Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 115,589 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen and moved to USA in November 2011. I am now moving back within the next 2-3 weeks. My time spent in USA is less than 1 year. I am a little confused about the paper work that I need to take care of when bringing my personal goods back into Canada. I have the same or less amount goods when I moved to USA. I am taking them all back. However they will follow me. I will arrive first and my goods will arrive after that. I looked at the B4 form however that does not seem to apply my situation.

I am not using a moving company. I am using a forwarder.

Does anybody know what exactly paper work I need to fill out?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
bsf5087: Moving Back to Canada

Key part..
Before your return to Canada, you should prepare two copies of a list (preferably typewritten) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as part of your personal effects. Include the value, make, model and serial numbers, where applicable.
Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. You should describe each item of jewellery on the list of goods you submit. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.
Divide the list into two sections. In the first section, list the goods you are bringing with you; in the second, list the goods to follow. Goods that arrive later will only qualify for duty- and tax-free importation under your entitlement as a former resident, if they are on your original list.

You should also identify on that list the items that originated from Canada and came with you to the US.

and

Declaring your goods

When you arrive in Canada, even if you have no goods with you at the time of entry, you must give your list of goods to the border services officer at the first point of arrival in Canada . Based on the list of goods you submit, the officer will complete a Form B4 (PDF, 83 KB), Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to it, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.
You can make the process easier by filing out Form B4 as completely as possible, in advance. Form B4 is available by selecting “Publications and forms” on the CBSA Web site or by calling the Border Information Service at one of the telephone numbers listed in the section called “Additional Information.”

Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
I did have movers move my belongings from the U.S. when I moved last fall, and I didn't do anything close to as complicated as what marc3565 describes. I simply had boxes labelled, for example, audio speakers, computer stuff, tv, clothes, jewellry, books, exercise equipment --- and the movers made a list of the boxes with the labels I had provided. That list was presented at the border. My goods came after I had already been here a couple of weeks, so I had to return to a nearby border office in Mississauga and "meet up" with the mover and my belongings in order to get them passed through customs.

I believe that as long as you have been a 'resident' of the U.S. --- and I'm not sure how you would prove that, you can bring your belongings over the border without paying any duty. I don't know how they would expect you to have receipts for everything---I didn't have a single receipt. (I lived in the U.S. for 20 years though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto