Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times

Advertisements

I guess these arctic jackets will start appearing soon. It's fall in the city now. Lol.

http://canadadouche.tumblr.com/ is about to heat up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
I think it's a combination of several things:
  • the jackets are not overly attractive (especially the bomber style), which plays into unreasonable demand
  • they are extremely overpriced, avg $600-800, the price not based on actual value but designed to make buyer feel "elite"
  • originally built for extreme weather (mostly dry cold, not optimal for rain or excessive moisture), the relatively "balmy" TO winter is overkill
  • no one would buy it without the crest because the sole intent is to IMPRESS others. Is the value in the actual features of the coat, or in the little crest stitched to the sleeve? Remove it and see how fast they sell. The price would have to drop severely, which tells you all you need to know.
The jackets are simply what practical folks would call pretentious. Everyone is guilty of self-pampering and falling prey to branding and marketing. But the sheer en masse herding to buy these jackets is amusing to those of us who have seen similar trends come and go over the years.

It just gives the impression of people trying too hard. In a city like TO, where people are always accused of scrambling for an image of sophistication and trendiness, it gets noticed more, especially by those visiting from away.

Much harder to feel "elite" or "special" or "original" when everyone else has the same thing. So what else did they get for their hard-earned (debt) money? Meanwhile, Canada Goose rakes it in and laughs, their marketing dept cracking another bottle of champagne while congratulating themselves on a job well done.
You and others seem to be forgetting an important detail: Canada Goose jackets are made in Canada vs North Face jackets that are made in China. In Chicago everybody on the north side wears or has at least one North Face Jacket, but if the NF jackets were made in the USA nobody would buy one. So, are the jackets really overpriced?

I'll give you the style issue, I only like one style myself.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You and others seem to be forgetting an important detail: Canada Goose jackets are made in Canada vs North Face jackets that are made in China. In Chicago everybody on the north side wears or has at least one North Face Jacket, but if the NF jackets were made in the USA nobody would buy one. So, are the jackets really overpriced?
Just because it is fellow Canadians raking it in doesn't make it any less foolish to blow $650 on a winter jacket designed for extreme temps when you live in a city that enjoys balmy winters and is geographically positioned barely north of the California/Oregon state line.

As posted before "pretentious" is a word that comes immediately to mind.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Meh. If it gets really cold, I'll wear the $8,000 mink coat my mom left me when she died.
I don't approve of wearing fur, but leaving it my closet so they gave their lives in vain would be even worse.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Meh. If it gets really cold, I'll wear the $8,000 mink coat my mom left me when she died.
I don't approve of wearing fur, but leaving it my closet so they gave their lives in vain would be even worse.
I wear my fur coat when doing farm chores @ -30 or below. And I throw it into my vehicle if I am driving in bad weather because it will keep me warm no matter what in case I get stuck somewhere.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Just because it is fellow Canadians raking it in doesn't make it any less foolish to blow $650 on a winter jacket designed for extreme temps when you live in a city that enjoys balmy winters and is geographically positioned barely north of the California/Oregon state line.

Even worse than the posers are the people who buy them for their small (i.e. still growing) kids. Yeah, makes sense to spend so much money on a jacket that will only be good for one season. But hey, at least your kids won't be looked down upon for not being up with the trends. There's a difference between being practical and being stupid.

I still suspect it is not rich people buying these coats -- behind many of them is a credit card bill receiving only a minimum monthly payment. Debt = wealth for too many people these days, especially the younger generations who have only been taught to mindlessly consume and to accept constant crushing debt as a reality of life.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

What makes you think the Canada Goose Co. is "raking it in"? My main point is that the jackets cost more because the labor costs more. (The highest min wage in China is $2.57 CAD vs $10.25 in Canada.) I can't say whether the jackets are too warm for Toronto weather, but $650 isn't alot for a good jacket and I wouldn't call below 0° "balmy".

Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM

194 posts, read 423,113 times
In Montreal if you want a reliable jacket that will keep you warm for bellow -25C you have only two choices Canada Goose and Pajar. North Face, Columbia and the other brands are simply not made for -25C bellow. There isused to be Kanuk, too, but I cannot see them anymore, and by the way they were even more expensive.
The price is so high because there is simply no competition. If you would have few more brands producing the same type of parkas for similar quality it will come down.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 PM

15 posts, read 81,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2780 View Post
In Montreal if you want a reliable jacket that will keep you warm for bellow -25C you have only two choices Canada Goose and Pajar. North Face, Columbia and the other brands are simply not made for -25C bellow. There isused to be Kanuk, too, but I cannot see them anymore, and by the way they were even more expensive.
The price is so high because there is simply no competition. If you would have few more brands producing the same type of parkas for similar quality it will come down.

There is also Chlorophylle jackets made in Saguenay (Chicoutimi). They are in the same category as Kanuk made in Montreal.

Incidentally, the fabric mill for Canada Goose (Doubletex)is on a street in Montreal where I was working on a movie this summer. It is huge; takes up a long city block and operates 24hours a day. The machine operators seemed to be Bangladeshi or Sri Lankans. I sneaked in one evening and it was really big. They prepare the fabric which is sent to Toronto for assembly.

Last edited by Mount Royally; 10-24-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM

21 posts, read 175,514 times
If you think this Canada Goose is so bad, what do you guys suggest me to buy instead? Im going to spend only one winter in here, so I dont want to buy something very expensive but it has to be something that at least make me warm.. Ive already found one at Sears.. The brand is called Alpinetek. Have u ever heard about it? Is it good? Costs something like $120
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto