Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violator1977 View Post
As far as the poster from Cambridge.. I was under the impression that MA had state provided healthcare for all? Even if MA doesn't, I believe the state of healthcare in that state is one of the best in the U.S., making it an exception and not the rule. I know for most of the country, my employees included, healthcare is simply too expensive to afford. There is this non-sensical negotiating system in the U.S.. Doctors/hospitals will bill an excessive amount for something, the insurance companies will have their negotiated rates, and if the doctor/hospital is not happy with the amount "authorized" by insurance, they expect the patient to pay for it. That is a lot of headache and a source of worry for a lot of people, and I believe this system has evolved to the state it has to be a deterrent for many that are insured to use it freely (even though they are paying for it). I have personally had this experience with Blue Cross/BS, United Healthcare and Unicare, so I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this. The problem is that with costs so high, people don't go [to a doctor] when they really should. I know of many cases when people have serious symptoms but will not go until the last minute when their bodies cannot function anymore. This can be disastorous.
Yes Massachusetts passed a Universal Healthcare law in 2006, which has resulted in 98.7% of adults and 100% of children currently being insured. Which for comparison sake is compatible to many European Countries.

Now as far as most of the country is concerned, according to last Census 90% of Americans were insured. So the majority of the country finds a way to afford Health Insurance. And while I am living in the State with the lowest uninsured rate in the country you are living in the State with the highest. In Texas almost 25% of the population is uninsured, so your view on the Healthcare system in the US is through probably the worst example of insuring its residents in the Nation. No argument from me there.

My point above though is Obama's Healthcare Bill is modeled directly off the Massachusetts, Netherlands and Swiss reforms. So many of these issues you find will be corrected once the law is phased into society. And as much as a certain segment of society wants to ***** and moan about it, it is law and was upheld by the Supreme Court....so that is our current reality. What many Canadians love to do though is live in the past and speak about these issues and not allow the healthcare law to go through the process of being established. What our reality is today, will not be reality in the future if this law works as its intended to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 AM

207 posts, read 926,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Yes Massachusetts passed a Universal Healthcare law in 2006, which has resulted in 98.7% of adults and 100% of children currently being insured. Which for comparison sake is compatible to many European Countries.

Now as far as most of the country is concerned, according to last Census 90% of Americans were insured. So the majority of the country finds a way to afford Health Insurance. And while I am living in the State with the lowest uninsured rate in the country you are living in the State with the highest. In Texas almost 25% of the population is uninsured, so your view on the Healthcare system in the US is through probably the worst example of insuring its residents in the Nation. No argument from me there.

My point above though is Obama's Healthcare Bill is modeled directly off the Massachusetts, Netherlands and Swiss reforms. So many of these issues you find will be corrected once the law is phased into society. And as much as a certain segment of society wants to ***** and moan about it, it is law and was upheld by the Supreme Court....so that is our current reality. What many Canadians love to do though is live in the past and speak about these issues and not allow the healthcare law to go through the process of being established. What our reality is today, will not be reality in the future if this law works as its intended to.
I just hope the republicans do not get a chance to repeal the new healthcare act / smother it while it is still in the cradle. I believe most Americans will come to love it wants it is fully implemented.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock67 View Post
I just hope the republicans do not get a chance to repeal the new healthcare act / smother it while it is still in the cradle. I believe most Americans will come to love it wants it is fully implemented.
I would agree.

Repeal is not as easy as they make it sound though, we are talking about a long and arduous process of dismantling the bill piece by piece through committee to make that happen. This would also have to coincide with the Republicans winning an filibuster proof majority in both the House and Senate in addition to the White House.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:45 PM

38 posts, read 66,856 times
Quote:

I wasn't aware that Texas had the highest rate of uninsured in the country. How well does the MA system of health insurance work for the "average joe" in MA? I can tell you from personal experience that many doctors I know are livid about the Obama healthcare bill. No doubt, with universal healthcare, America will take one more step in the path to evolution. Now we just need to reduce the military budget by 75% and put it towards our education system, arts and humanities.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,452 times
Quote:

90% of Americans were insured.
Complete BS.

One in four Americans without health coverage: study | Reuters

Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM

242 posts, read 510,812 times
Obamacare is great for the US. I hope it passes I really do. For the sake of the tens of millions of Americans who cannot afford basic health care I think this is a great move. I hope it isn't blocked if Romney wins in November. I am not living in the past, I am living in 2012. Things look like they will finally begin to change in the US which is fantastic. Nobody will be more happy than me.

And yes, I have only ever lived in Canada. BUT I have many US friends who I discuss healthcare with all the time. We go back and forth, exchanging points of view and educating one another. I also am able to read the news, do research, and communicate with Americans. So my opinion still counts for something. It's not like I'm some un-educated bum who has never picked up a newspaper or done the adequate research on the topic.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
I pulled the second to last Census by accident. According to the last Census uninsured rate is 16% Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage: 2010 - Tables & Figures - U.S Census Bureau

Not the 25% you are claiming.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Obamacare is great for the US. I hope it passes I really do. For the sake of the tens of millions of Americans who cannot afford basic health care I think this is a great move. I hope it isn't blocked if Romney wins in November. I am not living in the past, I am living in 2012. Things look like they will finally begin to change in the US which is fantastic. Nobody will be more happy than me.

And yes, I have only ever lived in Canada. BUT I have many US friends who I discuss healthcare with all the time. We go back and forth, exchanging points of view and educating one another. I also am able to read the news, do research, and communicate with Americans. So my opinion still counts for something. It's not like I'm some un-educated bum who has never picked up a newspaper or done the adequate research on the topic.
You claim you read up on the topic, but then you say that you HOPE "Obamacare" passes?? It already passed! So yes you are obviously living in the past.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM

242 posts, read 510,812 times
^ I am not an idiot. If Obama loses the election in November, the bill will face even more challenges as Romney has stated many times that he will immediately get rid of it. So while it's looking great now, there is going to be a lot of opposition and hurdles to get through. If Obama wins in November, obviously Obamacare is going to go through 100%, but I am realistic enough to realize that there is a chance things go the other way.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Ultimately -- the Canadian system is a more 'fair' system. Your health care quality is not determined by your economic status -- in the USA it is very much a class system. If you have money -- you have access to the greatest health care..if you don't -- get in line and experience health care that is marginal at best.
then maybe you believe the fact poorer people can't afford to buy a yacht is unfair too? Poor people can't have nice houses either. Of course you would argue healthcare is unlike houses or yachts because it is a necessity. I am not against universal healthcare but there is absolutely nothing wrong with allowing people with better means to purchase superior medical treatments, which costs more.

I don't see the unfairness where richer people have access to better quality of healthcare service. To say everyone should have access to the same level of medical service regardless of their financials is truly unfairness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto