Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:14 PM

119 posts, read 99,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It seems that the apologists for racial profiling are missing a key element of societies based on rule of law. It is that everyone is an individual and that presumed guilt by association is not permitted.

Which is mean that even if 100% of the people involved in gun crimes were of a certain identifiable group, that does not mean that all members of the said group should be targeted by police if they haven't done anything wrong.

The only instance where it is acceptable to be stopped by police based on what you look like is if they are seeking a white male suspect aged 25 wearing, say, a Maple Leafs jersey, a Buffalo Bills caps and white New Balance sneakers, and you happen to be a white male aged 25 wearing a Maple Leafs jersey, a Buffalo Bills caps and white New Balance sneakers.

But if you are white male aged 25 wearing a Maple Leafs jersey, a Buffalo Bills caps and white New Balance sneakers going around minding your own business, in a rights and rule of law based society, the police have no business stopping you and interrogating you simply based on what you look like.
Please, do you honestly think that if several Neo-Nazi crimes were committed by “white guys”, wearing “typical” Neo-Nazi attire (no specific colours or shoe brand spoken of), over a two month period that the cops wouldn’t be pulling over every punk with a shaved head and a swastika on his shirt!!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
First of all, you don't know me at all. I don't live in the "hood". I don't live in a violent area. My parents made sure that I stay out of violent areas.

And how can I teach people how to behave if I don't live near them?

And furthermore, I don't appreciate you comparing Black people to dogs.

RE: The bolded: now there's the route of the problem or in your case, the cure. Who are these parents that want their 14-year-old out in the streets at a "block party" 'til all hours of the morning? It's such a shame that a very young girl was subjected to this.

Side note: what is a 14-year-old girl, living in subsidized housing, doing with a BB anyway?? Monthly plans start at what? 60 bucks.

BTW -The BB shows in the media photo's, along with the blurred out boy friend hanging off of her, which the parents seemed quite happy to submit to the press, generating more of the same attitude, that most blacks in social housing, fit into this negative stereotype (it's time to get a clue parents )

Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 AM

271 posts, read 532,046 times
You just need to go to "D-Block" to see what the problems are.

Unsupervised kids, electronics galore in each house, single mother homes, BMWs driving by "male visitors" who don't live there, so many people claim to "work with at risk kids" which almost always means "recruits and sells drugs to at risk kids", like buddy who died in the Eaton Centre shooting. Drive past it, ignore the terrible condition of the front lawns and the bedsheets covering windows, and just pay attention to the bikes and cars on the driveways. It's almost like a middle class neighbourhood, with all the junk these poor, poor people have acquired somehow.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
This is why Canada needs mandatory minimum sentencing like Florida's 10-20-LIFE legislation to correct the issue. Once enacted, these laws brought about a 30% drop in gun crimes in the Sunshine State. Such laws give the so-called "at risk" groups something to think about. The smart ones will reconsider stupid decisions to shoot up crowded shopping malls and house parties over a "dis" or whatever stupidity these types consider to be a killing offense. The dumb ones will continue to end up dead or be put in a cage for long periods of time where they belong if they can't handle real life. Consecutive sentencing, getting rid of cable TV, reinstating hard labour and making prison an overall horrible place to go would also help drop those numbers. Privitization of correctional facilities is another option if the government wants to wash its hands with the cost and reformations.

Bottom line: If you can't do the time, DON'T DO THE CRIME! k:
I can't say I disagree about what to do with prisons. With that said, there is another issue with prisons you haven't addressed: Prisoners have contact with one another. It's hard to get gangs off the streets, but it's even harder to keep gang members from recidivism. One problem is that when gang members are around one another, their criminal behavior is merely incubated and when they are released, they just cause more havoc in the streets. Another thing is this. For a gang member, being in prison brings "street cred" to that gang member. Basically, gangs act as a separate society. In the regular society, going to prison is something shameful and a bad place to be. For gang members, it is a place where one's freedom is taken away, however, they will be in company with one another, and they get "street cred". Many people who commit crimes and go to prison don't seem remorseful for their crimes because they don't see themselves as part of society, and often have a "look out for me and forget everyone else" mentality.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,283,932 times
Interesting study conducted by Justice Roy McMurtry and Dr. Alvin Curling

Review of the Roots of Youth Violence: Executive Summary

Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Interesting study conducted by Justice Roy McMurtry and Dr. Alvin Curling

Review of the Roots of Youth Violence: Executive Summary

What a bunch of gobbledygook. I wonder how much that cost the taxpayers. With sweeping recommendations like "reduce poverty, repair the social context, empowerment focus, create a comprehensive youth policy framework (just what we need---more policy, no action" it becomes meaningless. Oh, and "Overall, where people live should not itself produce the immediate risk factors for their being involved in violence." ---- well duh, isn't that the crux of the problem.

Unless I missed something there isn't one concrete recommendation in the plan like "open a youth centre at so & so intersection by fall of 2012".

They should have taken the money that went into that report and just built one youth center or hired some youth counsellors (like former gang members) that would walk the streets and actually engage with at-risk youth.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:05 PM

We've tried that......The Guardian Angels.....didn't work.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini_g View Post
We've tried that......The Guardian Angels.....didn't work.

I don't know about the Guardian Angels, but there are some promising findings from the U.S. showing that street-level intervention by outreach workers with 'street cred' has had a positive effect, fewer homicides and fewer non-fatal shootings, although obviously just a drop in the bucket considering the high homicide levels that prevail in both those cities:

In Chicago:

http://www.ipr.northwestern.edu/publ...rs/summary.pdf

In Baltimore:

http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/7...ationfinal.pdf

For all I know Toronto has something like this in place already. Also I don't know the levels of gang violence in Toronto. But I'm sure it's nowhere close to places like Chicago (311 homicides so far this year) and Baltimore (125 homicides so far this year, and it is much smaller than Toronto).

Toronto has had 31 homicides so far in 2012. (And of course not all homicides are gang-related).
Toronto Police Service :: To Serve and Protect However from the toronto police site it does look like gun violence in 2012 is increasing from previous years.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 AM

No where close to Chicago's gang violence - at least that's what they (police, media etc.) keep telling us.
Relativly speaking though, it's getting there. We seem to be on a upswing of crimes being commited with brazen, disregard for human life. Doesn't seem to matter if kids or babies are around....they just shoot or leave their own kid in the car as they go about their crime.
We need a Giuliani type here to clean things up!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,392,932 times
God damnit you guys are sitll talking about this????? A Few poeple get shot and its all over the media, Its sad what happened but what about Winnipeg, were peopel get killed evey other week and no one gives a ****. I hear NOTHING about winnipg on the news and its murder rate is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse then Toronto. Its a shame Canadians need to ge thier priority straight. these criminals inToronto are pathetic!!!!!!!!! they want to be gangsters sooooo bad when they pull out their guns their hearts start pumping they get nervous and then start shooting like idiots, no self control. They cant even do that right!!!!!!!.............I was there back in 2005 when that poor girl got shot in the head by a straight bullet down on yonge street, SO THIS IS NOTHING NEW!................ Torontonians are cry babies and a bunCh of new york wanna be's .......iF YOU HAD ANY BACK BONE YOU WOULD HAVE FIXED THIS PROBLEM ALOOOONG TIME AGO. AND THE PROBLEM IS NOT CRIME, ITS TOLERATING CRY BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini_g View Post
No where close to Chicago's gang violence - at least that's what they (police, media etc.) keep telling us.
Relativly speaking though, it's getting there. We seem to be on a upswing of crimes being commited with brazen, disregard for human life. Doesn't seem to matter if kids or babies are around....they just shoot or leave their own kid in the car as they go about their crime.
We need a Giuliani type here to clean things up!
Its getting there??????????You obviously have no idea what your tlaking about.........Toronto is a walk in disney world compared to Chicago. the Police are 100% right when they say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto