U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:59 PM

251 posts, read 765,915 times

Advertisements

We're thinking to relocate from Toronto to Oregon- Hillsboro (job offer). All website I found on 'moving' comparing only US cities. How would you compare Toronto to Portland/Hillsboro?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,870,167 times
I'm a lot more familiar with southern Oregon, but from my several trips through Portland, here are a couple of observations.

Portland is considerably smaller with less ethnic diversity. Its downtown core is not the skyscraper jungle that you'll find in TO.

Obviously the climate is lot milder with plenty of grey skies and rain in the fall and winter months. Below freezing temperatures are a rarity and spring comes a lot earlier.

An hour's drive out of Portland can have you at the ocean in one direction or well in to the mountains in the other. There are numerous outdoor opportunities within easy reach.

Portlland's only major league sports team is the NBA's Trailblazers. If you need a hockey fix, you'll have to make do with Portland WinterHawks Junior A action. The Portland Beavers provide Triple A baseball.

Get used to no Timmies. You can get by with Starbucks, Dutch Brothers, or the Human Bean for your coffee needs.

You might want to ask for specific Portland info over on the Portland forum.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:59 PM

Thanks Cornerguy!
Can you tell about crime over there (comparing again to TO), quality of schools (high school, elementary, universities)?
My son's condition to move, it's sign him to the local hockey league lol... cannot find one in Hillsboro....
I've been in Oregon in summer (from Portland up to Crater Lake)..the weather was perfect, no humidex like in Ontario... is it normal for the state?
BTW, where ppl go for swimming in the summer time...we'he been to Colambia river, but I didn't se anyone swimming...

Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 AM

9,594 posts, read 25,199,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
I've been in Oregon in summer (from Portland up to Crater Lake)..the weather was perfect, no humidex like in Ontario... is it normal for the state?
Have you heard the "You Might Be From The Pacific Northwest" joke "If you have no concept of heat and humidity"

I've never been to Oregon, but I study a lot of climates.
From what I know (low altitude) Oregon is supposed to be cool/cold and wet or warm/hot and dry, at least 99% of the time.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:56 AM

4,284 posts, read 14,870,167 times
Quote:
Thanks Cornerguy!
Can you tell about crime over there (comparing again to TO), quality of schools (high school, elementary, universities)?
My son's condition to move, it's sign him to the local hockey league lol... cannot find one in Hillsboro....
BTW, where ppl go for swimming in the summer time...we'he been to Colambia river, but I didn't se anyone swimming...
I think the best spot to find the answers to most of your questions are over on the Portland sub-section of City Data's Oregon forum.

The areas of Oregon east of the Cascades have that sunny, low humidity thing going on year round, but on the coastal side of the mountains where Portland is, you can expect a lot more rain and humidity. Winter is worse than summer.

Good luck with the hockey league. LOL. You will probably find something in the Portland area, but in most other areas of the state hockey ranks somewhere behind Bocce ball as an organized sport.

Put together a list of specific questions and post them in the Portland section of the Oregon forum. There's lots of knowledgable, helpful folks over there.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM

112 posts, read 590,821 times
This is an interesting topic for me. My partner and I (late 20's) are wanting to move and our two options are Portland and Toronto. It is a difficult decision since the cities seem fairly different.

Portland is smaller, has more moderate temps, has more natural surrouding beauty, is within an 1-1.5 hour of mountains and ocean, is more "green," is more rustic/outdoorsy, and is more laid back.

Toronto is a world-class metropolitan city with tons of stuff to do, brilliant public transportation (Portland's is good as well), lots of diversity, every restaurant and shop you could want, and easy access to cheaper airfare when traveling.

So it just comes down to what we want in our lives at this point in time. Although, staying the US would be easier.

Mapleleaf - How do you like Toronto? How long have you lived there?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,651,849 times
[ So it just comes down to what we want in our lives at this point in time. Although, staying the US would be easier.

Depends on your personality, but I will say for myself at your age, I would have preferred Toronto - bigger, more cosmpolitan which would expose you to more cultures (variety) i.e. food, etc etc. - a little more excitement. At my age I am ready to retire in Portland because I believe it will be relaxing and laid back, though still stimulating enough - at least for someone my age which is not to say young people don't/won't like it. Whatever you decide, good luck!

You can always move to Portland later, especially as it is in a stage of flux now.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:06 PM

I live in Toronto 8 years.
"easy access to cheaper airfare when traveling." - I woudn't say so... Flights from Buffalo much, much cheaper (sometimes we fly from there).
Public transportation also pretty bad, very small subway, old buses... we almost don't use it. GO train is pretty good, but it's not everywhere and usually runs only in rush hours of weekdays.
Weather is very good in fall, OK in summer (too humid), very-very bad in winter (cold and a lot of snowstorms).
A lot of lakes where you can swim and fish.... but we really miss mountains... we're traveling to VT, NH to enjoy mountains. Also forest in New England better than in Toronto imho.

We don't like downtown Torontom too noisy, poluted, many homelesses (even though I think less than in downtown Portland). Actulally,we live not in city of Toronto, but at the west end of Great Toronto area. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Toronto , much better in suburbs (North and West of Toronto imho).

Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM

Also note that prices of houses in Portland area much cheaper than in Toronto area,
I was comparing per site New homes for sale, houses for sale, single family model homes, new home construction sales, townhomes for sale - 1

Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,651,849 times
I'm going to bet that these guys have enough money as they apparently can choose where they want to go. They have to bring in enough money to Canada if they want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto