Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but having a demographic policy that makes it easier to have kids has been shown to boost birthrates. Quebec had the lowest birthrate in Canada, but after bringing in just a few things like 5$ a day daycare it now has the second highest birthrate after Alberta. Maybe we won't get to strong natural growth, but we can make it easier for Canadians to do so if they want to. Really poor people have more kids then people in rich countries, but in rich countries, financially secure people have more kids. It's why Alberta now has a booming birthrate while all of the struggling families in Vancouver means the birthrate is crazy low. You can see the exact same dynamics going on right now in Newfoundland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yeah, but having a demographic policy that makes it easier to have kids has been shown to boost birthrates. Quebec had the lowest birthrate in Canada, but after bringing in just a few things like 5$ a day daycare it now has the second highest birthrate after Alberta. Maybe we won't get to strong natural growth, but we can make it easier for Canadians to do so if they want to.
sounds good, but where does the money come from? More taxes? Quebec gets $8B equilization payment from other provinces. If every provinces provides $5 a day daycare, where exactly does the money come from? the outter space?

It makes absolutely no sense to charge $5 a day to take care of an enfant when it costs $20 an hour to paint walls. People should have kids if they can't afford it. Wanna have 5 kids, make enough income first. You can't expect your neighbour and strangers to raise your children, can you?

plus, it has nothing to do with immigration policy. This let's do everything to keep Canada white agenda is stupid. Skin color is a very insignificant thing about a human being, and I don't see the point of stressing it that much.

The whole idea of race should be abandoned in Canada - stop describing people based on color on completely. Stop including it in the demographic surveys and stop talking about it. We don't talk about left handedness all the time, do we?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
sounds good, but where does the money come from? More taxes? Quebec gets $8B equilization payment from other provinces. If every provinces provides $5 a day daycare, where exactly does the money come from? the outter space?
It is a popular misconception in Canada to link equalization to the subsidized daycare program in Quebec. (Which is 7 dollars a day, BTW. Not 5.)

If equalization were to suddenly disappear the real impact on daycare fees in Quebec would be to increase them to maybe 7.75 a day. Or maybe 8 dollars. That's still a far cry from what people pay for daycare in Ontario or Alberta, where it's in the 35-50 dollar range.

If a province like Alberta decides to not offer subsidized daycare to its families, it's not in any way related to the fact that they can't afford it because they don't have the money or don't get equalization. It's because they make the choice to not offer it, and this contributes to keeping their taxes fairly low as we all know.

It has nothing to do with Albertans paying for Quebec daycare, and has everything to do with ideology and philosophy.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is a popular misconception in Canada to link equalization to the subsidized daycare program in Quebec. (Which is 7 dollars a day, BTW. Not 5.)

If equalization were to suddenly disappear the real impact on daycare fees in Quebec would be to increase them to maybe 7.75 a day. Or maybe 8 dollars. That's still a far cry from what people pay for daycare in Ontario or Alberta, where it's in the 35-50 dollar range.

If a province like Alberta decides to not offer subsidized daycare to its families, it's not in any way related to the fact that they can't afford it because they don't have the money or don't get equalization. It's because they make the choice to not offer it, and this contributes to keeping their taxes fairly low as we all know.

It has nothing to do with Albertans paying for Quebec daycare, and has everything to do with ideology and philosophy.
I admit that. Quebec can provide $7 day care because Quebeckers are paying more taxes.
Though I don't like it. $7 is an overkill and put unnecessary burden on taxpayers.When one is enjoying $7 child care, someone else is paying for that. I will never want to live in a place like this where one is constantly forced to pay for this and that services used by others. From day care to college tuition, from cradle or grave. It is excessive. One should be responsible for his own lifestyle, instead of depending on subsidy all his life.

One should determine how many kids to have mostly on his/her financial resources. The government can help, but not by this much.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
I admit that. Quebec can provide $7 day care because Quebeckers are paying more taxes.
Though I don't like it. $7 is an overkill and put unnecessary burden on taxpayers.When one is enjoying $7 child care, someone else is paying for that. I will never want to live in a place like this where one is constantly forced to pay for this and that services used by others. From day care to college tuition, from cradle or grave. It is excessive. One should be responsible for his own lifestyle, instead of depending on subsidy all his life.

One should determine how many kids to have mostly on his/her financial resources. The government can help, but not by this much.
I can understand your view even if I do not personally share it.

I myself who has barely ever used the medicare system in his life would prefer not to pay for healthcare for smokers and other people with high-risk behaviours.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM

43 posts, read 92,179 times
Quote:

Poor people have lots of kids because they have an incentive, they get more government money per each child, they also get a nicer public housing unit to boot. Believe me if they didn't have those perks they wouldn't be popping out 5 kids and would probably wear a condom.

To think that immigration is some kind of path to prosperity is poor thinking with no real data to back it up. Have our wages increased because of this? No they haven't changed since the 70s.

You mention Germany but it is hardly an under achiever, it has the strongest economy in the EU and is a leader in industrial innovation! Canada imports cheap warm bodies without actually thinking of a way to automate the process. It lacks competitiveness and is near the bottom of productivity world wide.

I'm not blaming immigrants, but having 250K per year with unemployment and under employment the way it is irresponsible. It's unfair to immigrants already here, and it's unfair to Canadians.

"I will never want to live in a place like this where one is constantly forced to pay for this and that services used by others. From day care to college tuition, from cradle or grave. It is excessive. One should be responsible for his own lifestyle, instead of depending on subsidy all his life."

But these things are necessary for the common good of society, I'm alarmed that you disagree with providing affordable care, education, health etc. for the common good of society, but you trumpet immigration? You think mass immigration is better than providing affordable care, education and health for society? Interestingly odd position to have.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM

347 posts, read 695,660 times
To me true diversity means you are so exposed to a wide range of cultures (apart from your own) that you find them "normal" and not exotic at all. Canada (Toronto) is not there yet.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 PM

True diversity? Diversity has always existed in my opinion it should not mean turning parts of one country into another country.

Diversity is just some twisted word it apparently makes us "strong" diversity is strength, when I was growing up it was unity.

Unity is strength, you can't build a solid home with different shapes of brick, you can't build a strong society with radically different cultures. If there is nothing uniting us what is there to stop anyone from dividing us?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfugfle View Post
True diversity? Diversity has always existed in my opinion it should not mean turning parts of one country into another country.

Diversity is just some twisted word it apparently makes us "strong" diversity is strength, when I was growing up it was unity.

Unity is strength, you can't build a solid home with different shapes of brick, you can't build a strong society with radically different cultures. If there is nothing uniting us what is there to stop anyone from dividing us?
So, who in your opinion, would be the same cut of that good, solid brick, to make a strong, united Canada? I bet I already know what your response is going to sound like before you even think it.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 PM

Similar compatible cultures = a strong nation

Can I ask you why you dislike gentrification?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto