Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

From the TOS

Quote:
All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Quote:
Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
From the TOS

I think half the folks in the Politics forum aren't aware of these rules....

Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I had something to say, jambo. That's why I posted.

If cc had some class, and asked his question in a way that wasn't insulting to our neighbours, I wouldn't think it was stupid. If he had more than 4 things to say, including the OP, that were constructive in any way, I wouldn't think it was stupid. If it wasn't a trolling question with no other purpose then to start a **** storm, I wouldn't think it was stupid. It's especially stupid, because it most certainly, above all else, was NOT the appropriate time to start criticizing them. "Oh, someone killed your baby? Yesterday?!?!? Well, let me tell you how this is your fault."

The topic can and should be discussed. Canadians are impacted by nearly everything that happens in America. However, it's not our buisness to be telling them what to do. We can give them ideas, if they want them, but we shouldn't paint their whole population with the same broad brush, like canadian citizen does. We don't like it when they do it to us, why are they any different?

He almost can't stop himself from bashing Americans, and I'll be damned if I'm to just sit back and let him put the idea in their minds that he represents the typical "canadian citizen", nor the opinion of the typical Canadian soldier.
I'm not familiar with "canadian citizen" and that he is anti American. i really think he could have been a bit more tactful in his topic title but if he hates America and Americans i guess his dislike of the country is amply expressed in said topic title..
I try not to paint an entire country/society on the actions of a few.although sometimes i slip over to that illogical darkside

Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
From the TOS
Quote:
Quote:
Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.
That rule certainly isnt being upheld in the Politics and controversies section as hate and bashing seems to be the order of the day every day....

Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I think half the folks in the Politics forum aren't aware of these rules....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That rule certainly isnt being upheld in the Politics and controversies section as hate and bashing seems to be the order of the day every day....
The P&oC section is a complete mess, they are making a Current Events section that should calm things down a bit.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The P&oC section is a complete mess, they are making a Current Events section that should calm things down a bit.
Problem is those same people screwing up the P&C section will just turn everything in the Current Events section into a political pissing match, for them its an outright obsessive compulsive disorder,they seem to thrive on trashing other demographics that have differing viewpoints to their own, must call them/those/the others derogatory names and above all, must hate them

Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Problem is those same people screwing up the P&C section will just turn everything in the Current Events section into a political pissing match, for them its an outright obsessive compulsive disorder,they seem to thrive on trashing other demographics that have differing viewpoints to their own, must call them/those/the others derogatory names and above all, must hate them
Yeah, but on the Canadian forums I think many are too sensitive. It discourages lively discussion.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
He said that the 2nd Amendment only applied to muskets and is no longer relevant today. In other words, the 2nd Amendment is not relevant today.

I have already stated here that the petition is a waste of time. However I defended both Morgan's right to say it as well as the petitioner's right to express their disapproval of what he said.

I was saying that when a Brit says such things, moreso than an American, any idiot ought to realize that would stir up more anger.

Actually, you're lacking in knowledge of the origins of the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution here. The fact is the Constitution does not say what the government can do, but instead outlines it's limitations. The Bill of Rights are the amendments added that outline the specific rights of the people. They weren't in the original Constitution. The first amendments weren't amendments in the sense you are using.

Yeah, you are so right.........it was our intrusions that allowed the French and British to keep speaking their languages instead of German. By the way........I know you don't appreciate this fact but you in Canada benefit greatly from America's blanket of protection as well.

Not thin skinned at all......... I was told that I was mentioning not owning a firearm because that somehow made my case more cogent. I simply pointed out that the reason I said that was because I was accused of being a "gun freak". If you review my posts on the topic, I clearly stated that I personally have no use for guns and haven't touched one since the day I left Vietnam. Do I sound like a "gun freak" to you or just someone who respects the Constitution as it was written? If you can't differentiate between the two, that's your problem, not mine.
1/ What he said was an opinion about it's relevance and NOT a call for the striking down of it!

2/ You have stated that the petition calling for his deportation is of the same nature as an opinion...well, maybe not?

3/ Only idiots would defend Peirs Morgans right to freedom of speach.???? Special anger is reserved for criticism of Americans by Brits....or, for anyone other than Americans?

4/Have never professed to be an expert on American constitutional issues but having a living document that cannot be amended would seem to be contrary to democratic principals. JMHO, however.

5/ Now, that's the stuff we're used to hearing that has resulted in my "thin skin". Firstly you guys sat out nearly the first two years of that war with it "not being your war". The battle of Britain was OVER and won by the time you entered. Invasion of Great Britain had already been discarded as impossible by the Germans without air superiority over Britain. France was another matter but you folks didn't win the war in Europe all by yourselves as Hollywood would have us all believe. Whole countries over there were liberated without your involvement at all. You were certainly THE major contributor but it was a team effort. Other countries per-capita contributions were greater and from a VOLUNTEER force NOT DRAFTEES!!!

Now; as to your statement about us not appreciating your umbrella of protection. That would have been from which country that was a declared enemy of Canada's? Which one of those evil empires out there has released virulent Flu bacteria into one of our major city's in the 50's to test it's efficacy without informing us? NO OTHER nation has ever done that crap to us, so who have you been protecting us from? I bet I know the answer: you've been protecting yourselves as any invasion of Canada would have happend as a secondary objective to get to you folks down there! Don't give me any of that crap you've been protecting us from the goodness of your hearts.

YOU MADE THE ENEMIES you profess to have been providing us an umbrella of protection from.

All right you're not a gun freak. Case closed.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
Can't believe this thread is still going. The politics forum has invaded the Toronto forum. A sad day for City Data indeed.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 PM

391 posts, read 840,902 times
Hmmm. Well Phoenix still has direct flights to and from Canada, some even drive down here. We call them snow birds because they come for our nice winter weather. The shooting on the opposite side of the nation doesn't effect their views of visiting their winter home. Just sayin.

btw. Arizona is a gun happy states. There are some people here that own ak47s and ar15s. Eek hell someone in California turned in a tank busting rocket launcher. You don't see me hiding in my closet. Not that that would help any against a rocket launcher. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto