Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times

Advertisements

Since July of this year, the U of T has a new "water conservation program " that applies to all of their over 300 buildings. One of the measures is to shut off the flush mechanisim on the men's urinals, so that they only flush ONCE a day.

As any sensible person would have predicted......the urinals stink, and no amount of "urinal pucks " is going to combat the smell.

As we all know, a University is a place where "innovation and forward thinking " are so very important.

So, in the interest of "fairness and gender equality " I propose the following idea.

Lets shut off the flush feature on the female toilets, too. And only flush them ONCE a day, too.

Can you imagine the complaints ?

Care to comment of this lunacy ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Couldnt they just put a timer on the things that let them flush once an hour if some one trips a sensor, if no one trips the sensor it defaults to one flush a day
Shutting them all off for a day seems a bit draconian..

Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Jambo.

That was suggested. but the COST of installing timers was deemed "too costly ".

My point was simple.............IF the females were faced with a major smell, and inconvenience, the up roar would have been heard in Hamilton. BUT because the women are the driving force behind this "economy measure " as in most of the dumb things that a University does....... It will only affect the male segment of the population, of the University.

The lunacy is obvious, as the women don't have a unrinal, so shutting off the flush to the urinals means nothing to them. BUT if their toilets were ONLY flushed ONCE a day, they would be outraged, and appalled .

Talk about a double standard .

And , in a country with as much water as Canada has, this is a real dumb move.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Toronto's not located in some desert, I don't really get why such an extreme measure would be necessary...

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM

218 posts, read 509,962 times
What not to understand here? It's obviously not about water, it's about control. Government needs weak men in the country so they won't ever pose a threat to the order. This is being propagated through multiple absurd policies asserting dominance by "teaching a lesson". Just study history how all totalitarian crap starts.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,383 times
Typical Canadian type of measures and attitudes - getting cheap by all means possible, and forgetting the whole picture and the drawbacks of such solutions.

And all these municipalities in Ontario are skinning us to death. Here in Waterloo where I live, you pay $3 per cubic meter of water delivered + wasted. While a cubic meter of natural gas is about 10 cents. Can you actually believe that? Water to be way more expensive than a rather limited resource, the natural gas? Abnormal, like any other thing here in Canada.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
They need to install the special low water use urinals, or the waterless urinals... not just shut off the water to regular urinals. The smell will be alarming after just a few hours of use.

Good point about the sexism of this policy. U of T students should protest this measure.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Tarp'

You got my point, about how this is a blatant example of "lets do this, the men won't object, much ".

As you said, there are some alternatives, but the powers that be at the U of T have refused to spend ANY money on them. So much cheaper to simply turn off the water to the men's urinals.

And, yes, the stench at my Wife's U of T building is rolling down the halls.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
I can't find anything online about this. Is it real? Got a link?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Katzpaw;

Yes its real, but there is no official published program, just a bunch of greens trying to do something that wasn`t very well thought out.

Yesterday, at a faculty social event, my Wife spoke to the woman in charge of space allocation, who is in charge of saying who gets what office space, and she was un-aware of this idiotic practice. Her reaction was ```` Does the Dean know about this.

I think this un-official program may be about to end .......

I think that it could be shut down, as a health and safety issue. Unsanitary, and just plain dumb.

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto