Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 13,673 times

Advertisements

Ok. I admit it, I was a fan of Toronto for the last 10 years until I moved to Halifax 5 months ago. I realize that TO was harsh comparing to Halifax, less friendly

Yes, I missed great restaurants and malls in TO. I am finishing my program in 2014 at Dalhousie university and can't wait to go back where the fun is, of course its LA

Does anyone has any experience or opinion?

Happy new year to all of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM

701 posts, read 1,028,935 times
If you mean Los Angeles, I think you'll find it less fun than Toronto. Unless you can afford to hide in one of the wealthy enclaves on the west side, it's ugly, polluted, and nothing but traffic. And you're constantly bombarded by ostentatious wealth (that you don't (and they don't actually either - usually it's all on credit) have).

The song "Do you know the way to San José" is very relevant, even today.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,625,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
If you mean Los Angeles, I think you'll find it less fun than Toronto. Unless you can afford to hide in one of the wealthy enclaves on the west side, it's ugly, polluted, and nothing but traffic. And you're constantly bombarded by ostentatious wealth (that you don't (and they don't actually either - usually it's all on credit) have).
You have no idea of what you are talking about.

LA is no more congested and polluted than Toronto is. Did you know Torontonians spend more time commuting than Los Angelenos?

LA has the Pacific ocean, the mountains, tons of great restaurants and bars, art and outdoor activities. It is incredibly diverse, more so than Toronto has well. Shopping scene is far better and even DTLA is dramatically improved. Yes, there are bad neighbourhoods, but it is not like you can do anything fun in the safe but boring neighourhoods such as Leaside or Lawrence Park.

It is true there is some "ostentatious display of wealth", but all rich cities are like that, New York, London, you name it. On the other hand there are more regular people, families and students living regular life and I am not sure how wealth display by some people affect your quality of life. It is not like your hang out in Beverly Hills or bel Air every day.

Nothing but traffic? since when it is Toronto's position to mock at traffic elsewhere?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You have no idea of what you are talking about.

LA is no more congested and polluted than Toronto is. Did you know Torontonians spend more time commuting than Los Angelenos?

LA has the Pacific ocean, the mountains, tons of great restaurants and bars, art and outdoor activities. It is incredibly diverse, more so than Toronto has well. Shopping scene is far better and even DTLA is dramatically improved. Yes, there are bad neighbourhoods, but it is not like you can do anything fun in the safe but boring neighourhoods such as Leaside or Lawrence Park.

It is true there is some "ostentatious display of wealth", but all rich cities are like that, New York, London, you name it. On the other hand there are more regular people, families and students living regular life and I am not sure how wealth display by some people affect your quality of life. It is not like your hang out in Beverly Hills or bel Air every day.

Nothing but traffic? since when it is Toronto's position to mock at traffic elsewhere?
I know exactly what I'm talking about. I lived in LA for 3 years. Get over it.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 AM

11,233 posts, read 16,341,237 times
Quote:

He's right about the pollution and traffic though. In 2004, a study of average nitrogen dioxide levels over a 10 year period of 27 cities worldwide, put Toronto 4th, only being exceeded by LA, Hong Kong, and New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter65 View Post
Happy new year to all of you

Happy new year to you too? lol

If that's supposed to represent a high five, or a wave or something of course.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,673 times
Thanks guys

Frankly speaking I have been to LA for 2 years, San Fransisco 9 months and in my opinion both LA/SF are great places. As I said I'm a fan of TO so I can't post my opinion

Back to the topic is it well known that people of Maritime are very friendly, boy they are amazing

Cheers,

Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I happened to have lived there for more than that. Near USC and then on the westside. Visted multiple times since I left. There is always something new you can find there.

If all you see is traffic and pollution, I am only sorry that you have missed the great opportunity to live in such a lively city. LA is often mentioned for these only because it is a much more prominent city than Toronto, not because things are worse.

To say LA has nothing but traffic and pollution is like saying Toronto has nothing but winter and Asians. Both are stupid stereotyped description from those who didn't have a good time and then always hold some grudge against those cities.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:55 AM

218 posts, read 373,884 times
Good old Botticelli with his useless Toronto hatred. I haven't been on this forum long, and I've already grown tired of it. He had a long argument with me about Chicago. My native city! Pretty sure anyone that thinks LA is a livelier city than Toronto can safely be considered a troll.

LA is more diverse than Toronto? Ahaha that's gotta be a first...

Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
To say LA has nothing but traffic and pollution is like saying Toronto has nothing but winter and Asians. Both are stupid stereotyped description from those who didn't have a good time and then always hold some grudge against those cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Good old Botticelli with his useless Toronto hatred. I haven't been on this forum long, and I've already grown tired of it. He had a long argument with me about Chicago. My native city! Pretty sure anyone that thinks LA is a livelier city than Toronto can safely be considered a troll.

LA is more diverse than Toronto? Ahaha that's gotta be a first...
Gotta love how Botticelli compares traffic and pollution to "Asians". Racism is alive and well.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Gotta love how Botticelli compares traffic and pollution to "Asians". Racism is alive and well.
it is about stereotyping, not racism. You are being overly sensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto