Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

We all know Queen Victoria picked Ottawa as the capital of Canada for both military (easy to defend) and political reasons (mid way between Toronto and Quebec City). Put this fact aside and considering the current situation 156 years later, what's the best alternative as the Capital of Canada?

It is just purely hypothetical. So refrain from "We are fine with Ottawa as the capital" kind of comments. I am not suggesting moving. What I am interested in discussing is, what other city can better serve as the capital and also as a more livable city?

I won't be in Quebec (which always has the chance of leaving), or anything east of it. It will probably still needs to be in Ontario, where most of the population is.

Maybe Owen Sound? or Kingston? Ottawa is really too freaking cold for a captal city.

I don't think the distance to the border is important, as 1) the US is extremely unlikely to attack Canada 2) if it does, Canada has no chance to win no matter where the captal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:10 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ottawa is really too freaking cold for a captal city.

This does not bode well for the city that first came to my mind: Winnipeg!

Historically, the capital of Canada should probably logically have been Montreal.

Had this happened it would likely be the Buenos Aires of Canada today and the country as a whole would be quite different I imagine.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Historically, the capital of Canada should probably logically have been Montreal.

Had this happened it would likely be the Buenos Aires of Canada today and the country as a whole would be quite different I imagine.
Agreed. The relationship of Quebec to Canada would also probably have been very different with a capital city at Montreal. Really not sure how that would have played out. Anyways, it couldn't have been in the west because when Ottawa was chosen, when we had a need to establish a capital, the west was an unstable, sparsely populated war zone very remote from significant Canadian population centres. I think the most logical alternative that might have occurred would have been a capital city at Kingston, which would have been okay, but not better then Ottawa which was a great choice. If we're going to be completely ahistorical, Kelowna would have been brilliant as a capital.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Agreed. The relationship of Quebec to Canada would also probably have been very different with a capital city at Montreal. Really not sure how that would have played out. Anyways, it couldn't have been in the west because when Ottawa was chosen, when we had a need to establish a capital, the west was an unstable, sparsely populated war zone very remote from significant Canadian population centres. I think the most logical alternative that might have occurred would have been a capital city at Kingston, which would have been okay, but not better then Ottawa which was a great choice. If we're going to be completely ahistorical, Kelowna would have been brilliant as a capital.
An interesting question is whether the capital in Montreal, within Quebec would have made the rest of Canada more "French" given the greater francophone influence in the capital city and its environs.

Or would the fact that it would have been the capital of a majority anglophone country (already at that time) have made Montreal and even all of Quebec even more English and perhaps fatally weakened French in Canada.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I do like Montreal more than any other city in Canada, but I don't want it to be the capital because

1) the risk of separation (although low now)
2) it is too big, and it is preferable to have a pure political centre
3) too many politics will probably ruin the charm of Montreal

What do you mean it would be a Buenos Aires of Canada? It is as beautiful and Buenos Aires IMO

Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think the most logical alternative that might have occurred would have been a capital city at Kingston, which would have been okay, but not better then Ottawa which was a great choice. If we're going to be completely ahistorical, Kelowna would have been brilliant as a capital.
Why do you think Ottawa is a great choice? Other than being equidistant from Toronto/Quebec City, I don't see any advantage.

Military/defense rationale doesn't hold in today's context any more. Ottawa is rather awkwardly located.

As to Kelowa, there is no way the captal should be in the west, so far away from the population centre. Despite all the bandwagon about the rising of the west, Alberta+ BC (24% of total) is only slightly more than Quebec (23.6%) and much less than Ontario (38.4%). Sask and Manitoba combined is less than the city of Toronto.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM

sorry mods, this should be in Canada forum, not Toronto.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:

What do you mean it would be a Buenos Aires of Canada? It is as beautiful and Buenos Aires IMO
In that Montreal would have been the uncontested dominant city of the country (concentrating political and economic power) with no other city even really that close to it. It would probably be close to twice the size of present-day Toronto if this had happened.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Why do you think Ottawa is a great choice? Other than being equidistant from Toronto/Quebec City, I don't see any advantage.

Military/defense rationale doesn't hold in today's context any more. Ottawa is rather awkwardly located.

As to Kelowa, there is no way the captal should be in the west, so far away from the population centre. Despite all the bandwagon about the rising of the west, Alberta+ BC (24% of total) is only slightly more than Quebec (23.6%) and much less than Ontario (38.4%). Sask and Manitoba combined is less than the city of Toronto.
Ottawa is poorly-located for modern transportation purposes but one of its advantages is that it sits on the border between English and French Canada. So people who are associated with the country's government do have a choice of living in an anglophone or francophone environment. And because of this the federal government is pretty much guaranteed of never being completely isolated or alienated from either reality.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Vancouver. Asia is the future, whether you like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto