U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,707,863 times

Advertisements

Hi there Im originally from Vancouver, but I now live in Florida and will be coming to TO in 2013. I have been doing research this past 2 weeks, but need some info. I can afford all areas condo wise in GTA, however. I dont know If Im willing to Pay the outrageous downtown prices. Im 33 and looking at 3 areas. TO, Sauga and Etobicoke.

I know this also depends on where one works. But I know what TO and Mississauga is like but I don't know much about ETO. Can someone please explain the differences? is ETO cool for a 33 year old guy? clean,nice, safe? etc. Do the residents in ETO drive to DT for nightlife and entertainment? how is the islington area is it nice?

How are the areas compared to vancouver anything comparable? I mean what are they analogous to?

I can afford anywhere, but hesitant about paying top dollar for DT toronto, see I cant tell if it's worth it or not. I like nightlife but not that much only a little, is ETO comparable? can't you just drive in when you need to do something fun?

Can someone fill me in? so I can do the appropriate planning? DT toronto looks rougher than I thought as per the street view on google so Im thinking maybe a suburb is better?

How is Mississauga for a 33 year old guy? too suburban do allot of TO people live there and drive in for fun? Im not the settling down type.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM

218 posts, read 485,949 times
Man, I remember you from that [domain blocked due to spam] thread, it doesn't seem you'd like it there much, though I can be wrong.

Toronto Sucks - YouTube

Canada is not a place to be overall, but I guess you have your own good reasons if you plan to move there for real.

Take care!

Last edited by TheTourist; 01-03-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 04:31 PM

377 posts, read 1,643,259 times
Etobicoke is ok. There are some good parts, and it's central - but much of it is run down (ie Mimico, Long Branch and near Martin Grove). A comparable Vancouver area might be North Burnaby near Lougheed Mall.

Mississauga is better IMO - Port Credit especially is one of my favourite areas in the GTA. Lots of greenspace, near the lake, lots of great shops and restaurants within walking distance. A comparable Vancouver area would probably be Port Moody or a nicer New Westminster. There are plenty of apartments near Square One and the City Centre - but this area is a bit more sterile. Comparable area would be Metrotown area of Burnaby.

That said, I recall reading some of your posts in a Vancouver thread about how nasty the people were. If you think people in Van are nasty - it's much worse here.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
That said, I recall reading some of your posts in a Vancouver thread about how nasty the people were. If you think people in Van are nasty - it's much worse here.
Now that I don't buy for a second.Not that I think TO is a paradise,I have talked to more Torontonians over the years that ***** more about Van than vice versa.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM

377 posts, read 1,643,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Now that I don't buy for a second.Not that I think TO is a paradise,I have talked to more Torontonians over the years that ***** more about Van than vice versa.
Well I've lived in both, and I prefer Vancouver people by a huge margin. So buyer beware.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM

181 posts, read 484,087 times
I hate to spoil it for you, but most of Toronto is quite ugly. Unlike American cities, Toronto does not put much effort into the aesthetics of the city.

Mississauga is very dull to me. Mostly because I lived there and I'm used to it. But I find Etobicoke a little more exciting to me. Depending on what part of Etobicoke you live in, it can have easy access to downtown. Avoid North Etobicoke altogether though.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I hate to spoil it for you, but most of Toronto is quite ugly. Unlike American cities, Toronto does not put much effort into the aesthetics of the city.

Mississauga is very dull to me. Mostly because I lived there and I'm used to it. But I find Etobicoke a little more exciting to me. Depending on what part of Etobicoke you live in, it can have easy access to downtown. Avoid North Etobicoke altogether though.
Why do you avoid North Etobicoke? how is TO compared to Calgary overall? I have only lived in BC Vancouver and Victoria.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,439,216 times
LOL...If that's really you in that video, I'd skip out on Miss. It's too far, too suburban, and not a place for a single 33 year old, sociable guy. I'm no ETO expert but it's at least closer to the city if you had to pick between the two but I would still recommend you find a place even closer in the city. As for your DT TO experiences, you probably spent time around the Entertainment District (King W, Queen, Adelaide). IMO, this area is frequented mainly by people from outside of DT TO that live with their parents and other lame types that bring wannabe, attitudes with them. It may be ok if you are in your early 20s but I wouldn't recommend paying a premium for an overpriced shoebox in this DT core area. The more laid back, neighborhoody, local crowds are where you want to be. You need to check out spots even further down Queen W, Dundas W and Roncesvalles. Prices around these areas should be less than the DT Core as well.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
LOL...If that's really you in that video, I'd skip out on Miss. It's too far, too suburban, and not a place for a single 33 year old, sociable guy. I'm no ETO expert but it's at least closer to the city if you had to pick between the two but I would still recommend you find a place even closer in the city. As for your DT TO experiences, you probably spent time around the Entertainment District (King W, Queen, Adelaide). IMO, this area is frequented mainly by people from outside of DT TO that live with their parents and other lame types that bring wannabe, attitudes with them. It may be ok if you are in your early 20s but I wouldn't recommend paying a premium for an overpriced shoebox in this DT core area. The more laid back, neighborhoody, local crowds are where you want to be. You need to check out spots even further down Queen W, Dundas W and Roncesvalles. Prices around these areas should be less than the DT Core as well.
No that's not me in the video, that's some semi famous PUA guy called Roosh. That poster was just recognized my handle by me complaining about vancouver somewhere else

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post

But Im really that sociable, if that's the case would mississauga be just fine?, how is TO compared to Calgary? I have been to both but only years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto