Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 PM

12 posts, read 115,907 times

Advertisements

I now live in Virginia and will be moving to Mississauga. I just got a job south of Pearson airport, where Britannia Rd E meets Dixie Road.

I plan to live somewhat close and have a reasonable commute. If Google Map is functioning well then looks like square one to the south or centennial park to the east might be my best choice.

I drive a 1980 Mercedes 300 diesel and my wife drives a 2010 Accord. I heard that car insurance is highway robbery in Toronto. We pay around $800/year in Virginia and might need to pay $5000/year in Toronto. Is that true?

Will it make sense to ditch my diesel car and take a bus so I can cut my car insurance in half? Living on a limited budget here so a couple of thousand go a long way for me. But at the same time I don't know how inconvenient it will be to have just one car in Toronto suburb. Appreciate any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM

325 posts, read 1,036,054 times
Yes insurance costs vs. the states are very high. Research that more but it doesn't sound far off the mark depending on your car/history (the leading "official" reason is that they're high because our minimum coverage requirements are higher than the US). I would never live (or work) in a suburb so I can't comment, but I suspect one car is manageable if your wife doesn't work (or need it). Public transit in the city proper is terrible; I have to assume it's worse in the outer burbs - and make no mistake, mississauga is outer burbs. Keep researching! You can trust google maps for directions, I don't know if I'd trust their time/traffic estimates. I suggest you listen online to some toronto radio stations for traffic reports (CFRB 1010 AM for instance) to hear morning commute details. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:53 PM

271 posts, read 532,085 times
I think the only people who don't own cars in Mississauga are those not yet old enough to drive. You absolutely need one there.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:20 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
I think the only people who don't own cars in Mississauga are those not yet old enough to drive. You absolutely need one there.
The debate is if one is enough or they need two...

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM

271 posts, read 532,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
The debate is if one is enough or they need two...
Assuming the OP and his wife don't drive in the same direction at the same time, together, everywhere, I think I got that one covered, sportsfan.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 AM

12 posts, read 115,907 times
Default In reality I have to buy a new car

I just managed to hook up with someone who works at my new company. He said I will be downright miserable if I take a bus...He also said my old diesel might not work in Toronto's colder winter...sigh...this job offer starts to make no sense.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:29 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfatmajia View Post
I just managed to hook up with someone who works at my new company. He said I will be downright miserable if I take a bus...He also said my old diesel might not work in Toronto's colder winter...sigh...this job offer starts to make no sense.
If you are considering declining the offer, you could go back to those who made the offer.. explain that your research indicates a higher cost of living. Give the numbers on car insurance as an example and ask them to up the offer.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
$5000 is way to high and you can get a quote for about 1/2 or less than that. Contact some local brokers on line or via phone or email.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
I think most of Mississauga's main bus routes have 10 minute headways during rush hour, so if you end up living near the Dixie bus, it seems like the bus commute wouldn't be too bad (15-30min). Square One and Centennial Park are further if you work at Dixie & Britannia, plus you would need a transfer, so those would be more like 40-50min bus commutes. This compares to 10-20 minutes by car for all 3 neighbourhoods.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,054 times
Americans often do underestimate the extreme cost of living in Canada, and given our population and the size of the country, our public transit is nowhere near what many parts of America offer. In my travels of the US, the closest us city I can imagine mississauga being similar to is Orlando Florida (and specifically, the outer burbs of it) - strip malls, chain restaurants, plazas, long streets, residential areas cut off from main spots, etc. I'd really think long and hard about this big job move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto