Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
You can throw a dart at a map of Toronto and land in a good school district each time. Can't do that in Atlanta.
All of the 416 is the same school board zone so there is no geographic difference in school admninistration regardless of where you live in the city. Suburban school boards in Toronto are also typically much bigger than U.S. school districts and cross municipal boundaries. Plus, suburban municipalities tend to be bigger in Canada. This also makes a differences.

"School district" is an American concept often consisting of much smaller units than the school boards we are accustomed to in Canada, and where Thornhill or Agincourt might have their own school district. Things don't work that way in Canada.

Illustrative claims for full effect aside, I am pretty sure you wouldn't want your kids' school in Toronto chosen from a random dart thrown on a board. Even if they are under the same administration, all of the schools in a given Canadian city aren't all equally good even though one good thing about the Canadian model is that funding levels tend to be more consistent here than in the U.S. where there is a greater disparity according to the wealth of "districts" which tend to be smaller in geographic size.

That said, Canadians really do have to get out of the mindset that things-are-always-better-in-Canada-in-all-respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 PM

271 posts, read 532,263 times
Try posting the full sentence next time, chief. Then, you'll see how your tangents are unrelated to my comment.

Like I said, it's adorable when you revise history.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Try posting the full sentence next time, chief. Then, you'll see how your tangents are unrelated to my comment.

Like I said, it's adorable when you revise history.
Did you not read my sentence in regards to school choice? That would negate the moving from neighborhood to neighborhood argument right there. So please try again. Or do I need to define school choice for you?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Hey, you responded to me and changed the question, not me. I responded to what I felt was an incorrect blanket statement, not necessary directly related to the concerns of the OP. Your inability to read properly isn't my problem.

Now, tell me if I'm wrong...

If you throw a dart in this beacon of education that is Minnesota, is it not possible that you land in North Minneapolis, where funding levels, home ownership, and economic possibility is lower than ANYWHERE in Toronto? I realize that this won't necessarily apply to the OP, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I hate having to explain things to such an educated guy like I'm a daycare worker trying to convince you the round peg won't fit in the square hole.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM

And I like those snide comments you left on my profile. You pretend to know things about me! Adorable!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Hey, you responded to me and changed the question, not me. I responded to what I felt was an incorrect blanket statement, not necessary directly related to the concerns of the OP. Your inability to read properly isn't my problem.

Now, tell me if I'm wrong...

If you throw a dart in this beacon of education that is Minnesota, is it not possible that you land in North Minneapolis, where funding levels, home ownership, and economic possibility is lower than ANYWHERE in Toronto? I realize that this won't necessarily apply to the OP, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I hate having to explain things to such an educated guy like I'm a daycare worker trying to convince you the round peg won't fit in the square hole.
Once again YAWN...

What part of my argument are you not understanding. There are good and bad schools in every single city in North America, including Toronto. Are you telling me you do not care where your child attends school in Toronto? You would feel just as comfortable with them at CW Jefferys as Leaside? Of course there is a chance you will end up with a bad school in Minneapolis, but how on earth is that different than Toronto?

My point is that there are cities in the US with high enough public education standards and school choice that make it possible to not pay $1m plus for a property just to ensure your child is well educated. I gave you two examples of that and for some strange reason you can't accept it. The chances of you ending up in a solid school in Minneapolis is the exact same as Toronto. Arguably even higher.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:57 PM

You still don't get it.

There's a bad school in Canada. Which is funded to the same level as the good schools, employs teachers who don't need to work second jobs and have studied for years and are deep in debt for the opportunity (the waiting list here for a full-time gig is YEARS long and thousands deep), and has students that want to be there.

Then there's a bad school in the US. Which is not funded adequately, has incompetent/green/problematic teachers who need to work second jobs, is surrounded by crime in most cases, and has students that would rather get high than aim high.

There are no bad schools in Canada the way Americans are used to thinking of bad schools. CW Jeffrey's being this thug central is another myth that the ghetto classes like to throw out there, to convince themselves that they're hard. CW Jeffrey's would have white kids lining out the door to attend if it was in Chicago. Don't be naive.

And who said anything about $1M? If you want to live in Yorkville and go to school in Yorkville, yeah, but you can buy three homes for that in Brampton. Sure, it may get you five homes in Atlanta, or six or seven in Miami, but there are other factors into play that could actually make living in Atlanta or Miami not seem like that much of a savings.

Last edited by illcosby; 08-27-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
You still don't get it.

There's a bad school in Canada. Which is funded to the same level as the good schools, employs teachers who don't need to work second jobs and have studied for years and are deep in debt for the opportunity, and has students that want to be there.

Then there's a bad school in the US.

There are no bad schools in Canada the way Americans are used to thinking of bad schools. CW Jeffrey's being this thug central is another myth that the ghetto classes like to throw out there, to convince themselves that they're hard. CW Jeffrey's would have white kids lining out the door to attend if it was in Chicago. Don't be naive.

And who said anything about $1M? If you want to live in Yorkville and go to school in Yorkville, yeah, but you can buy three homes for that in Brampton. Sure, it may get you five homes in Atlanta, or six or seven in Miami, but there are other factors into play.
Once again you have zero understanding about many cities fund their schools in the US.

We are not dealing with Chicago here, people always run to Chicago, Baltimore and Detroit when they want an extreme example. If you think Toronto is a shining example of how to run a public school system (I agree Toronto does a very respectable job) Then compare it to US cities that are also examples of Public Schools "done right". Which is precisely why I brought up the two states that I used as an example.

Do you know what a weighted student funding formula is? It is exactly the same system all Minneapolis, Toronto and Boston use for funding their schools. Funds follow the students, not the location of the structure and if it is located in a wealthy neighborhood or not. Which is why you have a school like Boston Latin which has kids from Roxbury, Dorchester sitting right next to other students who live in Beacon Hill and Back Bay. So in some cases a "Bad" and "Good" school in the US is the exact same as one in Toronto.

If we were speaking about Flint Michigan here? Of course Toronto equips their children to succeed better, but do not just turn a blind eye to cities in the US that are succeeding in the same way.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM

Arg, this is so circular. We're arguing in circles. Again, you're missing my point, so you're commenting on something else that I really don't care about and won't make the effort to digest because it isn't relevant to what YOU responded to in MY initial post.

Is there an ignore button somewhere?

Old 08-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Is there an ignore button somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto