U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-01-2010, 10:34 AM
 
705 posts, read 1,729,010 times
Reputation: 284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Except Chicago has vast ghettos, and Toronto does not.
To be fair, Toronto doesn't have Chicago's Magnificent Mile, superhigh towers or well-developed waterfront for locals as well. Moderator cut: quit looking for an argument

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-01-2010 at 06:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2010, 03:02 PM
 
5,870 posts, read 11,541,367 times
Reputation: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
To be fair, Toronto doesn't have Chicago's Magnificent Mile, superhigh towers or well-developed waterfront for locals as well. Moderator cut: quit looking for an argument
Toronto has Young street which is almost as good as the Mag Mile, a few more regular sized high rises, the CN Tower, and still quite a few parks.

Not having ghettos is important. A city is more socially stable when you don't have drastic differences between haves and have nots. Luckily, in Chicago, there are still lots of neighborhoods that are both affordable and safe like Toronto, but you have to do a bit more research.

All in all they are both as similar as can be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 PM
 
5,870 posts, read 11,541,367 times
Reputation: 4551
Chicago can be best described as a city with the present trends and situation like Toronto, with a past situation and trends like Detroit.

Thats why Chicago can seem very bipolar between north and south sides.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
24,357 posts, read 30,691,075 times
Reputation: 9893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Toronto has Young street which is almost as good as the Mag Mile, a few more regular sized high rises, the CN Tower, and still quite a few parks.

Not having ghettos is important. A city is more socially stable when you don't have drastic differences between haves and have nots.
There is no way that Yonge St. is almost as good as the Magnificent Mile.

However, your point about ghettos and dramatic differences between rich and poor is very valid, and favours Toronto in a big way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 AM
 
5,870 posts, read 11,541,367 times
Reputation: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is no way that Yonge St. is almost as good as the Magnificent Mile.

However, your point about ghettos and dramatic differences between rich and poor is very valid, and favours Toronto in a big way.
And in turn, the Mag Mile is nothing like Rodeo Dr. in LA or 5th Ave. in Manhattan.

The Mag Mile may look more stunning, but it is still chain stores that are found in every city. The people that walk around there are no more stunning either than in other cities.

Chicago does have the ghetto areas. But one can live a very good quality of life without having to ineteract with those areas of Chicago. It just makes it difficult to feel pride for the city as a whole, but instead of certain neighborhood groups.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
24,357 posts, read 30,691,075 times
Reputation: 9893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
And in turn, the Mag Mile is nothing like Rodeo Dr. in LA or 5th Ave. in Manhattan.

The Mag Mile may look more stunning, but it is still chain stores that are found in every city. The people that walk around there are no more stunning either than in other cities.
Yonge St. is grungy and full of cheesy souvenir shops and other crap. The nicest/ritziest part of Toronto (and probably closest to the Magnificent Mile feel) is probably Bloor-Yorkville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM
 
705 posts, read 1,729,010 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Toronto has Young street which is almost as good as the Mag Mile
Such an argument is simply hilarious and shows complete ignorance It is like saying Allen Garden is "almost" as big as Central Park I just can't help laughing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2010, 04:47 PM
 
5,870 posts, read 11,541,367 times
Reputation: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Such an argument is simply hilarious and shows complete ignorance It is like saying Allen Garden is "almost" as big as Central Park I just can't help laughing
Fine. But like I said then . . . Chicagos Mag Mile then can't compare to a place like Rodeo Dr. for example.


. . . but then again I'm a guy, and I rate shopping areas by the eye candy (not to be sexist).

And I guess Chicagos Mag Mile has lots fanny-pack (bum-bag) wearing tourists from the suburbs and beyond.

In terms of actual stylish people (which again ultimately how I rate things) nothing in Chicago can compare with California in terms of good looking people. But then again that depends on how you define stylish. Chicago style is rather conservative. Heck I'd say suburban Oak Brook Center is the best place for "scenery." I thought Toronto looked the same way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 AM
 
154 posts, read 295,687 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Cleveland gets much more snow than we do though. The couple degree difference is negligible.
I totally agree... Although, you guys up in Toronto can get it worse than us, due to your northern location. Last year we got 60 inches of snow, while you guys got 80!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Columbus
222 posts, read 524,554 times
Reputation: 87
Toronto from the times I visited has reminded me of Nyc because of it's ethnic blend and some of it's architecture like the flat iron building that predates the one in NYC. ITs union station reminds me of a smaller grand central. But if you go by the way it's spreads across lake ontario I would say Chicago. By the way union station has played as NYC grand central Terminal.

Last edited by City Boy Columbus; 12-22-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top