Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yeah. I'm a bit north of Toronto and I've been stopped and asked all these obvious power trip questions more than a once. There was a thing here a few years ago where the police jumped on a handicapped man for smoking weed prescribed to him outside of a court before asking questions. Luckily people filmed it.

The problem inherent to cops (of course I'm speaking very generally here) is that it's a job that doesn't really attract academic or thoughtful types. It's a practical position so thinking before acting isn't as common as it should be. I know there are good cops, but so many of them present themselves in such a douchey answer-me-now kind of way that I just avoid the hell out of them. I get nervous just seeing one and I am the most innocent person ever.
Interesting. Do they have a similar carding policy in Sudbury as they do in Toronto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:46 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
I know there are good cops, but so many of them present themselves in such a douchey answer-me-now kind of way that I just avoid the hell out of them. I get nervous just seeing one and I am the most innocent person ever.
I feel the same way.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Interesting. Do they have a similar carding policy in Sudbury as they do in Toronto?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. To get you to show thm your ID? I don't believe you have to unless you are being implicated with good reasoning *in theory* for something. I don't think that rule would vary from city to city.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. To get you to show thm your ID? I don't believe you have to unless you are being implicated with good reasoning *in theory* for something. I don't think that rule would vary from city to city.
This explains what a "208" contact card is, used by the Toronto Police Services. The form itself is not illegal, but the way it is used is. That is the reason for the discussion that is happening now.

Race Matters: Blacks documented by police at high rate | Toronto Star

As a person who has no criminal record, but multiple contact cards on file. I know from personal experience that it is common practice by the TPS.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Quote:
This explains what a "208" contact card is, used by the Toronto Police Services. The form itself is not illegal, but the way it is used is. That is the reason for the discussion that is happening now.

As a person who has no criminal record, but multiple contact cards on file. I know from personal experience that it is common practice by the TPS.
Okay. Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm white and I've been stopped and asked weird questions, which I'm sure could have been recorded on these 208s. I don't know exactly though. It would be interesting to see if I could access these.

Also, there are not many blacks here in Sudbury at all - at least compared to other major cities. And they tend to be students from the Caribbean and (probably) also French-speaking African nations (we have a bilingual uni), and they are generally way more quiet and affluent-looking than the status quo of this town. It's very blue-collared because of the huge mining industry here. So it's hard to say whether or not they would be stereotyped by police as much here.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 PM

230 posts, read 535,912 times
Quote:
Okay. Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm white and I've been stopped and asked weird questions, which I'm sure could have been recorded on these 208s. I don't know exactly though. It would be interesting to see if I could access these.

Also, there are not many blacks here in Sudbury at all - at least compared to other major cities. And they tend to be students from the Caribbean and (probably) also French-speaking African nations (we have a bilingual uni), and they are generally way more quiet and affluent-looking than the status quo of this town. It's very blue-collared because of the huge mining industry here. So it's hard to say whether or not they would be stereotyped by police as much here.
Agreed. It makes little sense for GSP to use racial profiling in a town like this since 99% of crime is committed by whites. (And let's face it, by and large it's limited to two neighbourhoods: Flour Mill and the Donovan.)

That said, I imagine PDs in northern Ontario cities and most western provinces use TONS of racial profiling when it comes to people of First Nations descent.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:59 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:

Very disturbing Pandora's box! It may help deal with specific matters of crime here and there, but it does much more damage than good from a sociological perspective. I hope people rally around this and start doing something to change the practice... FAST!

We, the people of Toronto deserve a better Police force that engages in honourable practices and while at it better Mayoral leadership as well. I think people of my generation (under 40) would be more appalled by the practice than the boomers we have running the show in this city/country.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-03-2014 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Come to think of it - I have as well.. Not often but I have and i'd be interested what is on the 'secret' file about me.. We should ALL be interested in accessing our own files.. The more we agitate and demand access to our personal information the more this practice will come undone because I think people would be outraged.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Come to think of it - I have as well.. Not often but I have and i'd be interested what is on the 'secret' file about me.. We should ALL be interested in accessing our own files.. The more we agitate and demand access to our personal information the more this practice will come undone because I think people would be outraged.
It is not easy, but you can gain access to those files. if you are interested in pushing for this information I would be happy to put you in contact with someone who can help you access your cards.

The thing about it though is you probably would know if you were written up on a "208" The series of questions they ask and write down are consistent from encounter to encounter. Basically it is DOB, Race, Name, Alias, Time and Date of encounter, Gang Affiliation and associates.

Apparently according to one of my cards I was suspected to be affiliated with "The Blood" street gang, because I was with a cousin of mine on Neptune Drive who was wearing Red (I was not, I actually had on a backpack with my school books in them during grad school)

Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
It is not easy, but you can gain access to those files. if you are interested in pushing for this information I would be happy to put you in contact with someone who can help you access your cards.

The thing about it though is you probably would know if you were written up on a "208" The series of questions they ask and write down are consistent from encounter to encounter. Basically it is DOB, Race, Name, Alias, Time and Date of encounter, Gang Affiliation and associates.

Apparently according to one of my cards I was suspected to be affiliated with "The Blood" street gang, because I was with a cousin of mine on Neptune Drive who was wearing Red (I was not, I actually had on a backpack with my school books in them during grad school )
They didn't ask me that series of questions - it was more just out of curiousity ie why I was out and where I was going. They were trying to be 'friendly' but I just found it intimating and creepy to be honest and I think they saw that in my facial expression. Anyway feel free to PM me.. I don't think there will be anything revealing if they even have my '208' I just want to do it to make a point.. If everyone did this I think it would make a powerful statement against the practice.

In red lol - just drives me NUTS how the connection is made.. just so petty.. Red and Blue aren't common colours at all

Anyway it just underscores how dangerous and the life unto itself this practice is creating.. Its Orwellian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto