Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 07:23 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Once again, even though this has been repeated continuously. Carding targets blacks that are not engaged in criminal behavior. The majority of carding encounters lead to no criminal investigation and disproportionately target black males that have no criminal record.

So what exactly do I have to prove? If this targets law abiding citizens and results in no criminal charges, then what is its use? Why should someone like me have to answer for a small criminal element that exists in my community? Are you as a white man targeted for every sex offender or rapist that fits your description? Unless if you are implying that the majority of black residents in the GTA are criminals, which of course is not supported by any fact.
Again the question I'm asking is, say carding was discontinued tomorrow. What exactly is the net positive effect will that have with black people in Toronto? As I asked before will black people be much happier with carding gone than they are now? Will they commit less crime? Will they be any less violent? Probably no to all three of those questions.

So other than not being stopped by cops randomly and providing personal info, what other positive benefits do blacks gain from the end of carding? For me I'm NOT AGAINST ending the practice or at least having it altered. I just want to know what positive effect is that going to have on blacks that's so significant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 03:50 AM

126 posts, read 557,193 times
Canada's black population compares very favorably with African Americans in terms of their rates of crime.

This is certainly true of Toronto. This is revealed in part by the fact that the city has a lower homicide rate than large and largish American cities: there is not a single American city with over 300,000 people that has a lower homicide rate, and in larger cities it is not even close. This means that even if we assume that all homicides here were committed by blacks (something which we know not to be true), and that most murders in the states are committed by blacks (75% say), it would still be true that blacks here commit murder at a far lower rate than African Americans. Indeed, the Toronto homicide rate (1.34 per 100,000) is lower than than the rate in even the whitest of American states -- places like Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Iowa, Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota -- suggesting that the black homicide rate here is lower than the white homicide rate in the states.

What is true of Toronto is almost certainly true -- moreso, indeed -- of places like Vancouver and Winnipeg.

The only place where you might have comparable black crime rates would be Nova Scotia. And that would support the theory that black crime rates owes much to racial oppression (and I don't just mean slavery).

So don't listen to the ignorant posters who would have you believe that black crime here is totally out of control.

By the way, this is why it is important to collect and release crime rates by race: in the absence of such information, ignoramuses like Max Sterling can fill in the gaps based on their own preconceptions.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:58 AM

126 posts, read 557,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Excellent points.

The problem within the minority community and "rising to the top" is that you at times need to not fully reveal who you are to get there. Touching on certain race related topics for example is something that makes people uncomfortable and in turn we tend to reserve those conversations to times we are amongst ourselves.

I have been at my company for 7 years and there are still co-workers that I cant fully cut loose around. When I am on the soccer field after work with my West Indian and Nigerian friends, we speak freely and cut loose, but back at the office we all tone it down quite a few notches. I suspect that when Mr. Saunders is sitting around at a BBQ with his Jamaican family, he may admit that "Dis deh carding ting is a bunch a ****ery my yout" but then in front of a panel amongst his peers he needs to toe the line.

Its a tough situation to be in and maybe I should symphatize with the man a bit more.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:50 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
^^^

Old 05-05-2015, 12:20 AM

47 posts, read 90,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
The objective of police is to fight crime isn't it? And if most crime is coming from the black community the wouldn't it make sense to target black people and specifically black males who commit the overwhelming majority of murder and violent crime in Toronto?

So you want police to fight crime in the city, but because most criminals happen to be black you don't want them to profile and do their job of fighting crime? Really? Yes its unfortunate that decent black people are mixed up in this and are potentially unfairly being stopped and questioned by police, but why don't you blame black criminals for ruining things for you instead of being angry at police who are only trying to do their job?

Seriously if blacks didn't commit so much crime, do you really believe cops would still pull you over for sh$ts and giggles or because they're just racist? Why don't black people do that for a while? Why don't they commit crime at a low rate for a few years and see if police won't treat them differently?

What exactly do Canadians have to 'get their act together' to make minorities feel welcomed more than they already are? Toronto is probably one of the best places for immigrants to come to and the same goes for Canada in general. To anyone who says Canada isn't welcoming and tolerant of immigrants, those people really need to visit other parts of the world to see the huge difference between those countries and Canada.

And also that's the thing about blacks. There is relatively little history in Canada of blacks being slaves and excessively oppressed up here, yet they STILL act the same as blacks in the US in being violent and criminal and this goes for both blacks who are born in Canada and new immigrants from black countries.

So anytime anyone points to American enslavement of blacks as to why black Americans behave the way they do, you only have to look at Canada's black population to completely disprove that argument.

The question is what exactly changes if Toronto police ends carding? I'm fine with it ending, but what difference does it make?

For most non-blacks it makes no difference whether there's carding or not because they were living peacefully before carding and they will continue to live peacefully after carding ends. So what difference will ending carding be for blacks? Will they live more peacefully without carding than with? Doubtful. Will they commit less crime after carding has ended compared to before? Highly doubtful. Will blacks be much happier and less violent with carding being ended than with carding still active? Highly doubtful.

So tell me what net positive affect does ending carding do for the black community?

I disagree with almost everything you said, lol. The one thing I will say I noticed about Black Canadian people is this. From my years of visiting Toronto even before I lived up there. It seems that a lot of Black Canadians takes some of their cues from African Americans and our identity as it appears in pop culture and media. And that includes crime and wanting to have a struggle to identify with. A lot of crime that happens in the U.S. that has many African American men in jail or involved in violent crime is due to systematic racism within the U.S. judicial system and also extreme poverty. The U.S. has extreme wealth and also extreme poverty. From what I saw in Toronto and I did go to the supposed bad areas in Toronto which look like a vacation compared to bad areas in major cities in the U.S. A lot of these bad areas in U.S. cities look like war zones literally. And like some others said the history of the U.S. Black people have always been held down by the System of White Supremacy.

Basically what i'm trying to say is that Black Canadians should be enjoying that they live in a country that is not as hostile to them, and has less crime. Instead of trying to create an environment that they see on T.V. in the U.S. thinking it's cool that dudes are committing crimes and killing each other because these dudes are living in terrible poverty, lack of education opportunities, on top of an oppressive system.

Our situation here in the U.S. is different as it refers to Black Americans. Black Canadians don't have any excuse to be up there in Toronto or other parts of Canada raising hell and violence. Other then being racially profiled by the Toronto police while driving, I loved Toronto. Toronto is a great city full of pretty cool people and Canada is a nice country that tries to do it's best to accommodate all it's citizens.

But "Racial Profiling" is unacceptable no matter where it's happening. And no it is never ok to racial profile. Because it's not only Black people in any place that are committing crimes. As I said the U.S. history is much different then Canada's history. American prisons are full of Black men. Canadian prisons are not full of mostly Black men. I saw this documentary about your Canadian prisons and most of the prisoners were not Black. Because there aren't even that many Black people in Canada or even Toronto for that fact. So the cops profiling Black people up there in Toronto is not an excuse, because Whites and other races commit crimes as well. So "Racial Profiling" is no good. Most of the time the cops waste time just harassing people that aren't doing anything anyways, and the bad guys are off doing crime while the cops are just wasting time with guys that aren't doing anything in the 1st place. Racial profiling is racist for one thing, and in the end it helps nobody. Big waste of time.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
Basically what i'm trying to say is that Black Canadians should be enjoying that they live in a country that is not as hostile to them, and has less crime. Instead of trying to create an environment that they see on T.V. in the U.S. thinking it's cool that dudes are committing crimes and killing each other because these dudes are living in terrible poverty, lack of education opportunities, on top of an oppressive system.

Our situation here in the U.S. is different as it refers to Black Americans. Black Canadians don't have any excuse to be up there in Toronto or other parts of Canada raising hell and violence. Other then being racially profiled by the Toronto police while driving, I loved Toronto. Toronto is a great city full of pretty cool people and Canada is a nice country that tries to do it's best to accommodate all it's citizens.
That's EXACTLY the problem. Blacks living in Canada have plenty of opportunity to grow and make something of themselves yet many still choose to be thugs and criminals and pi$$ all the chances they get. The same goes for many immigrant blacks that come here especially in recent years Somalis who come here and escape their sh$thole country. You'd think they'd be grateful and do something positive but nope, same old crap.

Quote:
But "Racial Profiling" is unacceptable no matter where it's happening. And no it is never ok to racial profile. Because it's not only Black people in any place that are committing crimes. As I said the U.S. history is much different then Canada's history. American prisons are full of Black men. Canadian prisons are not full of mostly Black men. I saw this documentary about your Canadian prisons and most of the prisoners were not Black. Because there aren't even that many Black people in Canada or even Toronto for that fact. So the cops profiling Black people up there in Toronto is not an excuse, because Whites and other races commit crimes as well. So "Racial Profiling" is no good. Most of the time the cops waste time just harassing people that aren't doing anything anyways, and the bad guys are off doing crime while the cops are just wasting time with guys that aren't doing anything in the 1st place. Racial profiling is racist for one thing, and in the end it helps nobody. Big waste of time.
Call it racial profiling if you want, but the fact is police will go to where the crime is and in Toronto that crime is mostly among blacks so naturally police will direct more resources and target them more as its the logical thing to do. As I said before fine get rid of carding and try not to profile blacks, BUT do you really think that will change anything at all among the blacks living in the GTA? Will blacks suddenly be much more happier and commit less crime? Of course not.

So yet again I ask, what is the net positive result that will come out of ending profiling and targeting blacks for more scrutiny? I'd really like to know.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:29 AM

54 posts, read 51,024 times
Quote:
I read this article and while it does suck that blacks do get 'carded' often and at a higher rate, the other two-thirds of the people being carded are non-black even though they don't commit even a fraction of the crime that blacks do in the GTA.

Also I disagree with this part of his article:

This is the polite, sophisticated racism that strangles the spirits of black Torontonians. We are asked to accept a world where police classify us not as criminals, but as people who must be monitored in the name of public safety, as if there is a difference. We are asked to give up our legal rights and human dignity to make those around us feel more comfortable.

It makes it sound like the police are out to get blacks and to watch over them for no apparent reason when in fact everyone knows that its because the crime and murder rate is so much higher among blacks compared to non-blacks in the city. Just look at the number of blacks in the past few weeks in Toronto that have been murdered or wounded by gunfire or other violence and come back and tell me that blacks don't need more policing to keep black crime in check? How many non-blacks have been murdered in that same timeframe? None that I can recall.

So what do blacks really want these days I'm not even sure anymore because they keep changing their minds. On the one hand they want the crime and murder among them to stop or at least be drastically reduced, yet when police try to do their job and stop crime, blacks come out and get angry that cops keep profiling them. So which is it then? Do blacks want real change or not?
Wow. You sound American

Old 05-22-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer reign View Post
Wow. You sound American
Well I AM an American. Just settled in Toronto and enjoying living here more than anywhere I've lived in the US by far.

And also adding that there has been another couple of murders the past few days in Toronto and surprise, surprise its another couple of blacks being gunned down. And people STILL wonder why blacks get profiled?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Well I AM an American. Just settled in Toronto and enjoying living here more than anywhere I've lived in the US by far.

And also adding that there has been another couple of murders the past few days in Toronto and surprise, surprise its another couple of blacks being gunned down. And people STILL wonder why blacks get profiled?
Yeah man, a couple sexual assaults happened as well. Suspects were white males, surprise, surprise. No wonder white men are constantly profiled.......

Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 PM

800 posts, read 730,151 times
Its bad.

But I swear I seen a teen beat up a cop and they cop did nothing.

Ask yourself, is that possible in the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto