Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Never been, but Toronto seems like a more modern, less dilapidated Great Lakes city. Maybe what Detroit might have been if it hadn't had gone downhill. It's tempting to compare it to Chicago, but I feel Toronto is more urban, despite Chicago's impressive skyline and massive core, with lots of high rises more like that of New York City, Vancouver or Miami. Toronto also has a multicultural population like NYC and Chicago, while Detroit and Buffalo seem less diverse. Of course Toronto's city isn't majority black like Detroit or Cleveland.

Is the architecture more like Midwestern or Northeastern cities? It seems more Midwestern, since it's not a very old city (although older than Chicago, similar in age to Detroit). I think it largely boomed in the past 50 years or so too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
I would have to say more Midwest than North Eastern

Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
It's a bit of both, but at the same time it's quite different from any American city, it has its own, Canadian style thing going on.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Never been, but Toronto seems like a more modern, less dilapidated Great Lakes city. Maybe what Detroit might have been if it hadn't had gone downhill. It's tempting to compare it to Chicago, but I feel Toronto is more urban, despite Chicago's impressive skyline and massive core, with lots of high rises more like that of New York City, Vancouver or Miami. Toronto also has a multicultural population like NYC and Chicago, while Detroit and Buffalo seem less diverse. Of course Toronto's city isn't majority black like Detroit or Cleveland.

Is the architecture more like Midwestern or Northeastern cities? It seems more Midwestern, since it's not a very old city (although older than Chicago, similar in age to Detroit). I think it largely boomed in the past 50 years or so too.
It has a little bit of everything. It reminds me of New York in many ways but the density (at least the downtown core) feels more like Chicago. It doesn't have that depressing vibe that plagues the Great Lakes cities in America. It is a vibrant and proud international city. I visited Toronto twice last year. I really like it. I hope to live there one day.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Architecturally, Pittsburgh has some neighbourhoods that look a lot like Toronto, as well as what's left of the original homes of Midtown Detroit. The outer inner city parts of Toronto like Silverthorne or Old East York have a fair bit of similarities to Philadelphia neighbourhoods from the same time period.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
In Degrassi many of the homes look like the townhouses you might find in Philly or Baltimore.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
It has a little bit of everything. It reminds me of New York in many ways but the density (at least the downtown core) feels more like Chicago. It doesn't have that depressing vibe that plagues the Great Lakes cities in America. It is a vibrant and proud international city. I visited Toronto twice last year. I really like it. I hope to live there one day.
I agree, I was in Detroit last year, as soon as we crossed the border I could see abandoned buildings, not a good first impression

Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM

230 posts, read 535,693 times
In my opinion Toronto should be viewed as entirely unique rather than similar to this region or that city in the US. Having said that, I once had it put to me that Toronto is what Detroit could have been. I think that's an apt description, at least in terms of cityscape, architecture, layout, etc.

Having said that, I think Toronto fits better into the Northeastern US than Midwestern. This place just doesn't have a Midwestern feel, though I can't explain why.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 AM

150 posts, read 215,013 times
Toronto has elements common to both a typical Great Lake city as well as a north eastern United States city, but it also has it's own unique character as well. Toronto, and more broadly, the "Golden Horsehoe" has a real diverse feel with each city being noticeably unique from the others. The city proper of Toronto has the culture of a smaller NY, looks like Chicago in the downtown/financial district, and looks like Philadelphia in the residential areas. As you go out to the suburbs like Mississauga, Oakville, Markham you actually almost get a Long Island meets central Florida feel with the outlet malls, wide open spaces, architecture of the newer homes (minus the palm trees). And finally to the very west, you have Hamilton which is the last "major city" with almost 600 000 people. Of all the cities in the GTA/Golden Horseshoe, Hamilton definitely has the most of a mid western/Great Lake feel. Lots of country girls, country themed bars, etc. Much more conservative with a "heartland" America feel. It's a 45 minutes drive down the QEW from Toronto yet it feels like it might as well be 500 miles away. So, I would say Toronto (GTA) is an extremely diverse feeling metropolis and changes very quickly in a short distance. It's quite interesting.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
I've lived in both Toronto and Chicago. I consider Toronto very simiar to Chicago, and, as such, with a lifestyle and personality more "Midwestern USA" than "Northeastern USA."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto