U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 AM

10,847 posts, read 13,473,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Good old Botticelli with his useless Toronto hatred. I haven't been on this forum long, and I've already grown tired of it. He had a long argument with me about Chicago. My native city! Pretty sure anyone that thinks LA is a livelier city than Toronto can safely be considered a troll.

LA is more diverse than Toronto? Ahaha that's gotta be a first...
funny, anyone who thinks LA is livelier than Toronto must be a troll? What kind tyranny logic is that? I have lived in both cities, and I truly believe and felt that LA is more lively in Toronto, and if I am not mistaken, a couple of other members hold similar views.

Why is "LA more diverse than Toronto" so funny to you?

According to the 2010 Census, the racial makeup of Los Angeles included: 1,888,158 Whites (49.8%), 365,118 African Americans (9.6%), 28,215 Native Americans (0.7%), 426,959 Asians (11.3%), 5,577 Pacific Islanders (0.1%), 902,959 from other races (23.8%), and 175,635 (4.6%) from two or more races.

47 per cent of Toronto's population (1,162,635 people) reported themselves as being part of a non-white minority. the top five minority groups in Toronto were:
South Asian at 298,372 or 12.0%;
Chinese at 283,075 or 11.4%;
Black at 208,555 or 8.4%;
Filipino at 102,555 or 4.1%;
Latin American at 64,860 or 2.6%.
City of Toronto: Toronto Facts, Toronto's racial diversity

In effect, LA has about 50% white, Toronto has 53%;
Toronto's non-white population is predominantly Asian to the extend that Chinese population is higher than the entire Asian population in LA, with low south Americans and fewer black people, while LA seems more evenly spread-out.

In terms of languages, Los Angeles is home to people from more than 140 countries speaking 224 different identified languages. In Toronto, "over 140 languages and dialects are spoken here".
City of Toronto: Toronto Facts, Toronto's racial diversity

I don't know why you take my argument has hatred. I always claimed Toronto is one of the best cities to live with a good lifestyle in North America. However, it just doesn't stack up against Los Angeles in terms of diversity and liveliness in my view.

If you look closely, all my so called "anti-Toronto" arguments appear only when we are pretending to be superior or comparable to America's big 3. I just don't think we are there yet, not even Chicago or LA as an all-around city. I never had any issue with Toronto vs. Boston/San Fran/DC/Philly/Miami posts because those are truly comparable cities. America's top 3 are simply too wealthy and powerful. Toronto is not up for that kind of game yet, and hopefully we will be in 20 years.

Happy New Year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM

4,366 posts, read 10,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Nothing but traffic? since when it is Toronto's position to mock at traffic elsewhere?
Yup !

Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,438,824 times
Quote:
Good old Botticelli with his useless Toronto hatred. I haven't been on this forum long, and I've already grown tired of it. He had a long argument with me about Chicago. My native city! Pretty sure anyone that thinks LA is a livelier city than Toronto can safely be considered a troll.

I just read through this thread, what did botticelli say here that you would construe as hatred? Seriously, I really don't get your logic whereby someone with a different opinion than you is a troll. Everyone is free to post their opinions even if you disagree. Most posters here are actually pretty smart, but some just talk blah without any knowledge.

If you spend any meaningful time in LA (and doesn't sound like you have), you will quickly notice that the composition may be different but the city is just as "diverse" as Toronto. And as was pointed out with data earlier, perhaps even more so.

And how is it written in stone that LA is more lively than Toronto? Cities that have hot weather, beaches, work-to-live attitudes, trend setting reputation & renowned clubs, access to the outdoors, famous/good looking/well-to-do crowds, and fashion-driven circles like LA or Miami are typically quite "lively" places. Maybe these towns are not your cup of your tea (or you haven't really experienced them) but how can you look someone in the eye and say the scene in Toronto is unequivocally better than LA? I think both are lively cities but what is the basis of your "undebatable" conclusion?

Last edited by johnathanc; 01-02-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,111,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
I know exactly what I'm talking about. I lived in LA for 3 years. Get over it.

Three years, lol.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
I know exactly what I'm talking about. I lived in LA for 3 years. Get over it.
Well he is right according the population LA is at no. 1 place dear so it is more congested dear friend.

movingintoronto.net

Old 12-08-2013, 05:55 PM

7,376 posts, read 7,121,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You have no idea of what you are talking about.

LA is no more congested and polluted than Toronto is. Did you know Torontonians spend more time commuting than Los Angelenos?

LA has the Pacific ocean, the mountains, tons of great restaurants and bars, art and outdoor activities. It is incredibly diverse, more so than Toronto has well. Shopping scene is far better and even DTLA is dramatically improved. Yes, there are bad neighbourhoods, but it is not like you can do anything fun in the safe but boring neighourhoods such as Leaside or Lawrence Park.

It is true there is some "ostentatious display of wealth", but all rich cities are like that, New York, London, you name it. On the other hand there are more regular people, families and students living regular life and I am not sure how wealth display by some people affect your quality of life. It is not like your hang out in Beverly Hills or bel Air every day.

Nothing but traffic? since when it is Toronto's position to mock at traffic elsewhere?

+1

I have to agree with botticelli on this. LA is a great city. Anyone that says LA is an ugly city really needs to get their eyes checked. LA is a beautiful city with great weather. The palm trees, the mountains and hills, the beach.......Its really hard to beat that.

Quote:

LA is more diverse and livilier than Toronto. Even Montreal is livelier than Toronto.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 PM
pdw

1,901 posts, read 2,445,305 times
Toronto has always been a fairly conservative place. This has only changed since maybe the late 70s. I don't think cities should be solely evaluated from the perspective of young, single people. The main demographic will always be families, and Toronto is a great place to raise a family.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM

265 posts, read 749,496 times
These diversity arguments are making me rip my hair out. TO or LA will only be more diverse than the other when you can empirically demonstrate that one ethnic or linguistic group that is present in one city is simply NOT present in the other. Good luck with that.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,040,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Toronto has always been a fairly conservative place. This has only changed since maybe the late 70s
More like the mid 60s when Toronto (Yorkville) became one of the hippie meccas of North America along with SF (Haight-Ashbury) and NYC (Greenwich Village). Most cities were fairly conservative places before the 60s.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,040,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LA is more diverse and livilier than Toronto. Even Montreal is livelier than Toronto.
I think Toronto more than holds its own against those two cities as far as liveliness is concerned, and Toronto is at least just as diverse as LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto