Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times

Advertisements

Hands down the most "hated" group in our society is the white (nominally) "Christian" male -- the hatred is normalized, institutionalized, and pretty much universal. Hence "hate crime" legislation is not intended to recognize or record it. It will either be ignored by the police or considered a much lesser "crime".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
snip~
The three most targeted groups since 2006 have been the Jewish community, the Black community and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and ***** (LGBTQ) community. In 2014, the Jewish community, followed by the LGBTQ community and the Black community were the most victimized groups. The three most reported criminal offences motivated by hate/bias in 2014 were mischief to property, assault and criminal harassment. The Jewish community and the Black community were the most victimized group for mischief to property occurrences, while the LGBTQ community was the most victimized group for assault occurrences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 01:30 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not jumping for joy either but this is a high profile issue the city has had for a long time and it will be very nice to not have this skeleton in our closet.. By having the Mayor of the city coming out and saying officially this is wrong I think will be the most important part of getting a black cloud out of our skies. The city has its issues (as every city does) but its not all bad and the first step in getting rid of a big bad is a very good thing for any city to tackle.. Tory should be commended and is on the right side of history. Its like doing a puzzle and trying to find that really difficult piece that links a whole section together and I think this will be that piece for Toronto. Anyway, this would never have happened under Ford so this is another nail in the Ford political coffin and another step forward for our city...

Its been a good few days for Toronto- the UP Express is in full swing too...
Toronto as you said has its issues just like any other major city, acknowledging those does not make it a bad place at all, but rather one that can be better for many of its residents.

Tory calling for a stop to carding is a good step, but words must be followed by actions and the pressure must stay on until the police board follows suit and makes it official. Which is unfortunately not going to be easy to do.

The other issue is that once carding is ended, how do you deal with the underlying issue which is racial profiling? Many racially motivated encounters happen without a card being filled out, any person of colour in Toronto can attest to that. Also will this change in policy be followed up by additional training on how to deal with the communities that tend to not interact well with the TPS?

Finally what happens to all the cards that are on file already. Desmond Cole wrote a great article exposing how cards can have a negative effect on peoples job prospects, especially when applying for a job with the Police department or other departments at the municipal level. Did you know that you are unable to be considered for a job with the TPS if you have contact cards on file, even if those did not lead to any criminal charges? If the department wants to take the proper steps to embrace the black community, a good way would be to encourage men and women who grow up in these high risk areas to look at policing as a possible career and add their unique perspective to how those communities are policed.

Other things need to be addressed as well, like what happens when you exercise your right to walk away from a police officer if you feel unjustly questioned. Like these four young men on the video:

Toronto police TAVIS stop of four teens ends in arrests, captured on video | Toronto Star

Or this man: Sudanese man wins $27,000 in carding lawsuit against police | Toronto Star

Eliminating carding is hardly the final puzzle piece, there is a ton of work to be done.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:42 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Hands down the most "hated" group in our society is the white (nominally) "Christian" male -- the hatred is normalized, institutionalized, and pretty much universal. .
Wow. If that group is hard-done-by I can't imagine what it's like for all the others!

Last edited by Acajack; 06-11-2015 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Toronto as you said has its issues just like any other major city, acknowledging those does not make it a bad place at all, but rather one that can be better for many of its residents.

Tory calling for a stop to carding is a good step, but words must be followed by actions and the pressure must stay on until the police board follows suit and makes it official. Which is unfortunately not going to be easy to do.

The other issue is that once carding is ended, how do you deal with the underlying issue which is racial profiling? Many racially motivated encounters happen without a card being filled out, any person of colour in Toronto can attest to that. Also will this change in policy be followed up by additional training on how to deal with the communities that tend to not interact well with the TPS?

Finally what happens to all the cards that are on file already. Desmond Cole wrote a great article exposing how cards can have a negative effect on peoples job prospects, especially when applying for a job with the Police department or other departments at the municipal level. Did you know that you are unable to be considered for a job with the TPS if you have contact cards on file, even if those did not lead to any criminal charges? If the department wants to take the proper steps to embrace the black community, a good way would be to encourage men and women who grow up in these high risk areas to look at policing as a possible career and add their unique perspective to how those communities are policed.

Other things need to be addressed as well, like what happens when you exercise your right to walk away from a police officer if you feel unjustly questioned. Like these four young men on the video:

Toronto police TAVIS stop of four teens ends in arrests, captured on video | Toronto Star

Or this man: Sudanese man wins $27,000 in carding lawsuit against police | Toronto Star

Eliminating carding is hardly the final puzzle piece, there is a ton of work to be done.
If you can't celebrate successes Ed life sucks lol... One step at a time and every positive step forward lets take a moment to say hey - well done step in the right direction.. We're not machines Ed lol... Positive reinforcement isn't a bad thing.. While focussing on next steps - wow is everyone in The Toronto forums Debbie downers this week - god you guys need a VACAY... lol

I'm headed to Mexico city some of you guys are depressing in here

Old 06-12-2015, 07:14 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you can't celebrate successes Ed life sucks lol... One step at a time and every positive step forward lets take a moment to say hey - well done step in the right direction.. We're not machines Ed lol... Positive reinforcement isn't a bad thing.. While focussing on next steps - wow is everyone in The Toronto forums Debbie downers this week - god you guys need a VACAY... lol

I'm headed to Mexico city some of you guys are depressing in here
I guess its difficult to get excited about a mayor that says he no longer supports carding, two months after he voted to uphold it and appoint a police chief that supports its use.

He had an opportunity to truly do away with it. Now he goes on record when he no longer has to face a vote, so the status quo continues.

I do agree that I need a vacation, have one planned for next week. Enjoy D.F.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 AM

Desmond Cole was on Radio-Canada today talking about carding by the TPS... and he was doing it in French!

I guess he's a child of French immersion...

Old 06-15-2015, 08:00 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Desmond Cole was on Radio-Canada today talking about carding by the TPS... and he was doing it in French!

I guess he's a child of French immersion...
His family is from Sierra Leone

Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
His family is from Sierra Leone
That's unlikely to be the reason he speaks French as that's a former British colony (with English as an official language today) and not a French one.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:25 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,364 times
Oops. I mixed my countriessay around I was thinking of Sengenal.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Oops. I mixed my countriessay around I was thinking of Sengenal.
Same (general) neighbourhood though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto