Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
Honestly...probably New York. I realize New York is it's own distinct kettle of fish but if we're generally asking the question of what American cities share the closest parallels with Toronto, then New York would be the most compatible. They're both international cities, they're both commerce and economic capitals, they're both highly professional, highly educated cities, etc. I think the comparisons to Chicago are a tad weak. Chicago seems like a very provincial city. Not on the level of internationalism Toronto is. Chicago seems much more...what's the word..."flat". If you know what I mean. It isn't as vibrant as Toronto or New York are and the people there seem less cultured and professional. It just doesn't have any of the same zest Toronto and New York have. If you asked me to sum Chicago up in one word I'd call it "comfortable". It's a big city, but it's clearly still very much a local Midwestern city.

This is neither here nor there I suppose, but if you look at the aesthetics of the citizenry of Chicago there is a clear disparity when comparing them to those of Toronto and New York, which in my view ties in with the whole "professional" vs "comfortable" situation.

Architecturally Chicago may have a more elaborate skyline, but I wouldn't call it "better" per se. I think Toronto's skyline is still more aesthetically pleasing. All of the buildings in Chicago kind of follow the same blueprint. A box essentially. Call me subjective but I think that's what the question is meant to illicit anyway.
Though Chicago has its share or 60s 70s boxes. Too much was added since and before, to its skyline to say all boxes by far or one color (colour) even buildings, heights for sure.

Like this picture I offer, from its north shore. Much residential in these views and angle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 11:08 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It does because based on the limited/vague information in your posts you don't seem to know that much about the city.... You always evade details re: Toronto. I think you've been here but not often and you didn't/don't really explore it much though you try to come off as an expert and when anyone challenges you, particularly people who know more than you do about the city, you dismiss them as being a homer and a booster.

Its not just about Toronto either - you get the same reaction from so many others in C v C... Its all popcorn entertainment though so keep it up lol..
When someone doesn't have an argument on C-D, they make personal attacks, simple as that. That's all you're doing.

You know that I'm right, and that Toronto does not have many prewar towers, and certainly not more than that of Chicago (which was the original claim I was responding to, from a Toronto homer). So you respond with nonsense about whether or not I spend sufficient time in Toronto, as if it has anything to do with the conversation.

I can confidently say "Paris and Rome have more gothic revival historic fabric than Dhaka or Lahore" without visiting Dhaka or Lahore. I have never been to these two cities, but I am confident the statement is correct. See how that works? Similarly, my relative familiarity with Toronto has zero to do with whether or not Toronto has a significant stock of prewar highrises. Anyone with access to the internet would come to the same conclusion.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:29 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
When someone doesn't have an argument on C-D, they make personal attacks, simple as that. That's all you're doing.

You know that I'm right, and that Toronto does not have many prewar towers, and certainly not more than that of Chicago (which was the original claim I was responding to, from a Toronto homer). So you respond with nonsense about whether or not I spend sufficient time in Toronto, as if it has anything to do with the conversation.

I can confidently say "Paris and Rome have more gothic revival historic fabric than Dhaka or Lahore" without visiting Dhaka or Lahore. I have never been to these two cities, but I am confident the statement is correct. See how that works? Similarly, my relative familiarity with Toronto has zero to do with whether or not Toronto has a significant stock of prewar highrises. Anyone with access to the internet would come to the same conclusion.
Oh woe is me NOLA you're so innocent here... I think Atticman addressed the prewar highrise argument well and you didn't even thank him for providing good details/information that countered your argument that Toronto only had one prewar building of note.... This is not the first time you have done this and that is why your posts don't really resonate with most Torontonians in here because as I mentioned before - they are vague and limited in details/information and are largely ignorant.. I remember the time in C V C when you claimed Toronto only had two highways for example lol.... When someone asks you for more meat you go 'away' for awhile than come back and never really address it and when they do say hey - no that isn't correct you take offense to it and counter with another comparison to something else.. Instead of being gracious and appreciating the detail and knowledge of the local poster you get offensive - very combative...... So I think its more a matter of the approach taken as opposed to others lacking an argument.

For a second or third time - I don't think anyone in Toronto claimed that it had the same prewar highrise stock that Chicago has... Not even one 'homer' - what was demonstrated however is your premise that there was only one was completely obliterated by Atticman.. Connecting this discussion between Paris and Rome gothic revival history fabric vs Dhaka or Lahore is simply daft...

Btw I suppose since you are always throwing the terms boosters/homers around and getting personal means you have no arguments most of the time??.. I bet you that of any poster in C/D you've levelled the booster/homer accusation more than all other posters combined.... Perhaps toning down the inflammatory rhetoric and getting more facts/details regarding your arguments about Toronto would do a whole lot to promote a more fruitful exchange of ideas. Otherwise its just popcorn entertainment....

Last edited by fusion2; 06-05-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Boy, you Toronto people are sure awfully touchy about your city. Having a bunch of old buildings doesn't make it any better or any worse.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Boy, you Toronto people are sure awfully touchy about your city. Having a bunch of old buildings doesn't make it any better or any worse.
Nola was the one going on and on about Chicago's prewar highrise stock and how T.O only had one of note... He was rightly corrected for incorrect statements re Toronto's prewar highrise stock.. I actually agree with you that it doesn't make one city better or worse on its own and eluded to that stating its 2015 now not 1935 (its an architectural style based on a period of boom that is really all) but saying 'you Toronto people' when it is Nola stoking those fires is well you know.....

If someone went into the S.D forum or SoCal and said something incorrect about S.D/SoCal i'm sure you'd pipe up and rightly you should! If you want awfully touchy people I suggest you go into the U.S section of the forums City v City.... reaaaalllly touchy.....

Last edited by fusion2; 06-05-2015 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
Here's a 1940 aerial of downtown Toronto. Most of these old towers still exist to this day (the old Toronto Star building being a notable exception). The Royal York, which according to some is the only pre-war tower of note, is actually not even shown in this pic as it is just out of frame to the left.

Toronto at that time was pretty comparable to nearby Buffalo in regards to the size of the skyline and number of towers.

1940 Aerial View Of Downtown Toronto .... Toronto, Ontario, Canada by Greg's Southern Ontario, on Flickr

Old 06-05-2015, 09:31 PM

Pics like these.....!! The best part of the thread....

Old 06-06-2015, 06:38 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I can't recall reading posts here where a poster said Toronto was "better or worse" because of having "old buildings".
One questioned if Toronto had any pre-war buildings... Others replies with pictures and responses, and then the initial person portrayed as if they never asked the question and started to back-track.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:15 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I can't recall reading posts here where a poster said Toronto was "better or worse" because of having "old buildings".
One questioned if Toronto had any pre-war buildings... Others replies with pictures and responses, and then the initial person portrayed as if they never asked the question and started to back-track.
No, this is complete nonsense.

One Toronto homer claimed that Toronto had more of a prewar skyline than that of Chicago. I responded that this was nonsense, and that Toronto had almost no prewar highrises (both true statements) and then a bunch of Toronto homers claimed that this wasn't true because apparently I hadn't spent enough time in Toronto (as if my relative number of visits to Toronto has anything to do with the relative number of prewar highrises).

Old 06-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, this is complete nonsense.

One Toronto homer claimed that Toronto had more of a prewar skyline than that of Chicago. I responded that this was nonsense, and that Toronto had almost no prewar highrises (both true statements) and then a bunch of Toronto homers claimed that this wasn't true because apparently I hadn't spent enough time in Toronto (as if my relative number of visits to Toronto has anything to do with the relative number of prewar highrises).
Cite post and poster... I think you'll have a very difficult time doing that because I went back and couldn't find any basis in this sentence at all at least in posts since 2013.. There was a gap in posts between 2013 and 2015 so forgive me if I haven't gone back to post 1 but lets go to recent post history in 2015...

You did go on and on about the fact that Toronto only had one prewar highrise of note yet it had/has more... Remember a highrise prewar is not the same as a highrise of today generally speaking..

Still looking for said post/poster from Toronto who said Toronto had more of a prewar skyline than Chicago... Where's waldo??

Is this what you are referring to?

//www.city-data.com/forum/39824550-post823.html

Nothing controversial about this and is established fact and you'd either have to be blind not to see this or just plain ignorant of the fabric that is a large part of Old Toronto - but more to the point this has absolutely nothing to do with comparing the prewar skylines of either Toronto or Chicago.. You've created a straw man argument.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-06-2015 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto