Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
metro (greater) Houston which has about 5.628 million people covers over 26 thousand squared km's.
the golden horseshoe area covers about 31 thousand nad has almost 3 million more people.
Chicago is a western city and Toronto is along Canada's Eastern megalopolis. I'm thinking it's similar to Greater Boston (11th largest) vs. Boston-Worcester-Manchester CSA (5th largest) which is in the U.S.'s Eastern megalopolis. Greater Boston is only 12,105 km². Providence, RI, only 66 km away, is a separate MSA but part of the CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Chicago is a western city and Toronto is along Canada's Eastern megalopolis. I'm thinking it's similar to Greater Boston (11th largest) vs. Boston-Worcester-Manchester CSA (5th largest) which is in the U.S.'s Eastern megalopolis. Greater Boston is only 12,105 km². Providence, RI, only 66 km away, is a separate MSA but part of the CSA.
How is Chicago a western city when it touches one of the lakes it's not even west of the mississippi.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
How is Chicago a western city when it touches one of the lakes it's not even west of the mississippi.
I never understood that one either. Chicago being a "western" city in the USA is just a cultural construct, nothing more. In the USA Chicago may be referred to as "the west" but in Canada, anything west of Ontario is "the west" while anything east of Manitoba is "the east". That's Canada's unofficial boundary between east and west. Evidently in the USA, their east-west boundary is located much further east.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Chicago is a MID-western city. Chicago is in the Midwest.
Western cities are in the mountains, the deserts, and along the Pacific Ocean. There isn't the slightest similarity between Chicago and Billings or Sheridan or Flagstaff or Portland, etc.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Chicago is a MID-western city. Chicago is in the Midwest.
Western cities are in the mountains, the deserts, and along the Pacific Ocean. There isn't the slightest similarity between Chicago and Billings or Sheridan or Flagstaff or Portland, etc.
So you're saying Chicago's in the middle of the west?

Just kidding...

Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 41,449 times
seattle..toronto are both similar because seattle is libaral elitist toytown like Toronto, and the people are similar, the cost of living is same and they both are colonized by asians. Have visited both but toronto and chicago only share the windy, but chicago is tough hustle and bustle major city, toronto is big city with small town feeling and better subway and trams everywhere.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:57 PM

251 posts, read 825,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Sure, it's Western...because Chigaco NHL team playing in Western division as well as Detroit

Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiremann View Post
seattle..toronto are both similar because seattle is libaral elitist toytown like Toronto, and the people are similar, the cost of living is same and they both are colonized by asians. Have visited both but toronto and chicago only share the windy, but chicago is tough hustle and bustle major city, toronto is big city with small town feeling and better subway and trams everywhere.
I hear you! A friend of mine from Seattle also mentions that Toronto bears a striking resemblance with Seattle, much to my surprise, the layout of the city, a small and compact downtown core, the waterfront area, a skyline dominated by one tall structure.

IMO, Toronto and Chicago's resemblance stops at weather, population and geographical location. Chicago has a MUCH bigger downtown, a much more extensive subway system, a much more impressive skyline, a lot more beautiful architecture, and most likely more and better clubs and retail stores (neiman marcus, bloomingdales, fifth saks ave, barney's, you name it). On the other hand it also exhibits a vast difference in wealth, large and probably the most appaling slums and way more crime. My friend warns me NEVER take the subway south beyond a certain stop. Take the express bus directly to University of Chicago if you ever need to.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM

251 posts, read 825,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
probably the most appaling slums and way more crime. My friend warns me NEVER take the subway south beyond a certain stop. Take the express bus directly to University of Chicago if you ever need to.
and this disadvantage is killing all advantages Chicago has over TO imho

Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
Toronto doesn't have a small downtown core, it has a HUGE downtown core, just as big as Chicago's only with fewer extremely tall buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto