Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,996 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I want to relocate to Toronto from Vancouver with family. We have immigrated to Canada from Europe 1.5 years ago. We hope that there are more jobs there, especially in the IT sector.

We would like to rent a 2-3 br apartment for max $1400/mo. in a peaceful area with good elementary and high-school. I have found the rating of schools on the homepage of the Fraser Institute, so I know which schools told to be good. Unfortunately this report does not deal with the relations between students. As I read on different forums, certain discrimination could happen everywhere. Because of the ethnicity or different financial background, etc.

Taking into account our renting budget, could anybody suggest some school or district of Toronto for us?

Thanks,
Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 PM

207 posts, read 748,726 times
$1400/mths will get you a 1 bedroom in Toronto, 2 bedrooms just outside Toronto border.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM

According to my recent research there are dozens of 2br apartment for $1200-1400 in Toronto.
Are you a rental agent who wants to raise up the prices? :-)

Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 PM

207 posts, read 748,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2012 View Post
According to my recent research there are dozens of 2br apartment for $1200-1400 in Toronto.
Are you a rental agent who wants to raise up the prices? :-)
LOL!

12 years ago, My rent was $1100 for 2 br North Toronto (Eglinton and DVP), the area is not even that good. Im not trying to scare you, just keeping you up to date. My friend is paying $1400 right now for one br 600 sqft near roger center.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Well, you seems to be right:-( You know I have really found many 2br apartments in Toronto, but the problem is that they are just out of good school districts. I have realized that even if two condos are only couple of blocks apart, there are huge difference in the rents if one of them belongs to a good school.

Well, we do not want to live definitely in the heart of Toronto. GTA might be acceptable for us if we are living in a good school district, the neighborhood is okay and the downtown is easily accessible.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,357 times
Call the school too to confirm they accept 'condo kids'. With the rise in condos in the city, many schools aren't accepting kids who have condo addresses in the city and are being bused to further away schools.

Students in the lurch as condo crush forces school boundary changes - Parentcentral.ca

Oh and "GTA" and "downtown is easily accessible" are mutually exclusive terms.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM

63 posts, read 120,905 times
Also I am afraid that in the upcoming months the prices will only go even higher... :\

Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 15,119 times
I'm trying to figure out Toronto from Los Angeles. What does "GTA" mean? I keep coming across it. Also, are Riverdale, Greenwood-Coxwell, York Mills, Willowdale, Newtonbrook all areas with good schools? Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:25 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droberts8 View Post
I'm trying to figure out Toronto from Los Angeles. What does "GTA" mean? I keep coming across it. Also, are Riverdale, Greenwood-Coxwell, York Mills, Willowdale, Newtonbrook all areas with good schools? Thanks for the advice.
GTA = Greater Toronto Area and encompases a vast area with a huge population (you can Google 'Greater Toronto Area' to learn more).

As far as schools in the following: Riverdale, Greenwood-Coxwell, York Mills, Willowdale, Newtonbrook, I'd guess that the last 3 have good schools and probably the least favorable would be Greenwood-Coxwell. I'm no expert in schools but am going by the areas in general. I'd think there is a website that rates schools.

Riverdale and Greenwood-Coxwell are city and York Mills, Willowdale, Newtonbrook are more like suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto