Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times

Advertisements

You guys are so helpful. I have another question: Do merchants in Toronto and Niagara Falls accept US currency? If not, what are some suggestions for converting my currency to get the best deal on exchanging fees? My credit card carrier will charge a 3.5 international transaction fee so I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with money while I'm visiting Toronto in a few short weeks. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM

328 posts, read 997,522 times
Yes, they will take U.S. pretty much wherever you go. I have used it in Toronto and surrounding areas. Sometimes you will get an annoyed look or a joke about monopoly money but they will take it, they are used to it.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:34 PM

277 posts, read 786,278 times
It would be much safer and less of a hassle if you exchanged your currency before going to TO.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 AM

984 posts, read 2,713,256 times
You may get some poor exchange rates by doing it that way.
The airport will have a currency exchange desk or use your bank card at a bank machine. It will dispense canadian money and your bank will work out the exchange.

2 tips
Let your bank and credit card companies know you are going and when. They will put a foreign travel advisory alert on your cards. If you don't transactions might get declined. This is done to prevent fraud..

While talking to your bank see if they have an ATM alliance.. For example when i go to Canada if i use my bank of america card at any Scotiabank ATM it's just like i'm using my own atm. I don't pay any transaction fees. If i use any other bank I pay 3 fees.. One from the machine for not being their customer . one from BoA for using a non-BoA machine and a $5 BoA international fee

Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
You may get some poor exchange rates by doing it that way.
The airport will have a currency exchange desk or use your bank card at a bank machine. It will dispense canadian money and your bank will work out the exchange.

2 tips
Let your bank and credit card companies know you are going and when. They will put a foreign travel advisory alert on your cards. If you don't transactions might get declined. This is done to prevent fraud..

While talking to your bank see if they have an ATM alliance.. For example when i go to Canada if i use my bank of america card at any Scotiabank ATM it's just like i'm using my own atm. I don't pay any transaction fees. If i use any other bank I pay 3 fees.. One from the machine for not being their customer . one from BoA for using a non-BoA machine and a $5 BoA international fee
Thanks for the advice ... Especially about the ATM alliance tip .... Hopefully, Chase has an alliance with at least one Canadian bank.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 PM

65 posts, read 185,310 times
I'm from U.S and wondering about the same thing about money situations. Heading to Canada also in a few weeks, depending. However, I'll be driving past Toronto to Belleville, Ontario. Anyways, what kinds of places, stores, etc... does exchange U.S dollars to Canadian money? Curiousity, does Canada have Navy Federal banks around?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:42 PM

285 posts, read 703,414 times
When I'm in Toronto--as I am a few times each year--I always stop at a bank machine and get cash. This seems to be the best rate of exchange. Scotiabank seems to be the best option for me.

Of course, you should look at the symbols on your card and on the bank machine to make sure the two are compatible.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post
When I'm in Toronto--as I am a few times each year--I always stop at a bank machine and get cash. This seems to be the best rate of exchange. Scotiabank seems to be the best option for me.

Of course, you should look at the symbols on your card and on the bank machine to make sure the two are compatible.
Yeah ... I need to research this further ... I already know that my bank does not have any alliances with any of the banks in Canada so if I were to withdraw money at a Canadian bank/ATM, I'd pay 3% plus $5 for each transaction ... I was planning on getting some currency before I leave but I may wind up having to pay this should I need additional money *sigh* Of course, my credit card has the 3% charge plus any interest that accrues from the transaction. Looks like no matter how I slice it, I will be hit with international fees. Goodness gracias!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
Yeah I'm glad I have a Bank of America account ... Scotiabank makes getting cash in Canada so easy!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 PM

65 posts, read 185,310 times
Banks finds ways to screw us one way or another, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto