Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM

325 posts, read 1,036,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Not necessarily but, by some of his comments one has to wonder if he has ever had a JOB or contributes anything to the household, finances or chores.

"Sweet. $400/month means I'll need to work 39 hours per month at minimum wage, which translates to about 10 hours per week. That's actually not too demanding; I was afraid having a job would affect my education."

Where does he plan on getting money for the other life necessities?
I have to agree that it sounds like he's never had a real job at all - if he's not paid in cash, he should be aware of the difference between gross and net pay. Sure you might get a refund in March, but you can starve in February...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
He mentions he is a Ryerson student. Probably around 20.

Do Canadian parents really kick their college attending children out toward independence? If they are out of school, I can understand the rationale, but not before that.
No, not particularly, any more than American parents.

There's something more going on here. Some parents have different expectations than others. Do you belong to an ethnic group? Are there unusual family dynamics there?

To the OP, you need to talk to your father and mother. Are they supporting you completely, or do you have a student loan? As tough as it is, sounds like you'll need to apply for a loan if you don't have one.

Have you really never worked before? Did your parents promise to support you through university? If so, what is it that's changed? Are they suffering financial hardship? Do you help around the house, or do you expect them to wait on you? All of these things can cause friction.

You need to sort things out and look for other forms of income. You might even have to drop out of school for a year to save up money. This would be a last resort, but Toronto is an expensive city, and it's tough to work at a low-wage job for enough hours to support yourself, *and* go to school full-time.

Good luck with this. Hoping you can sort out your differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto