Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM

31 posts, read 92,293 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Toronto for Sept 1st and I've had a real difficult time looking for suitable lodgings for me. I need a reasonably priced apt or roommate situation so I can save for a down payment on a house as well as intuition to do my M.A

I'm looking for a safe and clean neighbourhood, not too far from the west end so that I can commute to Brampton for work.

I've encountered potentially dangerously and crazy landlords. I had one woman send me threatening emails last night because I was not interested in viewing her property. I responded to her ad and decided minutes later that I was not interested. She then sent me rude and insulting emails. It was fatal attraction cook your bunny in a pot scary.

I've encountered paranoid landlords who have asked me for a Criminal Record Check despite that I am a teacher and have to have a clean record to work. This made me feel nervous because it made me question how safe her area was.

Bedbug infestations or cockroaches seem to be an issue.

My only option it seems now is rooming with a strange man I don't know because his apt seems to be in a nice neighbourhood. However, being a female, this makes me uncomfortable to room with a strange male I don't know.

Someone please give me hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,114 times
Most neighbourhoods are pretty safe in Toronto. The ones that aren't hit the news pretty fast. That said, some STREETS are safer than others. I don't know why it's your only option to rent with a strange man, keep looking. You should find something, maybe hire a realtor to find a lease for you.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM

328 posts, read 996,207 times
Why not look in Brampton or Mississauga for an apartment. It might be cheaper than in Toronto since it is in the suburbs.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
Why not look in Brampton or Mississauga for an apartment. It might be cheaper than in Toronto since it is in the suburbs.
I've lived in Mississauga since 86. I'm tired of it. I teach in brampton and I'm also fed up of that area too. Both places are not great for single gals like me

Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,213 times
IMO, the best parts of the city for single people are between Roncesvalles and Church, and Dupont and King. You could also consider Riverdale / Leslieville, and St. Clair West. As a "single gal", I think you'd probably enjoy living in these areas most.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 PM

127 posts, read 269,065 times
i try to move last spring to Toronto , as a fresh start , i encountered plenty of crazy landlords , some wanted references since xxyears, some wanted invite me to a dinner to see who i was , and sometimes as you mention i received weird emails it's probably because they are drunk.
the only normal answers i had them with property management companies, i didn't look for the room mate thing and i gave up and renewed my lease for my apartment in Montreal.
some areas are not that clean but they are safe and areas known to be a safe heaven to gangs sometimes have clean apartments.
if you want something in between i will suggest an apartment on Ct.Clair av , plenty of semi and high-rises there.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post
i try to move last spring to Toronto , as a fresh start , i encountered plenty of crazy landlords , some wanted references since xxyears, some wanted invite me to a dinner to see who i was , and sometimes as you mention i received weird emails it's probably because they are drunk.
the only normal answers i had them with property management companies, i didn't look for the room mate thing and i gave up and renewed my lease for my apartment in Montreal.
some areas are not that clean but they are safe and areas known to be a safe heaven to gangs sometimes have clean apartments.
if you want something in between i will suggest an apartment on Ct.Clair av , plenty of semi and high-rises there.
Hey thank you. I have a few weeks left to find a place. The last address that I googled for an apt was in Parkdale. Apparently, there was a murder in this building with a string of several other attempted murders (or beatings). I cancelled that viewing quickly. Lol. I've always wanted to move to Montreal but there are not a lot of job opportunities for me out there unfortunately. Montreal is a great city.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
IMO, the best parts of the city for single people are between Roncesvalles and Church, and Dupont and King. You could also consider Riverdale / Leslieville, and St. Clair West. As a "single gal", I think you'd probably enjoy living in these areas most.
Ya I heard a out Roncy. I'll maybe check that out next week! Thanks T.O Kidd

Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemisoutrageous13 View Post
Ya I heard a out Roncy. I'll maybe check that out next week! Thanks T.O Kidd
Parkdale really is a great neighbourhood. Maybe that particular building you checked out had a bad rep, but there are some good buildings and the neighourhood is a great mix of low/middle/high income, old Victorians and low-income apartments, trendy resto-bars, and old-school booze cans. It's a neighbourhood in transition and I would definitely try to find a place in a good building there. Avoid addresses on Jameson and Tyndall. If the building is clean and the residents seem nice, go for it.

The streets I named in the post you quoted were more borders for you to look within rather than particular streets to check out. There are some good buildings on Bathurst, just north of St. Clair West and a brief walk from St. Clair West Station. I lived there for two years and really loved the area, the building, and the proximity to the subway and downtown. Riverdale and the Danforth are also great places to check. Broadview north of Danforth has some good rental buildings within a five-minute walk of Broadview Station. Excellent location. I lived there for two years also. But the West End, from Spadina west to Roncesvalles, and DuPont south to King is my favourite part of the city and has the most rentals, singles, and young people. It's also one of the densest parts of the city, with lots of amenities and great transit options.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM

127 posts, read 269,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemisoutrageous13 View Post
Hey thank you. I have a few weeks left to find a place. The last address that I googled for an apt was in Parkdale. Apparently, there was a murder in this building with a string of several other attempted murders (or beatings). I cancelled that viewing quickly. Lol. I've always wanted to move to Montreal but there are not a lot of job opportunities for me out there unfortunately. Montreal is a great city.
i feel for Montreal the same way you feel for Brampton and Mississauga , I’m not saying it's not a great place to be but it's just personal , the area where i live is full of people from other provinces and the states , but i have to admit that Montreal is very easy to move in for new comers , landlords always accommodate for everyone's situation, i even managed to rent a place for friends who immigrated here before even set a foot so when they arrived they found the place ready. i was told on this one that landlord love new immigrants and immigrants in general cause they pay their rent and are not trouble maker.
Toronto seem not to be very welcoming when you try to find a place and landlords are sometimes like we say in French "marchand de sommei" (sleepness seller) for the bad conditions of their unit and the high and intrusive conditions they expect from tenants. it remains a great place to be, one of the best in the country . keep searching I'm sure you will find something great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto