Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

It is somewhat embarassing to have Canadians insinuating that something magical happens as soon as you cross the border and that anything, just by virtue of being in Canada, is automatically better.

I do personally think that the school funding régime in Canada is a good model that leads to more equal delivery of education to all kids.

The U.S. tends to be a more extreme society than Canada. Bad stuff in the U.S. is often worse than the worst stuff in Canada. But one thing Canadians overlook is that that which is better in the U.S. (be it education, health care, job opportunities, etc.) is often far superior to what we have in Canada.

That's why blanket statements about Canada always being better are ridiculous.

Life in Canada in most respects is more about offering middling to acceptable quality to everyone, more than it is about pursuing excellence. And it's perfectly OK to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM

164 posts, read 375,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Pignchick,

Just to briefly touch on your question about the costs associated with Labor and Delivery. It really depends on what type of Insurance plan you have.

My wife and I had our daughter almost 2 years ago. We are at the age where many of our Friends are and were also having children around the same time. During a conversation on our last trip to Toronto my wife met with two of her old Uni friends who also had children over the past 2 years. Of the three my wife paid the least for our entire pregnancy and delivery. Both of her friends had to pay to upgrade to a Private Room, so I believe that ran them around $250 to do so. Under our Insurance plan a private room is paid for 100%. Of course this is not even an issue here in Boston because all hospitals in the city (even the "safety net" hospital) have fully private rooms throughout the entire hospital. No one ever shares a room. Otherwise, we paid $15 for our initial visit to our OB/GYN and everything else (All appointments, labor and delivery, private room, 2 night stay for recovery, 3 room service meals for both my wife and myself a day) was paid 100%. Never saw a bill. Heck our Inurance even paid for our Medella Breast Pump 100%.

Of course this is our plan, yours may be different. But check into it because everyone we know here has a similar health plan to us. Do not immediately assume you will pay more because you are in the US.
great point and not about schools thx

Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM

242 posts, read 510,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
# I don't plan to live in Ohio, and they don't represent the entire country. Ohio is part of the rust belt for 1, so schools may be marginally worse here becuase of a lower tax base. And, also what schools did you visit? Did you talk to some students? I don't think that you can generalize for the entire state or the USA based on your limited analysis.

Also, I am not sending my future kids to a crappy school in Canada or the USA (yes there are bad schools in every city in Canada and the USA); all that matters to me is that my kids can go to a great school that prepares them for higher education. I can get well reviewed schools in every province in Canada and every state in the USA. The question at hand, is which place is cheaper. And, you clearly enjoy the USA, since you invested in three condos here. Why is that? Maybe, becuase Canada real estate is overpriced. With the money I save on real estate, I could send my kids to a top level private school like Pace Academy in Atlanta or Breck in Minneapolis. I would rather invest in my childs education than in Toronto Real Estate.

The only negative in the USA is the healthcare system. Americans take on more risk than Canadians.. but Canadians pay for that luxury by having higher prices for just about everything.

We can agree to disagree on pretty much everything you've said.

But I guess since the topic here is "what city is cheaper" to raise children... in that case the US will ALWAYS win with this regard, especially with their horrible economy right now. Why you would even start a thread comparing the cost of living of Toronto to Atlanta and Minneapolis? Everyone knows Toronto living is very expensive.

Last edited by travis3000; 08-30-2012 at 09:09 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
^ The US has some great schools, never denied that. I am only arguing overall stats which state that OVERALL the school system in Canada generates a more even/equal distribution of funds thus ensuring each student will receive a similar education regardless of the area. This is not the same in the US. I am glad you have choices to send your children to a good school, that's all that matters in the end. But some kids aren't so lucky, sad to say.

And btw... Milton now has 80,000 people! It's Canada's fastest growing city at the moment

Yes I know Milton is the fastest growing city. Use to work for the Town of Milton and visit every year, at least once a year. I know it very welll.

I would argue that a student at an elementary school in Regent Park will not get the same quality of education as a student in Oakville, Rosedale, etc.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
More extreme society -- yeah that's it. But you know what -- every time I go back to Canada I see more and more of that happening in Canada as well. It's hard to explain but the difference in Canadian/American lifestyles have become less and less each time I come back home -- except for the cost of living.

I do think the more extreme is because of the size. Think of it. Small town Ontario compared to Toronto.......Toronto is more extreme....it's bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto