Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,023 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Toronto for 28 years and Boston for the last 2 and the only thing that could ever pull me back to Toronto is family at this point. I still come back home quite regularly and people ask "How's Boston or the States?" almost like they are awaiting horror stories about how terrible it is and how superior life is in Toronto. I'm sorry, I'm having a blast and my quality of life overall is so much higher. When I go back to Toronto for a visit, I hate to say it, but the people, atmosphere, buzz, opportunities, architecture, history, streets, etc... just feel subpar. Even the so-called fancy areas don't look that impressive. It also doesn't feel very international as it should. Yes, we have a huge immigrant population but we don't seem to get the best of the best and the city is run by an establishment that is mediocre and lazy at best. I find the US more inclusive and willing to provide opportunities to those who work hard. Plus I have to deal with the local attitude of being a "traitor" or the puzzled looks when I don't say Toronto is best place on earth. Anybody have to deal with this crap as well? Grow up people!!! I'm tired of it. Toronto is a good city and can provide a good quality of life (and it's my home and always will be) but it's not GREAT, it's GOOD.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
You're going to get a lot of hate for posting this, but I agree with every word. I moved from the NE US to Toronto in 1999, and experienced much of the same (but opposite-- when I'd visit back to America, I'd get the questions upon returning. I've now moved back the the NE US- NYC currently (with a few stops in between) and have never looked back.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Oh, and before people jump on me for my statement, I am also a Canadian citizen-- but I lived in the US for most of my childhood and moved to Canada in my teens. I am married to a born and raised Torontonian, and he's actually come to agree with my viewpoint as well. He's still a diehard Leafs fan though .

Old 05-24-2012, 04:59 PM

277 posts, read 785,967 times
It's not the fact that people might not be crazy about the city which is a problem, but going out of one's way to demonstrate that they don't like Toronto is a strange phenomenon for me that I still can't figure out. Why the random negativity? I don't personally like Chicago very much, but does that mean that I will randomly go on the Chicago forum and say "Hey, guess what guys!? Chicago ain't that great, just thought I'd let everyone know!".

Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jordania View Post
It's not the fact that people might not be crazy about the city which is a problem, but going out of one's way to demonstrate that they don't like Toronto is a strange phenomenon for me that I still can't figure out. Why the random negativity? I don't personally like Chicago very much, but does that mean that I will randomly go on the Chicago forum and say "Hey, guess what guys!? Chicago ain't that great, just thought I'd let everyone know!".
I agree with this as well, despite the fact that I posted above, but also find irony in it because I feel that a lot of Torontonians spew random negativity about the States. Having moved from America to Canada, complete with my 'Joisey' accent, I constantly heard unwanted and unwarranted opinions about how the States suck and Canada kicks a$s. So it kinda goes both ways .

Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 PM

I feel that a lot of Torontonians spew random negativity about the States. Having moved from America to Canada, complete with my 'Joisey' accent, I constantly heard unwanted and unwarranted opinions about how the States suck and Canada kicks a$s.

Ever been to Europe? I got scolded on the metro in Paris once because my suitcase brand was "American Tourister". A suitcase!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jordania View Post
I feel that a lot of Torontonians spew random negativity about the States. Having moved from America to Canada, complete with my 'Joisey' accent, I constantly heard unwanted and unwarranted opinions about how the States suck and Canada kicks a$s.

Ever been to Europe? I got scolded on the metro in Paris once because my suitcase brand was "American Tourister". A suitcase!
Indeed I have. Never experienced anything visiting-- I did live there when I was very young-- too young to remember! I'm sure if I live there in the future, I may come across the same.

I did live Latin America a few years ago, and though stereotypically Latins aren't big fans of Americans, I never experienced the same issue there.

I also acknowledge that this appears a much stronger trait of Torontonians (or so I've been told), but that the rest of Canada is not like that. I've only visited Vancouver and Montreal, so I can't speak of any real experience.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Indeed I have. Never experienced anything visiting-- I did live there when I was very young-- too young to remember! I'm sure if I live there in the future, I may come across the same.

I did live Latin America a few years ago, and though stereotypically Latins aren't big fans of Americans, I never experienced the same issue there.

I also acknowledge that this appears a much stronger trait of Torontonians (or so I've been told), but that the rest of Canada is not like that. I've only visited Vancouver and Montreal, so I can't speak of any real experience.
So the opinions of a bunch of Teenagers represents all Torontonians?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
So the opinions of a bunch of Teenagers represents all Torontonians?
Oh trust me, the teenagers weren't the issue. It was the adults, parents, and later on my coworkers who were the perpetrators.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Oh trust me, the teenagers weren't the issue. It was the adults, parents, and later on my coworkers who were the perpetrators.
You should have told them to shove it

I'm a Torontonian living in Montreal, and I constantly have to defend myself for being from TO. It kinda sucks to be honest, and as per theme of this post, there's an out of the way determination from people in this city/rest of Canada that absolutely have to let me know that they hate it (some have never even visited!). Ever see the film "Let's all hate Toronto"? Not the greatest piece of work, but it shows you what a strange, nation-wide condition it is.

As I've had time to think about it I've realized that there are other deep seeded issues at work....same for those who go out of their way to be anti-american (I used to be at one point).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto