U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,393,270 times

Advertisements

Best Persian restaurant I have ever been to has been North on Steeles Ave. W. in Thornhill. And I know a thing or two about Persian food. I guarantee you it will blow away anything in NYC, especially since NYC barely has a Persian community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 AM

3,643 posts, read 4,408,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Best Persian restaurant I have ever been to has been North on Steeles Ave. W. in Thornhill. And I know a thing or two about Persian food. I guarantee you it will blow away anything in NYC, especially since NYC barely has a Persian community.
Estimated Iranian-American population in the NYC Metro is 70,000
http://www.bcnychurchplanting.org/up...%20Profile.pdf

Estimated Iranian-Canadian population in the GTA is 65,000
Iranian Canadian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I definitely would not call that a non existent community.

I also want to make it clear I did not say the best Persian food I personally have had is in NYC, I just said what I have had in NYC is better than Toronto. Have you tried the restaurant I linked? What is the name of the restaurant in Thornhill?

The best Persian Food in North America is definitely in LA. With 720,000 people identifying as Persian in LA I would expect that though. Otherwise the best hands down the best I have tried is at personal homes and restaurant wise Van, Turkey and London.

Out of curiosity are you Persian?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 AM

22,256 posts, read 25,832,756 times
Toronto is FANTASTIC!

It feels like New York to me, big screens everywhere, really buzzing, fantastic place. Much better then Chicago IMO and no doubt better then Montreal.

Love Toronto!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,393,270 times
edward, the restaurant in Thornhill is called North Restaurant. Shomal North: Thornhill, ON | Restaurant Reviews & Menus | Restaurantica.com - the only restaurant I've been to that I could say was its equal would be Kassra Restaurant in Laguna Niguel, CA.

This site Iranians in Canada By the Numbers says 55,000 Iranian-born in Ontario (not including those born in Canada), which is more than double the NYC population. I am guessing the actual number is much higher.

Either way, I am certain these statistics for Iranian-Americans are highly suspect. Toronto gets far more Iranian concerts and events than NYC. Many Iranian TV stations, record labels, publishers, etc. are based in Toronto.... I cannot think of one that is based in NYC. It is the second largest expatriate city after Los Angeles. These numbers are difficult to pin down, see http://www.niacouncil.org/docs/irancensus.pdf which claims that there are 150,000 in Los Angeles (I guarantee you it's way more than that).

Either way, we can't judge a city's worth based on the percentage of a specific ethnic group living in that city. Toronto and NYC are both great cities and you can't say one is necessarily better than the other. The fact is both cities offer an immense wealth of cultural opportunities. I just find Toronto much more to my taste - cleaner, safer, easier to get around, more polite, and greener.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 AM

24,357 posts, read 30,691,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
As far a sheer numbers are concerned, there are more Immigrants in NYC and Languages spoken than Toronto. Yes Toronto has a larger "percentage" of foreign born, but languages and groups represented paint a better picture of diversity in my opinion. If Foreign born percentage was the only measure then Miami would be more diverse than London, do you think that is the case?
This is not necessarily directed at tarp, but Torontonians have to remember that even though their city is hyper-diverse (which it is - no argument there), it is not the *only* diverse city in the world, nor does Toronto's diversity model represent the *only legitimate way* to be diverse and to embrace this reality.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,212,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
Chicago and NYC.

Chicago because of similar size, climate, promxity to lake, industrial roots, and just a similar large-city-yet-not-overwheling type of feel.

NYC because due to rich diversity, variety of neighborhoods, and public transportation system.
Chicago metro has about 9 million, the GTA about 5 million.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,212,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is not necessarily directed at tarp, but Torontonians have to remember that even though their city is hyper-diverse (which it is - no argument there), it is not the *only* diverse city in the world, nor does Toronto's diversity model represent the *only legitimate way* to be diverse and to embrace this reality.
Toronto almost seems too diverse. Nothing wrong with it, but is there a strong sense of identity in such a transient place?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Great point and Torontonians are notorious for falling into the trap of thinking their city is the only immigrant/emigrant magnet on the planet.

Can you honestly say that the residents of NYC, SF, Miami, Paris, London, Amsterdam, etc...are cheated from their cultural experience because Toronto has a higher percentage of foreign born? Hardly.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
edward, the restaurant in Thornhill is called North Restaurant. Shomal North: Thornhill, ON | Restaurant Reviews & Menus | Restaurantica.com - the only restaurant I've been to that I could say was its equal would be Kassra Restaurant in Laguna Niguel, CA.

This site Iranians in Canada By the Numbers says 55,000 Iranian-born in Ontario (not including those born in Canada), which is more than double the NYC population. I am guessing the actual number is much higher.

Either way, I am certain these statistics for Iranian-Americans are highly suspect. Toronto gets far more Iranian concerts and events than NYC. Many Iranian TV stations, record labels, publishers, etc. are based in Toronto.... I cannot think of one that is based in NYC. It is the second largest expatriate city after Los Angeles. These numbers are difficult to pin down, see http://www.niacouncil.org/docs/irancensus.pdf which claims that there are 150,000 in Los Angeles (I guarantee you it's way more than that).

Either way, we can't judge a city's worth based on the percentage of a specific ethnic group living in that city. Toronto and NYC are both great cities and you can't say one is necessarily better than the other. The fact is both cities offer an immense wealth of cultural opportunities. I just find Toronto much more to my taste - cleaner, safer, easier to get around, more polite, and greener.
Tarp, I will make sure to try out North next time I am back in Toronto. As far as Iranian Media being available in NYC, I have no idea to be honest, but I will take your word for it.

Everyone has their preference, but whether you love it or hate it, NYC is one of those cities that offers so much it is hard to match. Does it mean its the best place to live on earth for everyone? Of course not. But to put Toronto in the same class is silly in my opinion.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 AM

24,357 posts, read 30,691,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Toronto almost seems too diverse. Nothing wrong with it, but is there a strong sense of identity in such a transient place?
This is something of an eternal debate here. It is why you often see comments about Toronto lacking personality, character, a culture of its own. Or hear that Montreal has more character than Toronto even though it is smaller, blablabla. And then Torontonians will counter that no one of this is true. And it goes on and on.

I would say that Toronto's diversity is only one factor. An even bigger factor is the fact that Toronto happens to be the metropolis of an entire country whose identity/culture/personality is very diffuse and hard to pin down.

If you look at New York City, for example, it is very diverse as well and it has a much more clearly defined identity and culture than Toronto does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto