U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM

212 posts, read 346,795 times

Advertisements

Initially, we were planning on driving from Van to TO, but realized it'd just be too much. So now we're looking into shipping our car, and maybe some pieces of furniture.

Does anyone have experience with this? If so, could you enlighten me on some guesstimates with regard to price/time taken for the car/furniture to reach it's destination, and any companies you would recommend.

Any info is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 PM

377 posts, read 1,632,793 times
Budget between $5000 - $8000 for your furniture. Ours was $6000 (enough stuff to fill a 1600 sq/ft house).

I used Williams Moving and would not recommend them. I had them store our goods for 2 months prior to moving it back East. During this time they ended up sending it back and forth across the country 4 times due to their own poor communication - and expected me to pay for it because they claimed I instructed them to ship it (I most certainly did not). I reamed them out for this, and after this they completely avoided me, didn't return calls and displayed atrocious customer service. Then when it was time to deliver, they couldn't even find our stuff. I was only able to get everything delivered when I went directly to the shipping agent in Brampton and made arrangements through them.

Also an expensive piece of furniture was damaged and they were smoking over a box of clothes. Embers fell into the box and damaged every single one of my wife's winter coats.

That said, I used Hansen's Forwarding for the cars and had a great experience. Paid $1300 per car I believe. Dropped them off at their depot in Annacis Island, and they arrived at the depot in Scarborough exactly in the condition I dropped them off in one week later.

Also keep your receipts, as a cross country move is tax deductible if you're moving for work.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:38 PM

Also depending what you drive, you may wish to consider selling your car in BC and buying a new one here. Resale prices of cars in ON are much lower than in BC - and you can probably pocket some cash while getting the exact same car here (and saving shipping costs).

My wife's employer reimbursed us for our move, and our cars were leased - otherwise I likely would have just bought new cars here. Also the out of province inspection was a bit of a hassle.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with Williams Moving. Shipping big things across country is always such a delicate subject just because it's pretty much almost everything one owns in the hands of a 'stranger'.

I don't think we'll be shipping much, but our bed, couple of desks, electronics, night stands, clothes and shoes. Everything else can be bought again. But after reading a few things online, some say shipping costs for the car varies depending on what car it is/size etc, is there any truth to that? Even so, $1300 sounds pretty decent.

I will keep Hansen's forwarding in mind.

Would it be smart to ship it a week before we move out or the same time as when we'd leave? Just so we can have some sort of transportation once we are there, (we dislike public transit).

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Up to you. I sent one car two weeks before we left, and the other the day before we left. The first one was waiting for us when we arrived. Worked out well.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Also depending what you drive, you may wish to consider selling your car in BC and buying a new one here. Resale prices of cars in ON are much lower than in BC - and you can probably pocket some cash while getting the exact same car here (and saving shipping costs).

My wife's employer reimbursed us for our move, and our cars were leased - otherwise I likely would have just bought new cars here. Also the out of province inspection was a bit of a hassle.
I mentioned selling the car and buying another one but hubby is stubborn in that sense since it is his dream car and he's put alot of cosmetic work into it. It's a '95 Mercedes E320...not much of those around, atleast not here anyway so it was a lucky buy for him. It's in mint condition inside and out, low mileage, so it was a steal for $5,000. It's his 'baby', so taking it with us is our only option.

He can deal with the hassle of the inspection lol.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Yes I think sending it out early would be our best bet.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetess View Post
I mentioned selling the car and buying another one but hubby is stubborn in that sense since it is his dream car and he's put alot of cosmetic work into it. It's a '95 Mercedes E320...not much of those around, atleast not here anyway so it was a lucky buy for him. It's in mint condition inside and out, low mileage, so it was a steal for $5,000. It's his 'baby', so taking it with us is our only option.

He can deal with the hassle of the inspection lol.
Yeah keep it. Mid 90's Mercedes in ON are already rusting, so unlikely he'd be able to replace it.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetess View Post
[color=black]Initially, we were planning on driving from Van to TO, but realized it'd just be too much. So now we're looking into shipping our car, and maybe some pieces of furniture.
I can recommend some nice car transportation company, Ways Auto. They are also help with buying car in USA and bringing the car to Canada, but their main service is cars shipping and they working worldwide.

The company is Canadian, Toronto based, http://www.waysauto.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto