U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,073,897 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how you guys feel about the Raptors and if Toronto as a whole supports the Raptors?

I know Toronto and all of Canada is big on hockey, and being that I'm a big basketball fan and we rarely get much coverage on the Raptors, I was just wondering what the consensus is in Toronto (and other parts of Canada) about the Raptors? Do you follow them much? Follow them only when their competitive? Die hard fan?

Just curious. For some reason I've always liked the Raptors and kind of wish we got more games to watch of theirs here in the US. Here is the US, hockey isn't on the radar with as many people as football, baseball, and basketball. I've always wondered if the Raptors were like hockey here, followed by some by not covered much on the news and such and overshadowed by other sports.

Thanks guys!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM

2,607 posts, read 1,432,717 times
I am

Raptors have bad TV ratings but the arena is sold out. They make money and are a big market team.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:40 AM

25,587 posts, read 33,507,927 times
The Raptors are relatively popular in Toronto and environs, and to some degree in much of Ontario. But although they may try to market themselves as Canada's team they do not really have this status on the ground from coast to coast. The Raptors have national TV contracts (including a new one in French in Quebec) across the country but so far there is not a cross-Canada Raptors buzz or large fan base. This might change if they made a championship run. Of course, there are some Canadians who are nationalistic and cheer for the Raptors or the Blue Jays because they are Canadian teams even though they are 5000 km away, but most people are not like that.

I live in Quebec and I never hear about the Raptors, although they are on TV on some of the sports networks I get. But then again in the multi-channel universe the Texas Longhorns are on TV here too, as is Real Madrid.

Also, in many parts of Canada people will cheer for nearby American teams. Even in Ontario, the Detroit Pistons and other Detroit clubs are the most popular in SW Ontario around Windsor, and many Boston sports teams like the Celtics, Red Sox, etc. are the most popular ones in parts of Atlantic Canada.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM

3,753 posts, read 4,761,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Also, in many parts of Canada people will cheer for nearby American teams. Even in Ontario, the Detroit Pistons and other Detroit clubs are the most popular in SW Ontario around Windsor, and many Boston sports teams like the Celtics, Red Sox, etc. are the most popular ones in parts of Atlantic Canada.
I have noticed from my trips to Montreal that in alot of the sports stores the most prominent baseball hats available are Yankees and Red Sox (In addition to the throw back Expos Hat, which is a great one) Is that because of fashion reasons or is there a large support for those teams in the area? Blue Jay hats available are a distant 3rd in what I have observed.

To answer the OP though, there is a reasonable amount of support for the Raptors in the area, but Toronto is a Leafs town 1st, 2nd and 3rd...then the other teams pick up what is left over. Also I find that alot of Raptors fans are people relatively new to following basketball. Keep in mind the Raptors did not even exist until 95, so people my age that watched basketball in Toronto as kids had to support another team. For me it was the Knicks because of Patrick Ewing and The Celtics because of Robert Parish. So by the time the Raptors came along there was no real connection to them at all.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I have noticed from my trips to Montreal that in alot of the sports stores the most prominent baseball hats available are Yankees and Red Sox (In addition to the throw back Expos Hat, which is a great one) Is that because of fashion reasons or is there a large support for those teams in the area? Blue Jay hats available are a distant 3rd in what I have observed.

I think it is a fashion thing more than anything related to fan support. The Yankees and the Red Sox are viewed as the two most historic baseball teams and therefore represent a certain mythical "America". That's probably the main reason for that.

MLB is still covered in the sports news in Quebec but you rarely overhear talk about the Blue Jays or even the World Series. Perhaps if you hang out with people whose kids play little league but in broader society - nope.

Baseball fields seem to be turning into soccer pitches in Quebec faster than you can say "bonsoooooooiiiiiiiir! elle est partie!" (famous Expos home run call).

Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 PM

3,753 posts, read 4,761,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Baseball fields seem to be turning into soccer pitches in Quebec faster than you can say "bonsoooooooiiiiiiiir! elle est partie!" (famous Expos home run call).
Can't say I have any objection to that...much better sport

Old 01-09-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Can't say I have any objection to that...much better sport
And he dares call himself a Bostonian! Sacrilège!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto