U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2012, 03:30 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,505 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to US, but I have difficulty finding an US city that has similar culture as Toronto.

- Ethnic diversity
- Embracing multiculturalism
- Urban feel to it (not necessary)

Is there an US city that has all of this? Also, I want to note that I prefer to move to a city that has perfect weather like San Diego. Oh, low crime rate, of course. It would help if the city is clean too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2012, 02:03 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,353,229 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraku View Post
I'm considering moving to US, but I have difficulty finding an US city that has similar culture as Toronto.

- Ethnic diversity
- Embracing multiculturalism
- Urban feel to it (not necessary)

Is there an US city that has all of this? Also, I want to note that I prefer to move to a city that has perfect weather like San Diego. Oh, low crime rate, of course. It would help if the city is clean too.
Plenty of American cities have all these and more. New York, Boston, Los Angeles, all very diverse, multicultural and urban. I don't see you have trouble finding one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA/London, UK
3,635 posts, read 4,393,568 times
Reputation: 2990
Its harder to find a big city that is NOT diverse these days than is. That is the case in both the US and Europe.

A few of these will overlap with Boticelli but fit your criteria:

Fit all 3 criteria:

- NYC
- Boston
- DC
- SF
- LA
- Seattle
- Philly
- Chicago

Fit the first 2 criteria:

- Miami
- SD
- Houston
- Atlanta

I guess SD and SF would be the best bets if you want to check all your boxes. Most importantly though, what do you do for a living? Chances are not all these cities will offer you the same level of employment and career advancement opportunities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,505 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Its harder to find a big city that is NOT diverse these days than is. That is the case in both the US and Europe.

A few of these will overlap with Boticelli but fit your criteria:

Fit all 3 criteria:

- NYC
- Boston
- DC
- SF
- LA
- Seattle
- Philly
- Chicago

Fit the first 2 criteria:

- Miami
- SD
- Houston
- Atlanta

I guess SD and SF would be the best bets if you want to check all your boxes. Most importantly though, what do you do for a living? Chances are not all these cities will offer you the same level of employment and career advancement opportunities.
Thank you Edward. Nice list. I'm still in school for Concept Art. It would be a few years before I can move to US, so I want to plan ahead of time. You can never be too prepared. lol Once I figure out the city that I want to move to, I want to study everything in the city, so it would be easier for me to get around by the time I get there.

I don't mean to generalize, but I am wondering what people are like (their personalities) in the warm cities that you mentioned. Just to let you know that I am not considering living in a cold city, so New York and other cities are out of the list. I want to live in a city that has perfect weather all season around. I also don't like HOT weather like deserts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 3,835,950 times
Reputation: 934
SF is probably your best bet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA/London, UK
3,635 posts, read 4,393,568 times
Reputation: 2990
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraku View Post
Thank you Edward. Nice list. I'm still in school for Concept Art. It would be a few years before I can move to US, so I want to plan ahead of time. You can never be too prepared. lol Once I figure out the city that I want to move to, I want to study everything in the city, so it would be easier for me to get around by the time I get there.

I don't mean to generalize, but I am wondering what people are like (their personalities) in the warm cities that you mentioned. Just to let you know that I am not considering living in a cold city, so New York and other cities are out of the list. I want to live in a city that has perfect weather all season around. I also don't like HOT weather like deserts.
I would agree with Atticman, San Francisco seems to check basically every box on your list. Especially if you want to work in Animation for Video Games, it would be a no brainer. The California cities mentioned (SF, LA and SD) would all fit great for you actually.

As far as people are concerned it really varies. Of the three cities mentioned I have visited them all, but would only feel comfortable commenting in depth on San Francisco as I have spent a significant amount of time there. The people overall are pretty nice, but as with any big city you have a very diverse mix of personalities. Depending on what interests you, I do not see any major issue with finding a group that you would feel comfortable associating with. SF is a great city though, one that I would love to personally live in one day if possible.

Overall though SF is a very different city than Toronto, but has the same diverse, multicultural vibe you would want to replicate if you left home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,505 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I would agree with Atticman, San Francisco seems to check basically every box on your list. Especially if you want to work in Animation for Video Games, it would be a no brainer. The California cities mentioned (SF, LA and SD) would all fit great for you actually.

As far as people are concerned it really varies. Of the three cities mentioned I have visited them all, but would only feel comfortable commenting in depth on San Francisco as I have spent a significant amount of time there. The people overall are pretty nice, but as with any big city you have a very diverse mix of personalities. Depending on what interests you, I do not see any major issue with finding a group that you would feel comfortable associating with. SF is a great city though, one that I would love to personally live in one day if possible.

Overall though SF is a very different city than Toronto, but has the same diverse, multicultural vibe you would want to replicate if you left home.
Thank you and Atticman. I will definitely look into SF, LA and SD. I heard that LA is not very clean, so I'm not sure if it's something I want to live in. I believe it's expensive compared to SF and SD. I also heard that SF tends to get overcrowded. I hope that's not much of an issue. I am interested in fashion and concept art, so I hope to find people who are also into it too. Have you been to Toronto? It's nice to hear that SF is a nice city. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA/London, UK
3,635 posts, read 4,393,568 times
Reputation: 2990
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraku View Post
Thank you and Atticman. I will definitely look into SF, LA and SD. I heard that LA is not very clean, so I'm not sure if it's something I want to live in. I believe it's expensive compared to SF and SD. I also heard that SF tends to get overcrowded. I hope that's not much of an issue. I am interested in fashion and concept art, so I hope to find people who are also into it too. Have you been to Toronto? It's nice to hear that SF is a nice city. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?
LA has its dirty parts and also its pristine beautiful parts. Overall though I would say Toronto is a cleaner city than both LA and SF, but by no means would I refer to either city a severely dirty. I have been to some cities around the world that I wouldn't hesitate to call dirty, LA and SF are not dirty using that standard. SD on the other hand is very clean from what I noticed. I think the main issue as far as cleanliness is concerned is air quality in both LA and SD, but Toronto has its issues in that department as well.

SF is crowded and densely populated as you heard. Personally I find that to be a positive because it is a city that gives you a bustling urban vibe. If you are concerned about it being so crowded you cant even breathe, that would not be an issue. I think the population density in SF is very similar to Toronto if I am not mistaken.

Fashion wise all the three California cities are very fashionable. Great local designers and boutiques. People seem to be well dressed for the most part, with LA obviously being the most fashion conscious of the three. If you want to actually work in the fashion industry though, LA would be the best option and for that matter you may be forced to leave Toronto regardless if that becomes the industry you work in.

I lived in Toronto during two separate phases of my life. I emigrated there from Jamaica during grade school and left mid way though High School. Then returned to finish my MBA @ Rotman later on. I currently live in Boston, MA (Cambridge, MA to be specific) but am in the process of relocating to London in the new year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,353,229 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraku View Post
Thank you and Atticman. I will definitely look into SF, LA and SD. I heard that LA is not very clean, so I'm not sure if it's something I want to live in. I believe it's expensive compared to SF and SD. I also heard that SF tends to get overcrowded. I hope that's not much of an issue. I am interested in fashion and concept art, so I hope to find people who are also into it too. Have you been to Toronto? It's nice to hear that SF is a nice city. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?
I have lived in LA as a student for a few years so I am gonna chip in.

I don't know where you get the idea LA is not clean. I never thought so at least. Maybe people are talking about downtown, but downtown is not spotless in any major city. There are many beautiful and vibrant neighbourhoods, especially on the west side. However, it is a different city from Toronto and San Fran etc in the sense that it doesn't have one single downtown. Instead it has multiple centers. Downtown LA used to be dead after office hours but it is rapidly changing. LA is also very car dependent, but the city is working towards it and their progress is faster than Toronto.

In terms of people, I would say it is very easy to make friends if you have a good personality. People seem to be interested in making new friends and they actually invite you to their parties/events. LA is also extremely multi-cultural, I would say more than Toronto (we don't have many latinos/blacks). It is also very cosmopolitan, but in a different way.

San Fran is expensive/crowded because the city itself is very small. But coming from Toronto, almost nowhere is really expensive in the US (even NYC is cheaper except housing). And if you do work there, you are likely to make 25% more money, so you don't have to worry about financials if you can make a decent living in Toronto, where living cost is so high. LA as a giant city is particularly cheap in almost everything, from housing to food/clothing to car (I mean if you compare with Toronto/Vancouver).

SD is a much small city compared with LA, and it is not as diverse, cosmopolitan or liberal as LA/San Fran, but like you said weather is as good as you can get in the world, and it is very affordable.

I personally would choose LA over San Francisco/San Diego any day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM
 
1,218 posts, read 2,284,426 times
Reputation: 1343
Unfortunately LA still has a bad rap with congestion, smog and gang violence that is hard to shake for many but I think the city is underrated. I've been there many times (mostly for work but was able to extend my visits for play 3 times) and although I was very neutral at first, I've grown to really enjoy the city to the point where I would might prefer it to SF. It feels just as or in some ways even more diverse than Toronto as Toronto's visible minorities are mainly Asian or Carribbean in origin. LA seems to have lots of Asian, Black, Latino, Persians, plus more expats from around the world. People seem very social, know how to have fun, and there are so many worlds you can fit into (corporate, beach bum, ethnic enclave, hollywood, outdoorsy, etc.). So I don't think one should feel any issues from that perspective.

The biggest drawback is the driving. If you are used to walking and taking the subway, this will require an adjustment. The city is working on this issue big time but it will never be like a northern city in this regard. I still feel like a lonely, homeless person if I choose to walk 10min to the closest convenience store. I still find the city urban but in a different kind of way, however. The other issue is the broader financial situation of the state, I would only speculate this would translate to higher taxes and hence cost of living (not that it's low there but yes, salaries are higher) to get their books in order.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top