Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,750,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Believe it or not, some people have been to both SF and Toronto and prefer Toronto.
It wasn't a question of preference but instead being similar which they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,939,509 times
Toronto is an American city.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,773,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You obviously have never been to San Francisco. I have spent a lot of time in both San Francisco and Toronto and there is no comparison.
Toronto is trying hard to be San Francisco but it will never have half the character of the City by the Bay.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,224,701 times
^ Huh? Toronto is most certainly not trying to be San Francisco. Where would you get such an nonsensical idea?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:59 PM

701 posts, read 1,029,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Toronto is an American city.
Wrong on about 100 levels.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
^ Huh? Toronto is most certainly not trying to be San Francisco. Where would you get such an nonsensical idea?
Some people have compared Toronto to San Francisco earlier in this thread. In fact, I think you were one of them. Nobody said that Toronto was trying to be San Francisco because that will never happen.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,077,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Accents and politeness mean a lot to me at the end of the day. I don't know about you, but I like being able to understand the people around me. The NYC accent is ugly, almost as ugly as the southern accent and certainly more abrasive.
Give me a break... While Canadians (in general) tend to be polite, the population of Toronto is far from it. They are cold, unfriendly and rude. Almost every day while I am walking to work in Toronto, some idiot will practically walk into me, then shoot me a dirty look like I am the one who isn't paying attention. This does not happen in the subburbs where I live.

As for accents, are you freaking serious? There are over 800 accents spoken in NYC every day, giving it the title of Most Linguistic Diverse City in the World. You should research some of these claims you keep making before you post them.

Quote:
Astoria Queens has nothing on Greektown. It is a dump. Greektown is far nicer. Most of Astoria is lebanese/egyptian these days anyway.
If we are being honest, it should be mentioned that Greektown is slowly losing it's "Greekness" and is turning into Little Ethiopia. Greektown was Greek through and through 10 years ago, but it has been slowly losing that identity over the last few years for a number of reasons.

Quote:
Name one NYC Persian restaurant superior to what you will find in Toronto. Brampton probably has more (and better) Indian restaurants than the entire city of New York. Toronto has far more Asian (both South Asian and East Asian), Middle Eastern, and European population than NYC. Toronto has amazing Thai restaurants. They have Tibetan restaurants. Toronto is more diverse than NYC with a higher immigrant population. Blame it on U.S. immigration policy.
I take it you have never heard of Ellis Island and the role it played in North American immigration patterns. I get that you don't like Americans, but come on... That last paragraph you wrote is just laughable. Toronto has 3.5 million people, NYC has over double that. What nationality do you think native New Yorkers would call their ancestors if not European, Middle Eastern and Asian? Do you believe NYC is mainly comprised of Africans and South Americans? Because those are the only two continents you didn't mention where New York's 8+ million inhabitants would have come from.

Moderator:snip:rude

Last edited by sunshineleith; 04-12-2012 at 04:40 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM

273 posts, read 781,256 times
What Tarp is alluding to really isn't too far from the truth. I am by no means saying that TO is a better city than NYC, but a larger population =/= more diversity. It *could* mean that there is an over-representation of a few ethnic groups by sheer numbers alone.

For the sake of argument, city x could have 1 million people with only these types , while city y could have 350,000 with these types . Although city y is smaller in size, it is still more diverse.

There have been claims by UNESCO that Toronto is the most multi-cultural city in the world. This could be true but it could also be inflated. I think for the sake of argument it would be more reasonable to call TO *one* of the most multi-cultural cities in the world.

I think for the sake of objectivity, TO doesn't get enough credit. As much as there are people who try to claim it as being the best and most diverse, there are people who love to bash the city and want to give it no credit at all. A lot of this is subjective.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 PM

I have spent a lot of time in both Toronto and New York City. There is absolutely no way that you can compare the two cities. New York is a great city like no other city. Toronto really doesn't have much Moderator:snip:rude. New Yorkers are great people and I am not a New Yorker.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 04-12-2012 at 04:39 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 04:42 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,246,112 times
Civility people, civility. It isn't all that difficult.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Terms of Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto