Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times

Advertisements

I have heard mixed reviews about scarborough, is it nice? what's the real deal? some say it's nice some say it's ghetto ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
Here's the deal with Scarborough as I understand it: down south near the beaches is nice and very family-oriented, the middle (most of Scarborough) can get pretty rough or ghetto if you want to call it that, and the northern part is basically all Asian.

Again, I have no idea why a 33 year old single dude coming up from Florida would even consider moving to a suburb like Scarborough or Markham or Mississauga as mentioned in your previous posts? Suburban life is going to be a very boring life for you as nearly all nightlife and activities are in the city. And it will be a long commute if you end up working downtown and an unbearable commute if you end up working on the opposite side of town.

For you, consider living along the subway line out west around High Park or Runnymede. It relatively close to but not right in the DT core. IMO, I prefer neighborhoods outstide the core as they feel less cold and more neighborhoody. And if you are going to give up hot weather and beaches, then at least be close to what TO has to offer (i.e. city life).

Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Here's the deal with Scarborough as I understand it: down south near the beaches is nice and very family-oriented, the middle (most of Scarborough) can get pretty rough or ghetto if you want to call it that, and the northern part is basically all Asian.

Again, I have no idea why a 33 year old single dude coming up from Florida would even consider moving to a suburb like Scarborough or Markham or Mississauga as mentioned in your previous posts? Suburban life is going to be a very boring life for you as nearly all nightlife and activities are in the city. And it will be a long commute if you end up working downtown and an unbearable commute if you end up working on the opposite side of town.

For you, consider living along the subway line out west around High Park or Runnymede. It is close to the city but not in the core. IMO, I prefer neighborhoods outstide the core as they feel less cold and more neighborhoody. And if you are going to give up hot weather and beaches, then at least be close to what TO has to offer (i.e. city life).
Im originally from BC Im trapped in a part of Florida I don't want to be, Im in the Jacksonville suburbs around it and good god does it suck. Im trying to move or to go to a different state but nothing is working out, the economy is not doing well to me around here, and it's getting worse here in the US. what do you mean by the other side of town?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,357 times
He means the other side of Toronto, like not Brampton but even say Dufferin and Bloor or Liberty Village.

Basically, he's saying if you hate us suburbs, you'll HATE Cdn suburbs.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
He means the other side of Toronto, like not Brampton but even say Dufferin and Bloor or Liberty Village.

Basically, he's saying if you hate us suburbs, you'll HATE Cdn suburbs.
Im from Vancouver, moved to California then Florida, the US economy is getting scary, its not getting fixed it's not Improving and 2013 will bad- 2014 will be terrible. We have almost 48 million on food stamps here and it's growing daily. People cant even get a job at wendy's anymore.

Im also stuck in nowhere town Florida

is etobocke close enough? downtown prices Im not really willing to pay for and on top of that, I notice for condo ownership parking spaces cost a fortune. It doesnt seem worth it to me,.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
I agree with Janathanac.

Scarborough is simply boring. Unless you are Chinese in which case living in north scarborough gives you access to all the great Chinese food.

As a single person, try all means to live closer to the core: east of High Park, South of Eglington and west of Bayview. They are not all expensive.

Etobicoke is another boring suburb except the demographics are different. Don't live in a "family friendly" hood. That terms usually means boring.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree with Janathanac.

Scarborough is simply boring. Unless you are Chinese in which case living in north scarborough gives you access to all the great Chinese food.

As a single person, try all means to live closer to the core: east of High Park, South of Eglington and west of Bayview. They are not all expensive.

Etobicoke is another boring suburb except the demographics are different. Don't live in a "family friendly" hood. That terms usually means boring.
But what is ETO like in general? I dont go out much these days, I only like nightlife once in a while.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM

Well that's a tough question - it's basically a suburb of toronto. Nice houses, big streets, 1950s leave it to beaver houses, long commute to the city, local bars, nobody who comes to Toronto is dying to visit Etobicoke, but it's a nice enough part of town. I think I'd rather live in a shoebox at yonge and bloor than live in a house in etobicoke at 33 and single but if you're determined to be the single guy on the block full of young families, its not bad and better than 'sauga.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
Well that's a tough question - it's basically a suburb of toronto. Nice houses, big streets, 1950s leave it to beaver houses, long commute to the city, local bars, nobody who comes to Toronto is dying to visit Etobicoke, but it's a nice enough part of town. I think I'd rather live in a shoebox at yonge and bloor than live in a house in etobicoke at 33 and single but if you're determined to be the single guy on the block full of young families, its not bad and better than 'sauga.

Do the gyms have parking in TO? or are they all street level,it seems allot of TO people don't have cars to me, and is parking generally that expensive in TO ? seems to be the case with condo buyers

Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM

You seem very concerned about paying for parking. Yes, in downtown you will pay for parking - either at the meter or as part of your condo fees. But you aren't including paying for commuting costs on the other side of the equation either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto