Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
Toronto is not a world-class city. That's clear. So it would stand to reason that it would compare unfavorably to real world-class cities.
True. Though to be fair I think a case could be made that it might be moving in that direction.

Toronto does sort of suffer from a lack of global recognition (especially when you consider its size), and if it does want to achive more international renown it is going to have to produce more Toronto-specific cultural content like movies, TV, books, music, etc. that gets world-wide attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM

157 posts, read 165,591 times
LA with a real downtown!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
LA with a real downtown!
Toronto doesn't have much of a downtown neither. Actually I think both Vancouver and Montreal are more distinctive Canadian cities than Toronto.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
Oh, C'mon! Toronto has a huge downtown that offers everything and anything that one can think of. The juvenile and constant Toronto bashing on this forum is spurred by nothing more than petty jealousy. Toronto is by far the biggest city in Canada with the biggest, busiest downtown. If Toronto isn't a world class city than I guess Canada doesn't have any world class cities because no place else comes close to Toronto in that regard. The end.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:38 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Oh, C'mon! Toronto has a huge downtown that offers everything and anything that one can think of. The juvenile and constant Toronto bashing on this forum is spurred by nothing more than petty jealousy. Toronto is by far the biggest city in Canada with the biggest, busiest downtown. If Toronto isn't a world class city than I guess Canada doesn't have any world class cities because no place else comes close to Toronto in that regard. The end.
Toronto's downtown (about 5km sq) is kind of small for the size of the city (2.7m). The lack of commercial/medium to large retail is sometimes frustrating. University Ave, Bay st have very little retail. between Queen East and Carlton it is pretty much dead.

I felt that Seattle and Boston's downtown are similar size as Toronto. Our downtown is a good size, but not "huge" by any means.

I hope with the new condos completed in the next 5 years, such as Massy, Aura, Indx, Five, 88 Scott, Shangrila, 501 Yonge, 1 Bloor East, PACE, massive number of people will move in downtown, and downtown will gradually expand in the real sense and become more vibrant.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post

When I was last in downtown Toronto in July 2010, the downtown area was pretty dead. Nobody is bashing Toronto. We are just stating the obvious. Toronto doesn't have any outstanding characteristics as a city. In any event, it really doesn't matter. If you think it is a great world class city then so be it even if the rest of the world doesn't agree.

I imagine that you have never visited New York City.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 05-30-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Torontonians are also the most arrogant self absorbed in thinking that their city is greater than it is. Of course that is fine as they have to live there.
come on, Vancouverites do such a better job in doing that than us. Some actually truly believe Vancouver is the best city in the world

Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
come on, Vancouverites do such a better job in doing that than us. Some actually truly believe Vancouver is the best city in the world
I agree that Vancouverites do a better job. I have never understood what all the hype of Vancouver was about. As long as you are happy where you live, that is all that counts. It doesn't really matter what other people's opinions are.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM

175,000 people live in the 11.8 sq km (4.5 sq mi) area bounded by the Lakeshore, Parliament St, Bloor Street, and Bathurst St. That's the area most consider to be downtown Toronto and it's among the top 3 largest and densest downtown areas in the U.S. and Canada.

JohnSoCal, I've been to NYC on more than one occasion, I don't know what makes you think you know where I've been? Downtown Toronto is never "dead", sometimes it's a little quieter on holidays or on bitter cold winter days, but on a typical nice day in July it's always teeming with people and traffic. I have a hard time believing anything you say.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:40 PM

To get an idea as to how much the city is booming right now - there are currently 150 high-rise buildings under construction in the city - 18 of which are over 500 feet tall (most in the downtown area), with another 36 500+ footers proposed. Not even the mighty NYC comes close to this right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto