Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 20,549 times

Advertisements

Hello! A little about myself: I'm an American female in my mid to early 20s. I'm going back to school in Toronto this fall (2012) and am currently looking for rooms shared/temporary housing. I'll only be up in Toronto for 2-6 months, so I don't need anything long term.

What are the housing situations like in Toronto? My monthly rent (I'm hoping) will be no more than $1000 for a shared room including utilities but I would ideally love to spend around $600. Since I will be alone for a part of the time as well as relying on my feet or public transit, I'm also concerned about safety. I'm mainly looking to rent along Eglinton Ave W.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
The right question should be what are the unsafe neighbourhoods in Toronto, as most are safe.

It is possible to share an apartment for $600, and something much better for $800. I don't think $1000 is necessary unless you have to live somewhere upscale. Maybe try St Clair/Bathurst? It is relatively affordable with quick access to downtown, if you don't want to live in downtown.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 AM

271 posts, read 532,085 times
Crime seems to be very random here, in terms of muggings and break-ins and stuff and night... it seems to happen everywhere, even in elite neighbourhoods, but obviously with less frequency than in poorer neighbourhoods. Violent crime is typically between violent criminals and if you're not one, your odds are good. For the most part, 98% of Toronto is safe at all times, you just need to take normal big city precautions when out late (know where you're going and how to get there, hide the electronics if there's not much activity around).

I live in a desirable, middle-class neighbourhood off of Eglinton and there's still the odd night robbery, usually some girl distracted, talking on her phone and stumbling home at 2AM, but violent incidents are unheard of here. There are some older apartment buildings on Eglinton between Bathurst and Bayview (East side) and you may be able to get a 1 bedroom to yourself if you increase your budget slightly, otherwise it looks like roommates if you want to stay in this area for under $1000.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Thank you!

I'll be going to school in the morning and early afternoon and then hopefully getting a job for the evenings...so not too many late night walks. I'm fairly familiar with New York City so I'll take similar precautions as I would there.

I've been looking a lot on craigslist and kijiji for a rooms shared option...is there any other websites anyone knows of?

Thanks botticelli...I've been looking there! It's just a little hard to zero in on certain streets to find available rooms/apartments.

Also, illcosby, the older apartment buildings you speak of...do you have any more info on them? Names, reviews, etc...

Since I want to stay close to Eglinton Ave W, are there certain streets to maybe avoid living on or...?

Thanks again guys! This is really helping me out

Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM

271 posts, read 532,085 times
Try viewit.ca, myhood.ca.

No need to avoid walking around at night. Toronto's very walkable and safe for someone minding his or her own business, day or night. The only parts where walking at night wouldn't be recommended for a single young woman are heavily-residential areas far away from the bulk of the action in Toronto.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americancake View Post
Thank you!

I've been looking a lot on craigslist and kijiji for a rooms shared option...is there any other websites anyone knows of?

Thanks botticelli...I've been looking there! It's just a little hard to zero in on certain streets to find available rooms/apartments.
Another way is to spend an afternoon walking around the neighborhood you are interested in, since you already have a preferred area, ideally during weekdays during office hours. There are usually rental office signs and you can just walk in an office asking for vacancies.

viewit.ca is a good source.
myhood.ca sometimes can be outdated. My friend tries that and 50% of the chance the units are not available any more and information was simply not updated.

It is a bit hard to find rooms shared vacancies though, probably craigslist is your best bet.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
If she's coming for only 6 months, it doesn't make sense to get a full apartment, a shared apartment or room in a house makes the most sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
There are some older apartment buildings on Eglinton between Bathurst and Bayview (East side) and you may be able to get a 1 bedroom to yourself if you increase your budget slightly, otherwise it looks like roommates if you want to stay in this area for under $1000.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americancake View Post
Hello! A little about myself: I'm an American female in my mid to early 20s. I'm going back to school in Toronto this fall (2012) and am currently looking for rooms shared/temporary housing. I'll only be up in Toronto for 2-6 months, so I don't need anything long term.

What are the housing situations like in Toronto? My monthly rent (I'm hoping) will be no more than $1000 for a shared room including utilities but I would ideally love to spend around $600. Since I will be alone for a part of the time as well as relying on my feet or public transit, I'm also concerned about safety. I'm mainly looking to rent along Eglinton Ave W.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

2701 Eglinton Ave W, Toronto, Ontario
a bachelor unit, 1-bathroom, no parking, 1-year lease, asking $795/month
1-bedroom apartment, asking $1090/month
- brand new state of the art kitchens
- beautifully finished bathrooms
- stainless steel appliances including dishwasher
- some suites have a balcony.
- tenant pays hydro
- close proximity to pay parking at $50 per month

2040 Eglinton Avenue West, Toronto, Ontario
a bachelor unit, asking $795/month
1-bedroom apartment, asking $1090/month
- brand new bathrooms and kitchens with stainless steel appliances including dishwasher
- gorgeous ceramic tiles, gleaming hardwood floor and vertical blinds
- outdoor parking is available at $50 per month

Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Thanks so much everybody! I'm loving the input and will be looking into all the places/websites you guys have suggested.

Botticelli- Unfortunelty, I'm still in America. I won't actually be in Toronto until about a week before my classes start.

Thanks again everybody...I'm crossing my fingers I find something decent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto