Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,208 times

Advertisements

So I've just graduated and I've never actually, well, lived on my own. I'm in my early 20's and want to start a new life in a big city, and have chosen Toronto. I'm completely lost because I've never actually had somebody go into the details of what it's like moving and starting a new life, never got any of that advice. So I've had a few questions on my mind and because I don't have anyone to ask this to, thought I'd give a shot at r/toronto.

- Before even looking for a job or a place, what are some things you'd tell your little brother if you had to give advice on moving? Like I know I'll have to learn laundry and stuff like that, but is there anything else I NEED to know before venturing and getting a place of my own? Like groceries and stuff like that? I really don't know anything and don't want to rely on mom & pop's anymore...

- After finding a job (any suggestions on looking for one???) and eventually renting a place near my work (good idea? right?), would you suggest I rent with other random people, or what?

- I hear I don't need a car, so I guess my question is, am I hearing right?

- Any last advice? I mean is this fear I have normal, or is it just preparing me for making a huge change do you think? If there's any advice you could give me that would be great!

One thing I was considering (may sound stupid, but whatever) is perhaps submit a posting on Kijiji or Craigslist and ask if people have space (or looking to move in with somebody), and then move in with them? I wish there was a place where a bunch of newbies looking to move into Toronto could sort of, plan together, but I guess I have to work with what I have...what do you think?

Thank you so, so much guys for any suggestions you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,937 times
Do you have any education or skills to use in the labor market? Can you cook for yourself?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,818 times
You've graduated...from what? You can start your job hunt now, before you move - get your resume out there, search Monster.ca etc. for jobs. Are you living at home with your folks right now? Get them to teach you things like laundry, cooking, budgeting, etc. Start being more self-reliant NOW, not when you move out.
Depending upon where you live, you can certainly manage without a car in TO, and that will open up more options for you for accommodation, too. You will need to somewhat figure out your expenses and income before you can figure out where to live. Kijiji is definitely a resource to find places to live, but you won't want to accept anything without seeing it first. Do a search and you will find rooms for rent, people sub-letting or looking for roommates.
If it were me, I'd probably look at a shared house, probably with students renting the rooms. Then you'd have someone there to give you some advice when you need it. Less privacy, though.
First things first, though - find a job. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:54 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
You've graduated...from what? You can start your job hunt now, before you move - get your resume out there, search Monster.ca etc. for jobs. Are you living at home with your folks right now? Get them to teach you things like laundry, cooking, budgeting, etc. Start being more self-reliant NOW, not when you move out.
Depending upon where you live, you can certainly manage without a car in TO, and that will open up more options for you for accommodation, too. You will need to somewhat figure out your expenses and income before you can figure out where to live. Kijiji is definitely a resource to find places to live, but you won't want to accept anything without seeing it first. Do a search and you will find rooms for rent, people sub-letting or looking for roommates.
If it were me, I'd probably look at a shared house, probably with students renting the rooms. Then you'd have someone there to give you some advice when you need it. Less privacy, though.
First things first, though - find a job. Good luck!
I agree with this advice. Start doing your own laundry and cooking today . Offer to come along for grocery shopping and eventually offer to do it for the family on your own. Get a job before moving. Once you get the job you can live in a motel or furnished room for a week/month while you look around for a place to live long term.

Check with local universities. They have support in place for students for housing. This information is often available to non-students and helps you find cheaper housing.

And save up money. Enough to pay your way for 3-6 months would be a good start.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
I am sorry to say but you sound like you will crash and burn if you move out on your own right now. You need to learn the basics of life first. Laundry is not rocket science. I am just being completely honest here.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachTO View Post
So I've just graduated and I've never actually, well, lived on my own. I'm in my early 20's and want to start a new life in a big city, and have chosen Toronto. I'm completely lost because I've never actually had somebody go into the details of what it's like moving and starting a new life, never got any of that advice. So I've had a few questions on my mind and because I don't have anyone to ask this to, thought I'd give a shot at r/toronto.

1.- Before even looking for a job or a place, what are some things you'd tell your little brother if you had to give advice on moving? Like I know I'll have to learn laundry and stuff like that, but is there anything else I NEED to know before venturing and getting a place of my own? Like groceries and stuff like that? I really don't know anything and don't want to rely on mom & pop's anymore...

2. - After finding a job (any suggestions on looking for one???) and eventually renting a place near my work (good idea? right?), would you suggest I rent with other random people, or what?

3. - I hear I don't need a car, so I guess my question is, am I hearing right?

4. - Any last advice? I mean is this fear I have normal, or is it just preparing me for making a huge change do you think? If there's any advice you could give me that would be great!

5. One thing I was considering (may sound stupid, but whatever) is perhaps submit a posting on Kijiji or Craigslist and ask if people have space (or looking to move in with somebody), and then move in with them? I wish there was a place where a bunch of newbies looking to move into Toronto could sort of, plan together, but I guess I have to work with what I have...what do you think?

Thank you so, so much guys for any suggestions you have!
---------------------
1. Have you never learned to do laundry, grocery shop, etc? I knew all that before I even started college. Life skills 101. Only thing I can add is you will need to learn to be responsible and pay your bills (rent, utilities, etc). And don't get sucked into using credit card debt for cash advances or buy nice to have things. And pay off your credit cards every month. Read up on exorbinant credit card interest.

2. Its up to you to decide where you want to live. What type of commute you can tolerate. In the real world is nice to live as close as possible to minimize commuting stress. Also depends on job location (drive or subway)

3. Yes and no. Depending on where you live.

4. Talk to Mom and Dad and ask them why they never prepared you for life skills, before you started Uni. Get them to give you lots of money to finance the start of your independence.

5. Would you rent to someone without a job? Might be a problem finding your own place or even a shared space. Do you have relatives in Toronto from whom you can rent a room?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:14 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
---------------------
1. Have you never learned to do laundry, grocery shop, etc? I knew all that before I even started college. Life skills 101. Only thing I can add is you will need to learn to be responsible and pay your bills (rent, utilities, etc). And don't get sucked into using credit card debt for cash advances or buy nice to have things. And pay off your credit cards every month. Read up on exorbinant credit card interest.

3. Yes and no. Depending on where you live.
1. And when it says "minimum payment"... don't pay that, pay off the whole balance. Just to clarify because I found it a bit confusing when I had to pay my first credit card bill.

3. And where he works.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 17,333 times
where r u coming from?? my partner and i r also early 20's recently moved here to toronto, been here 3 weeks and struggling to find work, took 2 weeks to find a propper house. def go with a share house, everything is set up... but lots of good luck, coz we had lots of bad luck, its a hard place to start in...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Do you have any education or skills to use in the labor market? Can you cook for yourself?
I have a general IT degree, do you know of any good work agencies that could help me find work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
I am sorry to say but you sound like you will crash and burn if you move out on your own right now. You need to learn the basics of life first. Laundry is not rocket science. I am just being completely honest here.
I understand but I feel like I stay in this place of inertia I'll never develop the skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
5. Would you rent to someone without a job? Might be a problem finding your own place or even a shared space. Do you have relatives in Toronto from whom you can rent a room?
Like I asked the previous poster, do you have any suggestions as to where to find a job? Best places to look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessm123 View Post
where r u coming from?? my partner and i r also early 20's recently moved here to toronto, been here 3 weeks and struggling to find work, took 2 weeks to find a propper house. def go with a share house, everything is set up... but lots of good luck, coz we had lots of bad luck, its a hard place to start in...
Chatham, Ontario

Just curious, did you try looking for work before the move? Also do either of you have degrees?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 13,894 times
Hi,

It's finding a job and an apartment that concerns you the most, right?

One of the best places to look for a job in Toronto (anywhere in Canada, for that matter) is indeed.ca, or simplyhired.ca. They are job search engines that look for job postings on many job boards. Also try eluta.ca - this job search engine looks for jobs on employers' websites. You can subscribe to new job postings using your keyword through the email - then you don't need to check these websites all the time.

As for finding a palce to live, try Toronto Roommates & Rooms for rent Toronto, FREE Toronto Roommate Finder in Canada. Find a Toronto Roomate.

You need to make sure that your resume is excellent. Finding a job in Toronto may take some time, but to get interviews you need to have a top notch resume and write a special cover letter for each job you apply.

Consider volunteering in Toronto - you can enter this experience in your resume, or even get noticed. You can find volunteering opportunities at CharityVillage Main Street

Network. Speak with people a lot. Mention that you just moved to Toronto and are looking for a job, you might get leads.

Go to job fairs. Hang out where people your age hangout - great opportunities for networking.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto