Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM

129 posts, read 336,356 times

Advertisements

I heard it's got one of the best job markets in Canada. I live in Vancouver and am fresh out of school, looking for a job in I.T. Many of the job postings here ask for experience and I don't have any. Only the certificates (A+ and Network+)

I thought if I move to a more obscure location in Canada, the standards for hiring would be a bit lower(and the cost of living), I could gain my experience there and come back to Van in a year or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 PM

111 posts, read 590,175 times
Funny, I'm in IT just starting out and a lot of the opportunities ended up existing out West in Calgary.

Kingston itself is a nice city. The old downtown has a lot of history and nice architecture, and the setting of the city is very inviting. A lot of the other parts of the city are rather old and dull from what I remember from several years ago when I visited regularly.

When it comes to your plan, I think you need to be mindful of the fact that a smaller and more obscure market doesn't necessarily mean less competition. The greatest thing that you can do as an IT professional is to be able to do some form of co-op program or internship during or immediately after school if possible so that you can point to however many months/years of relevant experience before hitting the market. If it's too late to do that then I can see how moving markets might help since Vancouver looked rather sparse, however make sure that you have opportunities lined up before taking the plunge to Kingston.

Kingston has a college with some computer programs which may also saturate the entry-level opportunities.

As someone who just spent the better part of a year keeping an eye on the job market for IT (networking and sysadmin), I'd either consider Calgary or Mississauga. Those two cities have a lot of work and constituted a lot of the opportunities that I saw, and for that matter places like Waterloo, Brampton, etc... also have quite a few tech companies. I had a few offers from companies in the GTA and Waterloo, and much of my class found jobs in London, Waterloo, and the GTA. Of course living in Calgary or the GTA means a higher cost of living, but if you can get in at one of the many large companies that operate out of these cities then your income will more than compensate.

The jobs are out there, any of those markets would probably be more fulfilling. If you can skip having to start out at a small joe-blow company out in Kingston you should try to. It might be easier to accept a lower entry-level job than to sit it out and wait for something better, but it's certainly much easier to move up the ladder after working at that harder-to-get job as opposed to trying with experience at an obscure company.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM

236 posts, read 627,817 times
Kingston is a University / Prision / Military town.

These students, prisioners, and military probably make up 50% of the population. Real talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto