U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:13 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,521,297 times

Advertisements

I originallly thought Toronto was like NYC or Chicago but I visited there for a week this summer and altered my view. It is not like NYC and Chicago because it's skyline in no way is up to par with those two. One thing that astonished me there was the lack of cabs like NYC and Chicago. It is a bustling city for sure and it has a lot of appeal but it is more like provencial than NYC and Chicago. It is also much more urbane than a Minneapolis or Detroit. I loved it's mass transit options. And yes, the large Asian population makes it seem more like San Fran. but it doesn't have the geographical beauty of that city. It is unique in that I really can't think of an American city it would be like. Ultimately, because of it's location on the Great Lakes, I would compare it more to Chicago than any other midwestern city but without the gumph, skyline, and grittiness of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 03:36 PM

1,674 posts, read 3,843,537 times
Toronto's skyline may not be as big as NYC or Chicago's but it's bigger than that of any other city in the US or Canada.

There are over 4,000 taxis in Toronto, but compared to NYC or Chicago far more people in Toronto ride bikes in the city, so perhaps that's why cabs are not in demand as much.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM

5,733 posts, read 9,827,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I originallly thought Toronto was like NYC or Chicago but I visited there for a week this summer and altered my view. It is not like NYC and Chicago because it's skyline in no way is up to par with those two. One thing that astonished me there was the lack of cabs like NYC and Chicago. It is a bustling city for sure and it has a lot of appeal but it is more like provencial than NYC and Chicago. It is also much more urbane than a Minneapolis or Detroit. I loved it's mass transit options. And yes, the large Asian population makes it seem more like San Fran. but it doesn't have the geographical beauty of that city. It is unique in that I really can't think of an American city it would be like. Ultimately, because of it's location on the Great Lakes, I would compare it more to Chicago than any other midwestern city but without the gumph, skyline, and grittiness of it.
Wanna say it looks and feels more like Houston?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:15 PM

Toronto doesn't look or feel anything like Houston!

Take a look for yourself, here are some great photo-tours of Toronto posted on another forum:
Everybody Hates Toronto, or My Trip Down the 401: Part I of IV - SkyscraperCity
Everybody Hates Toronto, or My Week on Huron Street: Part II of IV - SkyscraperCity
Everybody Hates Toronto, or My Pig's Feet Noodle Soup: Part III of IV - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 19,499 times
Default It's like Philadelphia crossed with Portland Oregon, but suburbs are straight outta SoCal

Toronto most reminds me of Philadelphia ... similar amounts and quality of arts and culture; similar crippling inferiority complex due to constant self-comparisons with NYC; similar bustling, compact mixed use downtown cores (in fairness, Toronto's is about twice the size of Philly's); similar inadequate and underfunded transit systems; similar rundown 19th-century housing stock that gives the cities their distinct look; similar world-class universities just outside the central core (Penn / UoT).

Outside downtown both Toronto and Philly sprawl forever over essentially flat landscapes, though Toronto's sprawl is much newer, more visually monotonous, and more ethnic, like parts of SoCal.

But, very much unlike Philly or SoCal, Toronto has a heavy dose of Portland, Oregon. No serious crime to speak of, bicyclists and streetcars on major streets, and gobs of white liberals living in the city centre.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:44 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,478,742 times
Chicago would be the most similar.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 AM

5,733 posts, read 9,827,579 times
Toronto is what Cleaveland used to be. They are oriented on the lake the same way, unlike Chicago. If it wasn't in Canada, it would suffer a similar fate to other Rust Belt cities like Buffalo or Rochester.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:56 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,478,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Toronto is what Cleaveland used to be. They are oriented on the lake the same way, unlike Chicago. If it wasn't in Canada, it would suffer a similar fate to other Rust Belt cities like Buffalo or Rochester.
Not all cities in the US north are sinking. Some, like Chicago and Minneapolis are doing quite well.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:44 AM

20 posts, read 197,783 times
What about the weather aspect? Would you say NYC and Toronto have similar winters or is Toronto more brutal.

Please tell me it is not as bad as Buffalo. They are so close yet Toronto (to me) seems to be more along the lines of NYC.

Do you agree?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Toronto usually gets much less snow than Buffalo, although it's still quite a bit colder than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto