Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 05:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I responded that this was nonsense, and that Toronto had almost no prewar highrises (both true statements)
That photo I posted upthread proves otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 09:08 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,773,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If someone went into the S.D forum or SoCal and said something incorrect about S.D/SoCal i'm sure you'd pipe up and rightly you should! If you want awfully touchy people I suggest you go into the U.S section of the forums City v City.... reaaaalllly touchy.....
I don't really care what people say or think about San Diego. That is their problem. Yes, I probably will correct somebody but I am not going to argue about it.

I know that San Diego and SoCal are great places to live and that is all that matters to me.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I don't really care what people say or think about San Diego. That is their problem. Yes, I probably will correct somebody but I am not going to argue about it.

I know that San Diego and SoCal are great places to live and that is all that matters to me.
C'mon SoCal easier said than done... I get you here and really you are right but seriously - we're on here for a discussion about cities, if we didn't care what people thought we wouldn't be on here

Old 06-06-2015, 11:15 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
That photo I posted upthread proves otherwise.
It clearly does.
If you notice a pattern with that poster they are always either: a) backtracking, b) changing the subject, or c) pretending as if they don't see information has been posted. My guess would be because of public embarrassment.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post

Ummm, it looks like that what is occurring here from what I see. People are posting information to correct someone who is constantly posting misinformation.

So what you said you would "probably" do, and what others here are actually doing are the exact same thing. Correcting misinformation.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:52 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, this is complete nonsense.

One Toronto homer claimed that Toronto had more of a prewar skyline than that of Chicago. I responded that this was nonsense, and that Toronto had almost no prewar highrises (both true statements) and then a bunch of Toronto homers claimed that this wasn't true because apparently I hadn't spent enough time in Toronto (as if my relative number of visits to Toronto has anything to do with the relative number of prewar highrises).
You just never stop, do you? You are so ignorant and dismissive to anyone who challenges your ideas. I dare you to find that post you claim you read about a so called Toronto "homer" claiming that Toronoto had more of a prewar skyline than Chicago. It shouldn't be a problem since you seem to remember it so well. Good luck though, as I'm pretty sure that no one would make such a claim, as it is so ridiculous!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
You just never stop, do you? You are so ignorant and dismissive to anyone who challenges your ideas. I dare you to find that post you claim you read about a so called Toronto "homer" claiming that Toronoto had more of a prewar skyline than Chicago. It shouldn't be a problem since you seem to remember it so well. Good luck though, as I'm pretty sure that no one would make such a claim, as it is so ridiculous!
Which other cities had a prewar (WWII) skyline that bested Chicago's in the world... Only other one I can think of is NYC.. Prewar what did a host of Asian skylines look like or Dubai - lol... Chicago slaughtered them too... Its now 2015 and cities like Shanghai, Dubai etc etc could give a rat's behind about Chicago's prewar skyline lol... Those cities are leaving our skylines in N.A in the dust especially in terms of height. I think you can only use the pre 1950's skyscraper development card so much and than it just becomes a yawn and stuck in the past.

This is 2015 and in the North American context only Toronto has been able to hang with NYC in terms of scraper/highrise development in this century.. I don't want Toronto to look back I want it to look forward.. We're never going to have the prewar stock like that in Chicago and who cares!! I don't want Toronto to have massive areas of urban blight either... I don't want Toronto to lose its momentum whereby it transitions from being a place that is always desirable to a place where large parts of it aren't anymore.... I want it to continue to densify and grow..

Old 06-07-2015, 12:28 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Which other cities had a prewar (WWII) skyline that bested Chicago's in the world... Only other one I can think of is NYC.. Prewar what did a host of Asian skylines look like or Dubai - lol... Chicago slaughtered them too... Its now 2015 and cities like Shanghai, Dubai etc etc could give a rat's behind about Chicago's prewar skyline lol... Those cities are leaving our skylines in N.A in the dust especially in terms of height. I think you can only use the pre 1950's skyscraper development card so much and than it just becomes a yawn and stuck in the past.
Dubai's skyline is a joke compared to Chicago, or any other city with a skyline developed over time. It's like someone built a bunch of isolated Disneyworld buildings out in in Aurora, ON farm fields or something.

And that's irrelevent to the question. The point is that a previous poster claimed that the Toronto had a great deal of variety over the skyscraper eras, even moreso than Chicago, and everyone knows that is wrong.

Looking at the 50 tallest buildings in Toronto per Emporis, I think the oldest is from 1969 or something. I bet you if I looked at the top 100 or top 150, it wouldn't be much different. Maybe 2 buildings in the top 150 would be prewar.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:

This is 2015 and in the North American context only Toronto has been able to hang with NYC in terms of scraper/highrise development in this century.. I don't want Toronto to look back I want it to look forward.. We're never going to have the prewar stock like that in Chicago and who cares!! I don't want Toronto to have massive areas of urban blight either... I don't want Toronto to lose its momentum whereby it transitions from being a place that is always desirable to a place where large parts of it aren't anymore.... I want it to continue to densify and grow..
Now the poster is backtracking... again, since they still haven't pointed to the post they are talking about (see post #858).
Again, I think it's due to severe embarrassment.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Now the poster is backtracking... again, since they still haven't pointed to the post they are talking about (see post #858).
Again, I think it's due to severe embarrassment.
Of course... Not even worth the time to acknowledge anymore. I knew it was a lost cause about a year again with the claim Toronto had only one or two highways... When a bunch of us corrected him he didn't even so much as admit that he was incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto