Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToronto View Post
I moved here 3.5 years ago. I fell in love with the fantasy....mountains and oceans. Then reality set in....

This place is like america. It's more like the american south. White is still right. Human rights don't really exist. Crime is awful here. Druggies and winos everywhere.

People do not speak with you. They speak at you. They don't engage. They fear people who are not from BC. So they are passive aggressive.

There is an inherent lack of trust to all things not white. Laws are written against the people instead of for the people.

Citizens have very few rights unless a lawyer represents them. Government run insurance is horrible for drivers.

The government here taxes people to death. On average, people spend 88% of their income just to have shelter, whether that be an owned home or a rental.

Segregation never ended here. People are angry, mean, cruel. I've never seen a society in Canada like this.

My friends and family in TO keep telling me to come back home. I wish I could. I'd have to bring my family back with me. This place eats up money. And people keep feeding it money.

No nightlife unless your 21 yrs old. No real culture.....the art scene is this fake bohemian, new age, modern hippy thing.

The weather is warm. But the people are cold. They simply hate Toronto and the people from TO but they've never been. Isn't that interesting?

BC is easily 20 years behind in its human evolution. Its a tough place to be. I am looking forward to returning home one day. Today just isn't the day.......

I don't get it. you're complaining about a lack of night life for under twenty one year olds but are talking as though you already have a family? Are you really a parent who would think it appropriate for their children to enjoy a night life while being under twenty one years old in a major city? Really?

Night scenes or activities within any city I know from coast to coast would be limited to movie theaters for under twenties. Other than that school sponsored activities would be the only other exception but I suspect Vancouver has it's share of both of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 04:57 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I don't get it. you're complaining about a lack of night life for under twenty one year olds but are talking as though you already have a family? Are you really a parent who would think it appropriate for their children to enjoy a night life while being under twenty one years old in a major city? Really?

Night scenes or activities within any city I know from coast to coast would be limited to movie theaters for under twenties. Other than that school sponsored activities would be the only other exception but I suspect Vancouver has it's share of both of those.
Seriously? Are you saying 18 and 19 year olds don't go out to bars and shows in most Canadian cities? That wasn't my experience in Montreal, at least. I didn't realize it was so unusual, and none of the older adults in my life looked down on me for it. An 18 year old is a young person, but not a child.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,519 times
Drinking age in Quebec is 18, is it not? When we were there it was anyway. Yeah, we used to cross the border into Quebec to drink when we were 18, but that doesn't mean I would approve of my own child doing it! (do as I say not as I did )

Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Never understand why the drinking age has anything to do with quality of life. 19, 21, or even 30, what's the difference? Many countries don't even have a legal age, does that mean youngsters have a better life there?

Or for that matter, the opportunities to drink. Are bars some sort of good life indicators? What kind of friends do you really make in a bar? Go from New York to Montreal just to consume some alcohol, really? It is pathetic that alcohol is even considered some indispensable part of "fun", as if one can't enjoy himself without passing out over some drink.

I am sure if alcohol is available for kids of 7 years old, teenagers won't even try to hard to get it any more. It is pathetic some talk as if alcohol leads to some sort of nirvana.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:51 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,519 times
For the 19-25ish age, I think that a social scene would qualify as a 'quality of life' factor, which to them would include bars/pubs/dance halls.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,979 times
Hi skiingallday:

I appreciate your post here. Because you have lived in both cities... your input seems practical. I am 40 years old, married, no kid, and have lived in Vancouver and Winnipeg. I am recently developing a sense of change 'lifestyle' as in more competitive environment for everything. Competitiveness for the better including way of thinking where "agreed to disagreed" is part of the norm. In my experiences with Vancouverites, they are timid, pretentious, hardly lived anywhere else in Canada, and tend to complaint too much.

I look forward to reading more post like yours.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingallday View Post
But as for your "white is right" crap.... you're just spewing total bull****. People here don't care about their race, what they care about is if they are even trying to be a positive impact on society. aka are they working hard and being honest? My main issue regarding the multiculturalism is when the various gangsters immigrate to Canada and start shooting each other. Toronto has the same issue.

ehhhhhh....I dunno about that. I recently went on vacation in BC this summer to vist my friend who had moved out there. He's not in Vancouver, but in the southern interior in Salmon Arm. I'm telling you, man, everything was ni**** this, and ni**** that, native jokes to no end. I was shocked and was VERY disappointed.

Maybe it's an interior, mountain thing. I remember about two years ago, he had brought his wife to Windsor to visit us. She's a mountain girl. When we were downtown she litterally said, OUT LOUD.....
"Holy ****! Look at all these ni****!!!!!!", "There's another ni****!". We were all just sitting there, mouths a-gappin' in disbelief, telling her to shut the **** up. It's not like that here. We were going to bring her to Detroit....until she started spouting off that garbage.

I thought it was just her until I went out there myself.

Otherwise.....I had a great time, and would go back in a heartbeat.

ps...sorry everyone for the use of the "N" word, even if I did blank it out, but I wasn't seriously going to write "N word this and N word that". lol

Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
We were going to bring her to Detroit....until she started spouting off that garbage.
I would gone through with it just to see how things would've played out...

Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Nooooooooo freakin way was I taking her to Detroit. Not with that mouth. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

lol

Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
ehhhhhh....I dunno about that. I recently went on vacation in BC this summer to vist my friend who had moved out there. He's not in Vancouver, but in the southern interior in Salmon Arm. I'm telling you, man, everything was ni**** this, and ni**** that, native jokes to no end. I was shocked and was VERY disappointed.

Maybe it's an interior, mountain thing. I remember about two years ago, he had brought his wife to Windsor to visit us. She's a mountain girl. When we were downtown she litterally said, OUT LOUD.....
"Holy ****! Look at all these ni****!!!!!!", "There's another ni****!". We were all just sitting there, mouths a-gappin' in disbelief, telling her to shut the **** up. It's not like that here. We were going to bring her to Detroit....until she started spouting off that garbage.

I thought it was just her until I went out there myself.

Otherwise.....I had a great time, and would go back in a heartbeat.

ps...sorry everyone for the use of the "N" word, even if I did blank it out, but I wasn't seriously going to write "N word this and N word that". lol
I bolded the part that says it all. Salmon Arm is nothing like Vancouver. It's hours away and a different world. Think country music, red necks etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto