U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 11:05 AM

10,139 posts, read 16,469,831 times

Advertisements

I have considered looking for work and moving to Toronto now that I have Canadian citizenship. Initially, it looks like Ontario has an unemployment rate of about 7.6% does that sound right. I would be looking for a high tech sales job.

COL seems high. I believe I read on this forum housing costs are comparable to DC metro or NYC?

TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,559,985 times
Housing costs in Toronto are very high, but not quite NYC high. Typical rents for a one bedroom can start as low as $800 / month for a dumpy, out-of-the-way apartment in a low-income neighbourhood all the way up to $2500+ for a high-end spot in a nice neighbourhood.
Average prices for a decent 1 bdrm in a good area start at about $1200 and up.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Housing costs in Toronto are very high, but not quite NYC high. Typical rents for a one bedroom can start as low as $800 / month for a dumpy, out-of-the-way apartment in a low-income neighbourhood all the way up to $2500+ for a high-end spot in a nice neighbourhood.
Average prices for a decent 1 bdrm in a good area start at about $1200 and up.
Thanks all of my Canadian relatives live in Ontario, mainly Mississauga but they have been working at the same jobs forever and own a house many years so I reached out to CD.

When I read up and asked before on another forum it seemed that unemployment rate was about 7.5% and the mfg sector seemed to suffering from the rise in the loonie.

I would be looking for a job in high tech sales such as Canada Bell since I have a lot of telecom exp.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,559,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Thanks all of my Canadian relatives live in Ontario, mainly Mississauga but they have been working at the same jobs forever and own a house many years so I reached out to CD.

When I read up and asked before on another forum it seemed that unemployment rate was about 7.5% and the mfg sector seemed to suffering from the rise in the loonie.

I would be looking for a job in high tech sales such as Canada Bell since I have a lot of telecom exp.
I really don't know too much about employment prospects in your field in the GTA, but if you have experience you should be able to find something as that particular sector seems to be pretty strong, and there are quite a few telecom firms either based in TO, or with offices here. As always, try and secure a position before you make the move.

Perhaps someone employed in your field or a related one will read your post and be able to give better advice.

If I were you, I would avoid living in the suburbs near your relatives, simply because of the traffic gridlock and the stress that commuting into the city creates. This is assuming that your job is in Toronto. If not, then it's best to live near where your work, even if Toronto does provide the best access to amenities, transport, and entertainment. Until we get our public transportation system updated (which could take two decades), travelling from the suburbs to the city for work, or vice-versa, is just too much wasted time IMO, and we all waste enough time working as it is. For me, it makes more sense to pay the higher cost of living that goes with being in Toronto, but be able to take public transit into work and have all the amenities and entertainment I enjoy nearby.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I really don't know too much about employment prospects in your field in the GTA, but if you have experience you should be able to find something as that particular sector seems to be pretty strong, and there are quite a few telecom firms either based in TO, or with offices here. As always, try and secure a position before you make the move.

Perhaps someone employed in your field or a related one will read your post and be able to give better advice.

If I were you, I would avoid living in the suburbs near your relatives, simply because of the traffic gridlock and the stress that commuting into the city creates. This is assuming that your job is in Toronto. If not, then it's best to live near where your work, even if Toronto does provide the best access to amenities, transport, and entertainment. Until we get our public transportation system updated (which could take two decades), travelling from the suburbs to the city for work, or vice-versa, is just too much wasted time IMO, and we all waste enough time working as it is. For me, it makes more sense to pay the higher cost of living that goes with being in Toronto, but be able to take public transit into work and have all the amenities and entertainment I enjoy nearby.
Thanks for the helpful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto