Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Most people would say that Toronto's skyline is currently among the top ten skylines on the planet, and it's going to be a heck of a LOT bigger in the next 5-10 years. I can see it at least being on par with Chicago in the not too distant future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Most people would say that Toronto's skyline is currently among the top ten skylines on the planet, and it's going to be a heck of a LOT bigger in the next 5-10 years. I can see it at least being on par with Chicago in the not too distant future.
Interesting, may not be so cut and dry but you could make an argument for Toronto being there. I would say the following cities have a clearly more visually striking skyline currently though:

NYC, HK, Chicago, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Seoul. Then you could make a case for places like Sao Paulo, Bangkok, Tokyo, Moscow and Panama City. Toronto definitely isn't out of place, but to say most people consider it top 10 is not entirely accurate.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,023 times
I agree that there is an argument that Toronto can be in the top 10 but there is a heck of a lot of competition, especially internationally. For instance, there are several cities in China that get overshawdowed by Shanghai/Beijing that have massive skylines that are similar to Toronto like Ghangzhou, Chongquin and Shenzen. Toronto is probably more safely in the top 15 though on a worldwide scale which is still pretty strong.

Skylines like anything else, however, are subjective. It is not just how many buildings you have up but its how they arranged, how architecturally beautiful the structures are, how they fit in with the landscape and scenery, etc. This is also why I don't think Toronto can match Chicago anytime soon. Toronto has a solid dense core but Chicago has too many architectural gems and more really tall buildings plus better scenery with the rivers, bridges, waterfront, beaches, etc. That's tough to match.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-14-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
for example this is Shenzhen's skyline 20th largest city in China. Do we think Toronto clearly beats it?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...hkpo1_1280.jpg

To say Toronto definitely has a place in the top 10 skyline on the world only shows how ignorant and clueless some Torontonians are about what's happening. There is a vast world outside the traditional western countries there. We are not in 1980 any more.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
There's a difference an aerial view of a big mass of tall buildings and a skyline. Shenzhen clearly beats Toronto in massiveness, but Toronto could still have the better skyline.

Sao Paulo is another example, far bigger than Toronto and far more buildings, but most would say that Toronto has a better skyline.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
There's a difference an aerial view of a big mass of tall buildings and a skyline. Shenzhen clearly beats Toronto in massiveness, but Toronto could still have the better skyline.

Sao Paulo is another example, far bigger than Toronto and far more buildings, but most would say that Toronto has a better skyline.
Toronto's skyline heavily relies on the CN tower. Too heavily. I have to give full credit to whoever made the decision to build it in 1976, it certainly makes Toronto stand out as one of the world's most recognizable skylines.

However, the story sort of ends here. The rest of our downtown skyline is lackluster, honestly. the half of dozen of old blueish- greyish glass buildings near CN tower are hideous, and the wall of concrete that is called "Harbour Square condos" are outrageously ugly sitting just on the south side of Queen's Quay and Bay st. Such an eyesore And if you move to anywhere east of Yonge, there is nothing but flat land.

The big towers in the financial district are also too close to each other, reducing the visual impact they are supposed to give. FCP, Scotiaplaza, Bay Adelaide Centre and Trump towers, four tallest buildings in the city, are jammed one against each other. I strongly prefer Chicago's style where tallest buildings are more evenly spread out.

What's a better skyline is a subjective thing. I would say for a city of 2.7M, Toronto is doing quite good. In 5-10 years, it will be a lot busier. However, there are many strong competitors there, and I wouldn't say Toronto definitely ranks one of the top 10 in the world. Top 10 among western countries, for sure.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quite frankly yes I do think Toronto has a better skyline than Shenzhen! Density does not equate to a better skyline. Toronto clearly has a more iconic and better balanced skyline than that. Additionally, Shenzhen is impressive even by Chineses standards as the city is linked to a heavily populated area in China and benefits from that economically meaning it punches above it's weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
for example this is Shenzhen's skyline 20th largest city in China. Do we think Toronto clearly beats it?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...hkpo1_1280.jpg

To say Toronto definitely has a place in the top 10 skyline on the world only shows how ignorant and clueless some Torontonians are about what's happening. There is a vast world outside the traditional western countries there. We are not in 1980 any more.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 PM

I think Chicago's skyline would be lowered down several notches without the benefit of having the Willis tower, perhaps not to the extent of Toronto and the CN Tower, but every city has a principle iconic building perhaps save for HK... Even NYC is iconic because of the ESB.

As for T.O, I like the density of the downtown cluster and you are starting to see a fanning out of tall buildings under construction as we speak - Aura instantly comes to mind so - same with the tower at yonge and bloor going up - 1 Bloor I think. ICE condo's tower is going to hit 235m along the shore, not to mention Ritz Carlton, Shangri La and Four Season's - again we are well underway - so uhem what's the problem lol??

East of yonge flat land??

this is flat land and this is NOT east of yonge!
Picture of Typical landscape for the north of Guyana: flat land with rice fields | West Demerara | Guyana

Back to Shenzhen - you can critique T.O's architecture and blandlessness all you want but what is so redeeming about most Chinese cities architecture including Shenzhen from a skyscraper p.o.v - now I say that is DENSE and BLAND! where's the balanced critique.

Do these cities have an eclectic balance of skyscraper architecture as Toronto.... ? We got Mies Van der Rohe, IM PEI, Durrell Stone, Daniel Libeskind and most likely Frank Gehry down the pike and if we can bag Foster cherry on top.... so uhem what's the problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Toronto's skyline heavily relies on the CN tower. Too heavily. I have to give full credit to whoever made the decision to build it in 1976, it certainly makes Toronto stand out as one of the world's most recognizable skylines.

However, the story sort of ends here. The rest of our downtown skyline is lackluster, honestly. the half of dozen of old blueish- greyish glass buildings near CN tower are hideous, and the wall of concrete that is called "Harbour Square condos" are outrageously ugly sitting just on the south side of Queen's Quay and Bay st. Such an eyesore And if you move to anywhere east of Yonge, there is nothing but flat land.

The big towers in the financial district are also too close to each other, reducing the visual impact they are supposed to give. FCP, Scotiaplaza, Bay Adelaide Centre and Trump towers, four tallest buildings in the city, are jammed one against each other. I strongly prefer Chicago's style where tallest buildings are more evenly spread out.

What's a better skyline is a subjective thing. I would say for a city of 2.7M, Toronto is doing quite good. In 5-10 years, it will be a lot busier. However, there are many strong competitors there, and I wouldn't say Toronto definitely ranks one of the top 10 in the world. Top 10 among western countries, for sure.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-14-2013 at 09:49 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 PM

Can't +1 you for this as I have to spread some love but it deserves it!

Quote:

Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 PM

Great post and I agree that we'll never have the classic gems that Chicago has and we can't fault T.O for that - just cities who are having their time in the spotlight at different times. I think it is clear though, that if Chicago doesn't start to soon develop the same mentality as Toronto with respect to vertical densification - T.O will close the gap with Chicago in terms of density and hight by decades end and that is not far off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I agree that there is an argument that Toronto can be in the top 10 but there is a heck of a lot of competition, especially internationally. For instance, there are several cities in China that get overshawdowed by Shanghai/Beijing that have massive skylines that are similar to Toronto like Ghangzhou, Chongquin and Shenzen. Toronto is probably more safely in the top 15 though on a worldwide scale which is still pretty strong.

Skylines like anything else, however, are subjective. It is not just how many buildings you have up but its how they arranged, how architecturally beautiful the structures are, how they fit in with the landscape and scenery, etc. This is also why I don't think Toronto can match Chicago anytime soon. Toronto has a solid dense core but Chicago has too many architectural gems and more really tall buildings plus better scenery with the rivers, bridges, waterfront, beaches, etc. That's tough to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto