U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM

3,036 posts, read 4,263,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
San Francisco? I'm not sure I get it.
There is NO comparison with San Francisco. San Francisco is very unique whereas there is nothing unique about Toronto.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's true, I know both New York and Chicago are very diverse but both have very strong identities/a sense of local pride. From speaking to Canadians I get the sense a lot of Canadians don't have as much provincial or city pride as Americans. Except maybe the Quebecois and maybe Newfies. Do you think that's true?
Ask people from Vancouver. They are extremely provincial and never fail to tell you that their city is ranked number one in North America.

I have lived in Vancouver and spent a lot of time in Toronto and Montreal. Montreal is my favorite city in Canada because it has character. I don't like Vancouver nor Toronto.

I have lived in several cities in the US and have spent time in a lot more. There is no comparison between New York City and Toronto. New York is a great city without comparison whereas Toronto is just an average city. We visit New York City every year.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM

78 posts, read 269,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
"State of Independence" and "Empire State" are meaningless phrases. New York or Pennsylvania no more has a unique "identity" than does Ontario.
Of course their meanings are now certainly weakened from state to state (especially now when state border lines are close to meaningless) but I would the spirit is still very present in the cities (NYC and Philadelphia) and their identity. And this does not only stay in the cities, but pretty much spread out all over the U.S.

Quote:
They are all part of North American English-speaking culture, and they have their own unique attributes in some areas.
Partly true, in a way that we have pretty much in the same culture. However be aware that Americans, no matter whether they live in New Jersey or Connecticut, can safely build their identity based on NYC (at least partly). Canadians can't do that. I mean, somebody in Minnesota can say he does not like his city but is proud that his country has NYC and all the unique stuff and unique history and so on, since NYC is the most important city in his country. Same thing cannot be applied to somebody in Toronto. He has to find something to be proud of within his country, or maybe from the most important city of his country, which is Toronto.

So yeah, you mentioned "their own unique attributes," what is there we can find in Toronto?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,920,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
There is NO comparison with San Francisco. San Francisco is very unique whereas there is nothing unique about Toronto.
What makes SF so unique? Victorian houses? Streetcars? Liberal people? Large Gay community? Huge Chinatown? Impressive density? Toronto has all that too. Ok, SF is very hilly, while Toronto is not, but Toronto has all those lovely wooded ravines snaking through the city.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 PM

78 posts, read 269,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
What makes SF so unique? Victorian houses? Streetcars? Liberal people? Large Gay community? Huge Chinatown? Impressive density? Toronto has all that too. Ok, SF is very hilly, while Toronto is not, but Toronto has all those lovely wooded ravines snaking through the city.
Hmmm. I've never been in San Francisco but if you track around San Francisco streets on Google Maps it actually looks surprisingly unique. Sure Toronto's got very nice areas and ravines too but those don't seem as much unique. And all the things you mentioned San Francisco seems to win easily.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM

24,925 posts, read 31,871,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
Just did a little research - I didn't even exist back then. lol

Does that quote have anything to do with history or whatever? Or is it simply telling me to keep the province beautiful?
I think it was an anti-pollution or anti-litter message.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
OK, I am going to try something just for fun.

Miami has Atlantic Ocean beaches lined with palm trees where you can swim year-round in warm water.

(Acajack now hides behind a bush and waits for a response from Torontonians.)

Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
Partly true, in a way that we have pretty much in the same culture. However be aware that Americans, no matter whether they live in New Jersey or Connecticut, can safely build their identity based on NYC (at least partly). Canadians can't do that. I mean, somebody in Minnesota can say he does not like his city but is proud that his country has NYC and all the unique stuff and unique history and so on, since NYC is the most important city in his country. Same thing cannot be applied to somebody in Toronto. He has to find something to be proud of within his country, or maybe from the most important city of his country, which is Toronto.

So yeah, you mentioned "their own unique attributes," what is there we can find in Toronto?
You will likely get slammed and derided by others for this comment, but I think this is really interesting and that you are onto something.

If you just think of the Statue of Liberty, it is quintessentially "New York", but it is also a powerful symbol for the entire United States as well. Just one example.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

You obviously have never been to San Francisco. I have spent a lot of time in both San Francisco and Toronto and there is no comparison.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,920,157 times
Believe it or not, some people have been to both SF and Toronto and prefer Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto