South Asian businesses.

Streetsville, downtown Brampton and Cooksville would give you very good access to the Indian/Pakistani community, but you'd be further from Toronto too. Cooksville is closest but pretty working class. Streetsville is second closest (about 40min train ride) and the most upscale, but it has more of a small town feel than a city feel. Downtown Brampton is pretty middle class, and I would say the downtown is a bit larger than Streetsville.

Markham and Richmond Hill are quite multicultural, the upscale multicultural areas are dominated by Chinese and are mostly single family homes. There are a few condo communities popping up around Highway 7, but imo you'd be better off in North York.

Humber Bay is also a possibility, it's right next to Lake Ontario with great access to many parks, and has many nice new condos and is quite close to downtown Toronto. However, it is underserved by transit compared to other neighbourhoods and the retail hasn't caught up to condo development yet.

The multicultural part of Etobicoke (Rexdale) is quite working class too.

As for parks, in downtown Toronto, the main big one is the Toronto Islands, although there are smaller parks scattered about. Further West in Toronto's core area, there is Trinity Bellwoods Park, High Park and the Martin Goodman Trail along Lake Ontario. East of the Don River there is the Don Valley, The Beaches and Tommy Thompson Park. Port Credit has a few parks nearby along the waterfront as well as opportunities for canoeing/kayaking on the Credit River. Streetsville has some parks along the Credit River. I can't think of anything special in terms of parks around North York Centre, but there is a hospital nearby and some good schools. Streetsville is close to a hospital too. The best place by far for hospitals though is Downtown Toronto.

Last edited by memph; 12-05-2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the detailed info. Can you also share some information on the medical system etc in Toronto regarding having a new baby?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,321 times
Without knowing where your office is located I would recommend the Beaches area of Toronto. Close to the beach (of course), good place to raise kids. I cannot make any comments on child healthcare. There are indian/pakistan people everywhere in Toronto so I don't think that will be an issue wherever you end up.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 PM

277 posts, read 785,882 times
If you're looking for South Asian communities, look at Rexdale/Malton(cheap but dumpy, high-crime), Brampton (far, suburban, and incredibly boring) and Mississauga in general (probably your best bet, lots of south asians, but lots of everything else too).

If you can afford it, living in Toronto proper would still be the ideal choice.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Appreciated. With the recent developments, it seems, my job location will be Mississauga so I think its wiser me to find myself something in the same area though I would like to experience proper Toronto life. May be some other time

Now, my main questions are better places with condos to stay in Mississauga, price range, health care (still pending) and average car insurance for a Mazda 3. 2007. I read in news that Toronto pays highest car insurance fees out of whole Canada.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 PM

Hi,

Can anyone suggest me some good places for condo/apartment rentals in Mississauga?

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 17,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor View Post
Hi,

Can anyone suggest me some good places for condo/apartment rentals in Mississauga?

Thanks.
Best bet for condos is along Hurontario St., starting from Eglington in the north going right down to the QEW, there are also some near the Port Credit GO train station which takes you into downtown Toronto, so does Cookstown GO on Hurontario.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port65 View Post
Best bet for condos is along Hurontario St., starting from Eglington in the north going right down to the QEW, there are also some near the Port Credit GO train station which takes you into downtown Toronto, so does Cookstown GO on Hurontario.
Thanks. I made some progress and was able to secure one in Meadowvale area. I liked the area so far. Now on to movers. Any advice?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,766 times
Default Rentals

Nice and complete information.I live in montreal and I will move to Toronto on May .I have a part time job in Futureshop and I hope if I move to Markham I wil have more chances to find a job .I hope I am right.!I live in nuns island in montreal.it is a classy area school is close down town is in 10 minutes shopping center close.But expensive.I live in one bed room apartment and pay 860.00$ per month.Do you have any idea if there is more chances in Makham and also apartment building for rent??
The reason why I am here is apartment building rentals.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'm not sure if there is anything that will fit all of your criteria.

Upscale communities with condos and shops nearby: Downtown Oakville, Port Credit, North York Centre and the central neighbourhoods of Toronto (Midtown, Liberty Village, Downtown, etc) are probably the best choices. All of them have pretty good access to downtown Toronto too.

Oakville is pretty WASPy, although there are some European immigrants around Kerr Street (Italians, Eastern Europeans...). Port Credit is not as WASPy as Oakville, and is also closer to Toronto and the multicultural parts of Mississauga and Brampton. North York is quite multi-cultural, but mostly Chinese, Korean and Persian and not so much South Asian (if that's ok with you). As for Toronto's central neighbourhoods, the ones around Midtown are mostly WASPy or Jewish, the ones East of Bathurst have a lot of Portuguese as well as some Italians, Eastern Europeans, Latin Americans, Brazilians and are starting to get Tibetans. From Bathurst to Yonge there are a fair bit of Chinese. From Yonge to Parliament is quite multicultural, but not very upscale. East of the Don River, the main ethnic groups living there other than Anglos are Chinese and Greeks, but there is also an area with a lot of Muslim and South Asian businesses.

Streetsville, downtown Brampton and Cooksville would give you very good access to the Indian/Pakistani community, but you'd be further from Toronto too. Cooksville is closest but pretty working class. Streetsville is second closest (about 40min train ride) and the most upscale, but it has more of a small town feel than a city feel. Downtown Brampton is pretty middle class, and I would say the downtown is a bit larger than Streetsville.

Markham and Richmond Hill are quite multicultural, the upscale multicultural areas are dominated by Chinese and are mostly single family homes. There are a few condo communities popping up around Highway 7, but imo you'd be better off in North York.

Humber Bay is also a possibility, it's right next to Lake Ontario with great access to many parks, and has many nice new condos and is quite close to downtown Toronto. However, it is underserved by transit compared to other neighbourhoods and the retail hasn't caught up to condo development yet.

The multicultural part of Etobicoke (Rexdale) is quite working class too.

As for parks, in downtown Toronto, the main big one is the Toronto Islands, although there are smaller parks scattered about. Further West in Toronto's core area, there is Trinity Bellwoods Park, High Park and the Martin Goodman Trail along Lake Ontario. East of the Don River there is the Don Valley, The Beaches and Tommy Thompson Park. Port Credit has a few parks nearby along the waterfront as well as opportunities for canoeing/kayaking on the Credit River. Streetsville has some parks along the Credit River. I can't think of anything special in terms of parks around North York Centre, but there is a hospital nearby and some good schools. Streetsville is close to a hospital too. The best place by far for hospitals though is Downtown Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto