Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM

19 posts, read 71,632 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just had a quick question for you regarding the best way to get from Mississauga to Rogers Centre. My dad and I are coming in from Syracuse on Friday, April 19th in order to catch the Yankees in action for 3 games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We plan on checking into the motel in early afternoon on Friday. We'll be staying at the Days Inn at 4635 Tomken Road in Mississauga, and so I figure we have a couple of options for getting to the stadium each day.

Google maps lists the drive from the motel to the stadium as being 32 kilometers (29.5 km on the highway), and that it should take approx 23 minutes (assuming no traffic). If we chose this option, we would obviously park in a lot near Rogers Centre, which from my research would cost us about $20 per game, for a total of around $60. It's a very reasonable price, but my dad is concerned about what traffic will be like for the 7:00 pm Friday night game, as well as for the 1:00 pm Saturday and Sunday afternoon games. Having driven into the city before for a game, I told him that traffic is really never that bad, but I just want to check with the locals and confirm that this is still a reasonable option.

The other option for us that I see is that we could drive to Kipling TTC station, park at Kipling station, and then take the BLR subway 14 stops from there to Spadina station. We would then get on the 510 Light rail at Spadina station, and take that 9 stops to Charlotte St at Oxley St, where we would get off. From there, it's about an 8 minute walk to Rogers Centre. Total drive time from motel to Kipling station should be about 20 minutes, and then about 50 minutes on the BLR and light rail to get to the stadium. I couldn't find prices for the light rail segment of the trip, but it looks like it is $3 each way per person on the BLR portion, for $12 total. Assuming the light rail is another buck or two each way, we're looking at $15-20 total, so basically similar cost to just driving here and parking.

If we drove in and parked near the stadium, we'd probably leave the motel around 4:30 pm or so on Friday and grab dinner somewhere near the stadium, and we'd be driving back to the motel from Rogers Centre at around 10:15 pm. On Saturday, we'd leave the motel around 11:30 am for the 1 o'clock game, and leave the stadium around 4:15 pm. On Sunday, we'd check out of the the motel at 11:00 am for the 1 o'clock game, leave the stadium around 4:15, and drive straight home to Syracuse from there.

So I'm interested to hear what option you guys think is preferable, and roughly how long you think it will take to drive to/from each of the 3 days if we end up driving. If we elect to use the BLR and light rail, I'm just wondering about the parking situation (cost, space availability) at Kipling. Thanks so much for any help you can give us!

Last edited by jgolma; 03-03-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Hi, jgolma. Are you 19? If so, I say take the transit, and the two of you get drunk, have a good time, and not have to worry.

I'm not a local, but that's my advise. lol

Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM

Lol, thanks. Yes, I'm over 19. But we don't really drink.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM

I might have found a better way to get there if there is parking available at Dundas West station. Hopstop.com gives me this.

Driving to Dundas West station from motel should take 20 minutes. If we can park there, we can take the 504 light rail from Dundas West station (which leaves frequently, but 5:04 pm on Friday is an example). We stay on that for 29 minutes then we get off at King St West at Blue Jays Way/Peters St station. From there it's a 6 minute walk to the stadium. Sound reasonable?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Either 1) drive to the Kipling or Islington subway stations - both have parking or 2) park downtown. Dundas West doesn't have much parking and you'll be in traffic trying to get to it.
From the Kipling or Islington subway stations take the subway all the way to Union Station then walk - or take the Spadina streetcar (no additional fee).

Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Either 1) drive to the Kipling or Islington subway stations - both have parking or 2) park downtown. Dundas West doesn't have much parking and you'll be in traffic trying to get to it.
From the Kipling or Islington subway stations take the subway all the way to Union Station then walk - or take the Spadina streetcar (no additional fee).

Hey Katzpaw,

Thanks for the help. So the Kipling plan you mentioned is the same as in my OP, except you're saying that the streetcar at Spadina station is no extra fee if we came there on the subway? I had no idea, I just assumed it was extra.

If you were us, and you had access to a car, which option would you do? Assume that you don't mind paying $20 per game to park, because we don't care about it. Option 1 is about 70 minutes total including the drive there, and option 2 obviously depends on traffic. What would you estimate the drive time to be each day if we drive park near the stadium? And does parking at Kipling or Islington cost anything?

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Definitely park at Kipling and take the subway. Driving to the stadium is a pain in the ass. Better than Spadina would be to take the subway all the way to Union - there's an above-ground walkway called the Skywalk that will take you right to the Rogers Centre.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Definitely park at Kipling and take the subway. Driving to the stadium is a pain in the ass. Better than Spadina would be to take the subway all the way to Union - there's an above-ground walkway called the Skywalk that will take you right to the Rogers Centre.

Hey TOkidd,

Thanks, this seems like the best option actually. I assume the subway will also run until at least midnight or so (in case the Friday night game were to run really late), so we could take it back to Kipling station. Also, do you know how much parking at Kipling is and if finding a spot is ever a problem? Thanks for the info about the skywalk. That seems very handy.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
TTC Kipling Station
Daily rate is $5 between 5:00 am and 2:00 am.
Afternoon/Evening rate is $2 between 3:00 pm and 2:00 am.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
TTC Kipling Station
Daily rate is $5 between 5:00 am and 2:00 am.
Afternoon/Evening rate is $2 between 3:00 pm and 2:00 am.
Thanks katzpaw. That same link also says that it's free parking on weekends, so it looks like we'll only have to pay $2 total for the entire weekend. Definitely going to go this route. Ever heard of the parking lots there filling up? If that's not an issue then I think we're all set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto