U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 AM

175 posts, read 1,565,039 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Toronto next summer. My only concern is whether I will be able to find a decent job there once I land. From what I know, it could be pretty tough because the Canadian employers don't recognize work experience elsewhere. I am Asian by the way, not an American, but I got my Master's degree in the US, and had successfully completed the CFA exams (if that matters). Of course English won't be a problem for me, as my previous and current bosses are all Americans, and my English should be considered fluent (not native level though).

I had the experience of working in L.A for 6 months however, without a permanent resident status, there were quite limited good opportunites for me. So, guys who had moved to Toronto from anothe country, how is the job market nowadays? I have heard quite different stories, like PhDs driving taxis etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 AM

9 posts, read 81,603 times
move to alberta....you have to be have to be dumb to not get a job market is only going up.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,418,683 times
Alberta defintely has the hottest job market right now ....as for immigrants with Phd's driving taxis ....that is when they have degrees from some countries that aren't recognized by Canada .....if you got your Masters degree from a US College then that will not be a problem ...

Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 AM

Thanks millions, guys. I am kind of relieved. I am hesitating between Toronto and Calgary. Calgary seems to have the most jobs, however, if most are oil or engineer related, it doesn't work for me. I have been working in the finance/business field though. Toronto seems to be the way to go, however, the city seems to be over-crowded and competition is fierce because everybody goes there.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 17,110 times
Dude, if you have a US degree and a CFA , you shouldn't have major issues finding a job. The Asian population in Toronto is massive and there is no shortage working in finance. Things like PhD's driving taxis sound like hyperbole, but it is difficult for people from less industrialized countries to get equivalent jobs. Also, the market for finance jobs is very competitive but given that you have a CFA (very important here) and presumably some relevant experience, you should be okay.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-27-2007 at 07:19 PM..

Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 PM

16,242 posts, read 23,382,782 times
A degree from the USA is as good as any from Canada and vice versa. Most professional certifications are recognized by both countries as well (for example if you are a doctor in the USA, you can sit for the license exam in Canada).

Old 10-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Thank you very much, guys. You have really given me a lot of confidence.
I have worked in the US for half a year, but eventually come back because it is frustrating to look for jobs while you don't have a greencard. Many companies just don't want to hire you. Now that i have got the maple card, it guess things will be different.
In my city, property price is USD2000-2500 per square meter in nicer locations while average income is about $300. Clothes and other stuff are about the same price as in the US, only food is cheaper.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 13,564 times
Hello, I am also moving to Toronto from Copenhagen-Denmark. I am a software engineer and have been working here in Novo Nordisk IT (in copenhagen) for more then 3 years now. I have a masters degree in Computer Science but it is from Pakistan. I am also quiet worried if I will be able to find a job or not? Do you think my degree would be a problem?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:45 PM

454 posts, read 719,005 times
Make sure you get a job first before you move.

evanusc: Have you tried the banks? RBC,Scotiabank, TD, CIBC, BMO? Their application ends in end of September, so you might want to start sending your your resume now. There are also American banks and finance firms with branches in Canada you might want to try those also.

The pay would be a little lower, unless you are lucky to get a hedge fund or some of the boutique investment firms. The banks can be a spring board to get your feet into the water.

Fire01: I am not sure about about software engineering jobs, but you can check this website

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Search_...=10&Student=No

Good luck

NOTE: minibrings I did not check the date

Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,875,025 times
dm: this is an old thread that was resuscitated; evan has not posted since 2007...
fire: it would depend on ur specialty, the economy in ontario is not healthy at the moment, best to find recruiters and send them a note..
workopolis.ca, monster.ca ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto